Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zoot Horn Rollo

Looking for a real longshot recipe

Twisted Manzanita, which is a local brewery in my hometown of Santee CA, makes a fantastic blonde ale....Riverwalk Blonde. It can be purchased at the local Sprouts market or BEVMO. I could drink this stuff everyday but, the high price tag in those stores makes it a special occasion quaff. So now that I'm a Mr. Beer homebrewer and have been assimilated by the Borg, I have decided to lean upon my brethren of the brew for a little help. If anybody out there is familiar with this brew and has attempted to duplicate it, I would be grateful if a recipe could be posted. Link will take you to a description of said beer.

BTW the picture is of Mission Dam. This was the first dam built in California and was used to provide water for the Mission San Diego de Alcala. This mission is the first that Junipero Serra built of the twenty one missions that follow the coast of California from San Diego to Sonoma. It's a ten minute walk to the dam from my house and I spend a considerable amount of my time roaming and photographing Mission Trails Park throughout the year.

http://www.twistedmanzanita.com/our_beer/riverwalk-blond-ale/

Best, Zoot

From what I've read you may want to pick up some German Hull Melon, and Nelson Suavin Hops.  Sounds like you should do a steep with carapils, crystal 20, and a little marris or biscuit.   Add 12 oz of  light dme and 6 oz of wheat.  Kolsch Yeast to ferment.

Check out bear advocates review and that should give you a hint of what is in and what is not.

Dam!?

Damn!

When some one is talking California and blonds I expect to see pictures of butts and/or boobs!  Not DAMS!

But seriously (which is something I don't do very often).  I think RickBeer's relative (he's from Michigan and all the dumbass hicks from Ohio will tell you that everyone in Michigan is related) is on to something.  I wouldn't know if it would be a clone of the "River Walk" or not but it sounds like it could make a very tasty beer.  I find the use of Kolsch yeast yeast to be most interesting.

(Hey, look at that...One post and I pissed off three states.  AND the entire female population of the United States.  I'm on a ROLL!)

:D :D :D

• Like 1

Dam!?

Damn!

When some one is talking California and blonds I expect to see pictures of butts and/or boobs!  Not DAMS!

But seriously (which is something I don't do very often).  I think RickBeer's relative (he's from Michigan and all the dumbass hicks from Ohio will tell you that everyone in Michigan is related) is on to something.  I wouldn't know if it would be a clone of the "River Walk" or not but it sounds like it could make a very tasty beer.  I find the use of Kolsch yeast yeast to be most interesting.

(Hey, look at that...One post and I pissed off three states.  AND the entire female population of the United States.  I'm on a ROLL!)

:D :D :D

Not all of us are related.  Just the ones that go to Michigan State...... BADA ZING! ;)

Kolsch was the easy part.   River Walk says that they use Kolsch.   The metallic or  medicinal taste that reviewers on Beer Advocate describe I would guess is flaked maize was used somewhere in the boil!   Just a guess though.

• Like 2

Holding my tongue here ... refusing to rise to the bait ... I will not be provoked into responding to this badgering from the Wolverines.  :P

• Like 2

Holding my tongue here ... refusing to rise to the bait ... I will not be provoked into responding to this badgering from the Wolverines.  :P

Sorry couldn't resist!

• Like 1

one thing to try is get on sum forums with more folks from California who may come in contact with a recipe similar or sumone who knows? its a lengthy longshot, but u never know

Here is what I can figure on this one.

The experts may have better ideas - please suggest....

Useful references

http://beer.underthelabel.com/l/37147/Riverwalk-Blonde-Ale-Twisted-Manzanita-Ales

ABV 6%

IBU 25

Beersmith also mentions use of Kolsch yeast or Blonde Ales.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/03/21/blonde-ale-recipes-and-beer-style/

More info...

http://allaboutbeer.com/review/riverwalk-blonde-ale/

ABV: 6
ABW: 4.7
Bitterness: 24
Original gravity: 1056

Coriander spice aroma

Kolsch yeast fermenting temp 60-70 deg, higher end would give more esters.

Review comment as being "like a Witt" suggest adding some wheat malt in there also will help with big head retention.

So I am guessing  these ingredients:

Czech Pilsner HME  base.  The 27 IBU there is enough IBU  except adding more malt will make it taste less bitter so will need to add hops.

I would add 0.5 oz Hallertauer or Saaz in a bag at end of boil and 1 TBS coriander seed, crushed,  in same bag. You can make it a little more bitter if you want by boiling for 5-10 min.

Added Malt extract to get 6% ABV ~ need 2.5 % added, with ~ 1% per Mr Beer malt pack, = approx. 2.5 packs. If using DME, it is easy to use 1/2 a pack.

So make it 1.5 Pale, + 1 Golden (or 2 Pale + 1/2 Golden  Pale malt claims "biscuit"   characteristics.

From what I can research best yeast for Kolsch style is to get one of the liquid Kolsch yeasts from White Labs or Wyeast

If you want to use dry yeast,  Some brewers talk of using S-05 dry ale yeast but it might not give the same esters.

How to brew says for S-23 dry yeast  "This yeast develops soft estery notes at the recommended temperature range of 48-59°F and more ale-like characteristics at warmer temperatures. From what I have read, I am speculating that this is a Kolsch or Alt-type yeast. "

So maybe you could try S023, easier than a liquids yeast and cheaper.

Brew Process

So - sterilize equipment as usual , put  LME/HME on hot water to soften

boil your 4 cups of water, adding the 1/2 pack of DME while only slightly warm and stir until it boils.

add the hops and coriander in a bag (and boil them if you want more bitter for 5-10 min  - maybe 2-4 IBU) then take off heat

add the remaining LME/HME and stir until dissolved.

Add this to the  8 qts COLD water in the LBK. Add cold water to 8.5 qt.  Stir/aerate.

when 70 deg , sprinkle in S-23 yeast and ferment at 60-65 deg for 3 weeks,

Bottle, prime,  and keep for 4 wks.

Wolverines!  :angry:   Do I look like I got a wedge of cheese on my head!  Try one more to the west.

;) ;) :D

I have to ask - did the OP ever, y'know... Google-search for this recipe?

:)

Well Slym.... in a word,nope. (hangs head in shame). Just dashed off a few sentences before engaging in real life over the weekend. So this morning, I did the search and "maybe" a recipe is on Pinterest.(I don't have or want an account)  Nickfixit and I'll Drink That  had some great input....many thanks, guys. I'll probably cobble something together based upon those posts. Last of all, please allow me to beg forgiveness for my torpid neglect in following the accepted rules and regulations adhered to by the beer borg community.

Best, Zoot

please allow me to beg forgiveness for my torpid neglect in following the accepted rules and regulations adhered to by the beer borg community.

Best, Zoot

No need, man. I was just asking a question, and it in no way reflects the rules & regulations of this community, nor do I claim it is how anyone else here thinks. That was just me, again, asking a question.

^_^

My question for Zoot is what was your impression of the beer, flavors, mouth feel, etc.   I've read alot of the reviews on BeerAdvocate.   Some reviewers report flavors of melon, strawberry, grape, passion fruit, pinapple and a lemon grass finish.  Also almost all reviewers report a slight metallic taste.

Just curious to know what your impressions are, seeing that this is not a traditional Blonde!