Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
scouterbill

Rehydrated yeast

Started my batch of Winter Dark coffee ale the other day and decided to rehydrate the yeast this time. The process of rehydrating the yeast fit in nicely with my brew day and after 1/2 hour I had an active bunch of yeasties ready to start consuming some sugars. Pitched the `cream` at 80f and placed the LBK into the fermentation chamber with 4 ice bottles. The wort temp was down into the mid 60's in a couple of hours. 5-6 hours in I had krausen starting to build and at 12 hours the krausen was all the way to the lid. I'm at day 3 now and the krausen hasn't subsided yet. LBK temps are holding in the mid 60's. I can't wait to see how this batch turns out. I believe that I will be rehydrating my yeast from now on out!

• Like 1

when pitching dry yeast into an lbk, even with the die off from not rehydrating (osmotic shock)  you are still pitching a ton of yeast cells.  an 11g sachet typically is good for 5 gallons.  now, that being said why wouldn't you rehydrate? start the little buggers off healthy and happy?  pitch enough and you get less lag time because they don't have to populate before eating.

either way works fine though. 

Let me know how you like it with the coffee. I saw the stout and coffee recipe and wanted to try it with the winter dark also. I have enough to make 6 gallons and I was thinking bottling 2 gallons in liter bottles with a shot of whiskey and 2 gallons with coffee. The other two I'd decide later what to do.

Let me know how you like it with the coffee. I saw the stout and coffee recipe and wanted to try it with the winter dark also. I have enough to make 6 gallons and I was thinking bottling 2 gallons in liter bottles with a shot of whiskey and 2 gallons with coffee. The other two I'd decide later what to do.

My plan is to add a cold brewed coffee at bottling time. That way I can dial in the flavor that I want for this brew. I'll keep updates coming.

Some dry yeasts call for rehydration (Nottingham, for instance) - some do not. I cannot see a reason why doing ti ti any dry yeast could hurt it...

you just have to know what temp of the water is optimal for rehydration.   not all yeasts are the same.  I think if you shoot for an average of body temp ie 98f you'll be fine with most dry yeast. get much higher and you might start cooking their little brains out.

it's a good way to gage health of the yeast too... by seeing if they sink and bob and form tannish cream...

some of the fermentis say just sprinkle on top of wort.. . .  

When pitching a hydrated yeast we want a maximum of 5^ temperature differential between the yeast vial and wort correct?

Danstar yeast says (Windsor, Notty):

• Attemperate in steps at 5-minute intervals of 10°C to the temperature of the wort by mixing aliquots of
wort. Do not allow attemperation to be carried out by natural heat loss. This will take too long and
could result in loss of viability or vitality.
• Temperature shock, at greater than 10°C, will cause formation of petite mutants leading to long-term or
incomplete fermentation and possible formation of undesirable flavours.

Fermentis yeast says (S-05, S-04) nothing about temperature difference.  

me stooped.. not know what alley quats are...  :P

the first time I read danstar's instructions I felt the pangs of the failed education system in America.  then I looked it up.

what I do is basically add a teaspoon of the wort to the hydrated yeast... stir... add another... stir... repeat until the yeast culture is near the temp of the wort (about 10 degrees f as was mentioned).  I cant recall where I heard but I think yeast can go about 15 f difference in temp from culture and wort before they start getting thermal shock.  I'm sure they are more resilient than that but...

• Like 1

Rick, I wasn't saying I ever read it on a manufacturer's site. From many users at other sites, that is what they recommend & use.

:)

For Clarity,

10^ is a maximum temperature diference and adding a teaspoon of wort in intrevals will enhance yeast productivity @ toss. The added wort will produde a temperature that is closer to the batch temp.

While Notty and others require re-hydrate it is not an essential as some have reported good results with a dry toss. I will stay with re-hydrating on all yeasts from now on regardless.

The liquid crunch pack yeast comes next but for now,

Lets Make Beer