Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zoot Horn Rollo

Finally a batch that I'm happy with...

Cracked a bottle of VooDoo that I bottled early August. I know it's too soon for a fully conditioned experience but, I must say, it tasted good to me. For once there were no cider notes and the brown sugar in the recipe came through without overpowering everything else.Carbonation was right on the mark as well. I must give credit to everyone on this board for providing support and encouragement. I have been on the fence about continuing this hobby but this batch has made me feel that I can do this. Once again, many thanks to all you who have advised and remained calm during my rants

Best, Zoot

• Like 8

My last three batches (spiced Christmas ale, wild wheat and winter dark ale) have all come out excellent as well. Next batch I'm going to attempt to craft another IPA I posted in another thread.

Congrats, Zoot! Try the WDA next, I think you'd like it.

Or the RIS I made using MrB's Stout HME... I can post the recipe if you want.

:)

• Like 2

Congrats, Zoot! Try the WDA next, I think you'd like it.

Or the RIS I made using MrB's Stout HME... I can post the recipe if you want.

:)

Winter Dark Ale is excellent..

be bottling the Australian sparkling ale Saturday, then bottling my extreme scream tangerine wheat,  with all of u yacking about the WDA, I can't wait to taste the one brewing now! oh screw it! i'm gonna chug it all right now, i'll get back to ya with the results

Congrats Zoot, glad your sticking with it. RANTS????? There are no such thing as rants when asking questions, I personally have had the same feelings as you at times or questions as I just started this hobby in May as well. I just never asked the questions because you or someone else beat me to the question. Glad your sticking with it though.

• Like 1

First; a disclaimer:  I haven't brewed Mr. Beer products for a few years.  But in the years that I did brew Mr. Beer I was almost always completely satisfied with the results.  The vast majority of my "less than completely satisfied" experiences were due to my own faults and.or short-comings.  (Frankenstein beers)  The only Mr. Beer-caused "less than completely satisfied" experience was from my very first brew.  I can't remember what it was called back then (BC (Before Coopers)) but I'm sure it was right in line with their CAL or whatever they're calling it now.  It tasted like beer but it was flat and not at all like I had anticipated it to be.  The only reason I did another batch was because I thought I had something wrong to the beer.    The next batch was something like "1776 Ale" or something like that and  BAM! I made a darn good beer.  The next brew was something called Wheelhouse IPA or something.  It was an excellent brew and I knew (or at least thought) I was well on my way to becoming a brew master.  (How little I knew at the time how vast and varied this hobby can be and how far I was and still am from fulfilling that expectation.)

But with all of that being said, I have never understood why Mr. Beer introduces the new-comers to this hobby with what IMHO is one of if not their weakest products.  I say put one of your premium brews into the starting kits.  They're not that much more complicated than the CAL type brews but the results are always incredibly higher.  Impress the new guys right out of the starting gate and I think you'll get an even larger loyal fan base than what you have already.

So, good for you, Zoot for sticking to it.  Keep learning in small steps and you'll soon be making beer that anyone would be proud of.

• Like 3

"Because Bud Light is America's #1 selling beer so why not give the home-brewer what he is familiar with?"

Did I get that right, Josh, Josh, & Tim?

:D

"Because Bud Light is America's #1 selling beer so why not give the home-brewer what he is familiar with?"

Did I get that right, Josh, Josh, & Tim?

:D

If the home brewer wants Bud Light it would be cheaper and easier just to go to the store and buy it. 

• Like 3

We can not argue with success, The Bud will give you a nice headache and Mr Beer gives you gas sometimes.

Its a fair trade and I prefer gas once in a while with the ability to make the next best beer.