Mr.Beer Community
Huggie's Highlands Brewery

Hoppier Twist on Wild Wheat

I just brewed a Wild Wheat with a hoppier twist!  I know you should use Saaz or Hallertau but I wanted a hoppier wheat, as I have been drinking a Hoppy Hefeweizen made here in Canada by Creemore Brewery.  So here is what I did

1 can Bavarian Weiss

1 can CAL

but instead of using the Saaz

i did a 20min boil of 1/2oz Chinook

and did 1/2oz Chinook dry hop for some great flavour and aroma

I am just curious on everyone's take on this and how you pro's think this will turn out. As always I enjoy your input!

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

A lot of the "fruity" hops go well with wheat beers. I have one in the wings I want to use Galaxy hops in, as I hear they taste like Fruity Pebbles.

:)

• Like 1

i'm in my secondary with the tangerine wheat, which i was missing the citrius hop flavor so i added falconers flight/cascade/glacier, dry hopped for 3 days, i think it really mellowed out the over power wheat taste which helped bring out the sweet tangerine flavor effect. its close to bottling soon, after a cple of weeks in the bottle, and i try one and satisfied, ill post the recipe. just sucks tho, i type with one finger lol, so its gonna take me quite sum time to get all this down

• Like 1

Wild Wheat was one of my favorite Mr. B recipes, and I think your addition will likely work very well.

I'm currently drinking a 5g extract batch of American Pale Wheat ale with the following hop schedule:

60m  .25 Chinook, .25 Simcoe

20m  .25 Chinook, .25 Simcoe

Flameout / 30m hop stand  2 oz Citra, .5 Chinook, .5 Simcoe

Dry Hop 1 oz Amarillo

Malt is 50/50 Wheat / Pale LME, with steeped Carapils. Really enjoying it - lots of hop flavor without the bitterness I look for moreso in an IPA.

doing a 5 gallon attempt of wild wheat, I added 2 oz. of honey malt grain to it, so far it smell awesum! will be racking it tonight into the secondary, and try a sample! I can't wait!

• Like 1

Honey malt is good stuff, but can be overpowering. Fortunately, 2 oz is perfect for a 5 gallon batch. Sounds like it's gonna be a good one, HoppySmile. :)

• Like 1

ur right on the money with that Josh! I added sum honey malt to a sol cerveza I brewed a few months ago, at first I thot I went overboard with it, but with a little time in the bottle it settled down and you can taste the honey slighty

• Like 1

What temp did you ferment it at?  Two cans would be 6.2% ABV, not too high. 

the honey malt really refined the wheat flavor quite a bit! when I did the 5 gal method, I added 1 extra can of American classic to produce a full 5 gallons and it came out to about 4.5 gallons. after strenuous calculations using pie are square and triangulating the hemispherical destinations of mathematical equations, I realized that I drank half a gallon sumwhere during secondary fermentation......

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Huggie's Highlands Brewery said:

Should this have come out Strong alcohol tasting? Its good some bite to it!! Still kinda appley tasting even now after several months in the bottle

A strong alcohol flavor (sometimes called hot) is often a result of fusel alcohol, which is usually a result of fermenting too hot. IIRC, fusel alcohol will usually not condition out. 

Apple cider taste is usually a result of acetaldehyde, which should condition out, usually after a few weeks. Are you sure it's not just the fusel?

• Like 1