Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
crashlaz

Question on MB hard cider refill!!!

i was checking my S.G today to see about bottling my cider that i got from mr. beer. O.G was 1.043 today it was 1.000. seems good to me, but cant find any info on what abv is supposed to be so should i let go longer or bottle it up? its been fermenting since August 15th.

ok perfect thanks. i was thinking there was no point in leaving it in. and i came up with 5.64 abv just like calculator so ill be bottling tonight. thanks again. also bottling oktobefest tonight too. cant wait till they are ready to drink!

• Like 2

What kind of yeast does the cider kits use? I'd think an ale yeast wouldn't attenuate that low.

Also, Josh - 1.000 means there isn't any more sugar left? Then how do wines regularly go below that? I made my hard cider (apple wine/Apfelwein really) using champagne yeast and it went down to almost .990 (1.060 OG for an ABV of 9.2%).

What kind of yeast does the cider kits use? I'd think an ale yeast wouldn't attenuate that low.

Also, Josh - 1.000 means there isn't any more sugar left? Then how do wines regularly go below that? I made my hard cider (apple wine/Apfelwein really) using champagne yeast and it went down to almost .990 (1.060 OG for an ABV of 9.2%).

It's an ale yeast, but because the cider doesn't contain residual sugars like malt does, almost all the sugar gets fermented.

Wines can go below 1.000 SG because of their higher alcohol content and lack of residual unfermentable sugars. Alcohol has a lower gravity than water because it's slightly less dense. The higher the alcohol of a wine or spirit, the lower the final gravity will get. This doesn't happen with high ABV beers like barleywines and such because they contain unfermentable residual sugars from Crystal malts and non-malt adjuncts.

• Like 2

Ah, so the only reason my Apfelwein got below 1.000 was because of the addition of a cup of sugar. That makes sense.

:)

Ah, so the only reason my Apfelwein got below 1.000 was because of the addition of a cup of sugar. That makes sense.

:)

I don't think it drops below 1.000 because you added sugar. Sugars like sucrose, glucose and fructose are 100 percent fermentable by yeast (wine and ale yeasts are the same species although they may be cultivated to deal with different pH and different concentrations of sugar and temperatures etc) . That you added sugar simply bumps the ABV and while say, table sugar would not fundamentally alter the taste of the cider  it would affect the ABV, acidity, dryness, mouthfeel matrix..

I don't think it drops below 1.000 because you added sugar. Sugars like sucrose, glucose and fructose are 100 percent fermentable by yeast (wine and ale yeasts are the same species although they may be cultivated to deal with different pH and different concentrations of sugar and temperatures etc) . That you added sugar simply bumps the ABV and while say, table sugar would not fundamentally alter the taste of the cider  it would affect the ABV, acidity, dryness, mouthfeel matrix..

Unless he's referring to additional post-fermentation chaptalization to increase the ABV. This could lower the SG to below 1.000.

Where the hell do I find instructions for a cider refill??

Hmm... I couldn't find it on any of the refill lists for some reason, but I did type in "hard cider" in the search bar and got hits. Do that, scroll down a little until you see Product Information, and click Instructions right beside that.

There are at least more than 3 different ways of finding them on our website.

Click on the button at the top left of the site that says "Our Brands", then click on the Mr. Beer Hard Cider icon.

Or you can click on the Refills/Recipes dropdown on the main site and at the far right, click "Hard Cider" (under "Popular Recipes").

But if you only want instructions, click on "World Class Support" at the bottom of any of our pages and the cider instructions are there.

They are also on our support page: http://support.mrbeer.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516860-view-or-download-our-latest-brewing-instructions

And can also easily be found with Google: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Mr.+Beer+Hard+Cider+Instructions ;)

So basically, not on the "refills" list, where one might logically think they'd be, but in the "recipes" part.

That's the last I will mention this. The thread I started earlier can be deleted if the mods/admins like. I am not here to start trouble, and apparently my logic isn't kenning to anyone else. I am used to that.

:(

• Like 1