Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wendell4

Can you put brown plastic bottles in the dishwasher?

I lost my instructions and wonder if I can put the brown beer bottles in the dishwasher?  I do not want to melt them if they are not supposed to be washed that way!  Please help!

Even it they will withstand the heat, I do not think the dishwasher will get enough water up inside.

I wash mine by hand.

I give them a thorough rinse after I empty the bottle (hold up to light to check for debris)  and then re-cap loosely and store until needed.

If there is cloudy debris inside I use a bottle brush when lining them up for sanitizing before bottling then use the ~ 10 min soak in sanitizer solution.

Heated drying in the dishwasher is how the bottles are sanitized. The heat cycle is too warm for the p.e.t. bottles and may deform them. Wash with oxyclean or unscented dish soap then sanitize with Mr. Beer sanitizer or Star san.

• Like 1

No bottles - whether glass or PET, will come clean in the dishwasher as Nick noted.

All instructions are online...

• Like 1

Yea, what they said. I've got some 1 Liter PET bottles that my LBK's previous owner had ran through his dishwasher, it damaged them somewhat. They still work and look okay and he had noted on the few bottles where the damage was and from what. He said something about hand-washing them instead of using the dishwasher, so I always hand wash them.

I lost my instructions and wonder if I can put the brown beer bottles in the dishwasher?  I do not want to melt them if they are not supposed to be washed that way!  Please help!

To put it simply, no you cannot.  You're not going to be able to get them clean using only the dishwasher.  The water and detergent will not be able to get into the bottle for adequate cleaning.  Have you ever tried to reheat a "microwave safe" plastic container with spaghetti sauce in it and then afterwards it is permanently stained red?  If your bottles are not clean and you heat them up in the dishwasher, you could set the stains and odors in the plastic forever. 

Glass bottles may be sanitized in the dishwasher because the heat does the sanitizing.  Plastic bottles should be sanitized with a chemical sanitizer.  Glass and plastic still need to be cleaned before you sanitize them.  Clean your plastic bottles with warm water and a dye and perfume free detergent.  Rinse the bottles thoroughly and then sanitize with the Mr. Beer sanitizer.  I've stopped using plastic in favor of glass because it is more durable, easy to clean, and I prefer the 12 oz. size, but I know many in the forum use plastic.  The plastic bottles will work just fine for many uses if you clean and care for them properly.

Don't use the dishwasher, get yourself a beer bottle brush and wash by hand. Last thing you want is some crud up in the bottle that spoils your beer.

No. Plastic will deform and although glass can withstand the heat, due to the small bottle opening, they will not clean well. BTW, Let plastic bottles dry completely, do not cap them. When they are totally dry store the uncapped bottles covered with a sheet of wax paper, newspaper or similar. Give the bottles a quick rinse in a sanitizer just prior to use. I store some of my bottles upside down after they have been cleaned. If you cap plastic bottles, you risk mold and other nasty things growing. 

Don't use the dishwasher, get yourself a beer bottle brush and wash by hand. Last thing you want is some crud up in the bottle that spoils your beer.

No.  The bottle brush is for GLASS bottles.  It may scratch the inside of the plastic bottles giving the no-see-um-nasties a safe harbor to grow and ruin your beer.

• Like 3

Right. Bottle brushes are abrasive on the soft plastic. Soak and shake vigorously, rinse well. 

i made the mistake of using very hot water capping the bottle and shaking it to rinse it out. The result was a collapsed bottle that would not return to the orignal shape .i have been using warm water cap the bottle shake and dump and then rinse again. it seems to be working for me.then they are sanatized and ready to use again. 

Don't throw those collapsed bottles out kp.  Fill them 1/4 of the way with seltzer, shake to expand, then put them in a sink full of tap-hot water.  This is supposed to get them back to their original shape.  Not sure when/where, but I saw this on Google somewhere...  and Google never lies. ;)