Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Caffrey

Horse's Ass Ale

My third brew was Horse's Ass Ale - fermented 3 weeks, bottled 4 weeks, chilled for about 4 days before I tried the first one to kick off the NFL season last night. Really enjoyed this recipe -- I'm surprised at how hoppy it tastes. Great amount of carbonation. Slight taste of honey. Dry finish. I just brewed this recipe again but added 1 oz of Columbus Hops -- now I'm a little concerned it may come out TOO hoppy, but I'm hoping for the best.

Kevin

post-66196-0-49980200-1441994052_thumb.j

• Like 5

Looks nice. You're getting me thirsty! ;)

Yeah -- no carapils used to get the head. I think I left too much headspace in my last two brews (Oktoberfest and the HAA) -- basically three inches instead of two. So it takes me about five minutes from the time i open it until the time the head settles to about an inch. It's nice to have the head, but the waiting is annoying (it's the hardest part, or so I've heard...). Anyway, here on out i'm just leaving about an inch and a half of space in each PET bottle.

Somewhere recommended 1" below the collar/ring on the neck. Sounds like that's about 1-1/2" anyways...

• Like 1

That does look refreshing.

Speaking of Horses Ass I have a Procto exam and thinking about 4 Irish Stouts. I hate to see the look on the Physicians face but payback could be he!! here.

My Irish Stout Has More foam than any brew I have made yet but it is bitter. You could not buy a beer that has this much foam cold. I have to get a photo of the next glass but not today. :D .

Cheers

Never had Weihenstephaner's Weissbier, eh? You get maybe 2-3 ounces of liquid and 20+ of foam...

:D

So what does cause the excess head since it seems most have indicated the mr beer recipes do not yield much of one w/o carapils?

At 34 days conditioned, the HAA is REALLY good, with the honey coming out more in each sip.

Are there two cans of HME in the Horse's Ass recipe? One can with >2 pounds of malt might leave a head to be desired. 4 pounds of malt, probably gonna have a good head.

If only there was a place to go for that answer...

RECIPE INCLUDES:

1 Can Classic American Light Brewing Extract

1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of Brewing Extract)

1 1/2 oz. Packet Cascade Pellet Hops

1 Muslin Hops Sack

1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

YOU PROVIDE:

1 Cup Honey

I was asking a hypothetical, really. As in "IF it has two cans of HME, it won't need help. If it doesn't, then IDK."

;)

I made a batch of Horse's Ass Ale with a 2nd CAL HME in it.  It raised the ABV up around 7.5% and is a good beer.