Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zoot Horn Rollo

Bottling Day Today For Camilla's Folly.....Hop Sack Question

It's finally time to bottle this batch. I've cold crashed in the refrigerator for 3 days after a 21 day fermentation. Although I've tilted the LBK back away from the spigot to keep the trub from clogging up the works during bottling; I still have a huge sack of hops floating on top. What do you guys do when you have a hop sack to deal with? I was thinking about plucking it out with a sterilized set of tongs before beginning the bottling or just leaving it and using a small strainer to keep the spigot clean. Any tips?

Best, Zoot

usually I wash hands - soap & water good rinse - then grab the sticking out bit without putting fingers in wort and remove it - yeah sanitized tongs are good. I have used tongs.

Since you are sanitizing bottles, you will have some liquid to sanitize tongs.

Per Josh's suggestion, I have been removing the hop sack before crashing. Works very nicely. I use a long-tined fork, and snag the part that is above the wort.

make sure ur sanitized thong can pick up the hop sack consistently, I had to throw my thong away bcuz it fell apart when I tried to "pluck" out the hop sack

make sure ur sanitized thong can pick up the hop sack consistently, I had to throw my thong away bcuz it fell apart when I tried to "pluck" out the hop sack

Sounds like it was time of a new one anyway. :-D

• Like 1

isn't the Camilla's folly brewed with the CAL? got a new kit for a good frnd and trying to get he&his g/f to brew a Camilla's folly instead of brewing it straight up.

My wife would be very mad if I threw one of her thongs away  :)

• Like 1