Mr.Beer Community
LClark1049

Did I Ruin My Beer ? ? ? ?

I brewed the Bavarian Weissbier Deluxe and after letting it ferment for 2 weeks I took it out to bottle. I noticed that there was yeast floating on the top and after sampling saw that the beer was cloudy. I tasted a small amount and it did taste like flat beer. I then opened the lid to examine the contents and yes it was cloudy and it looks like yeast was still floating on the top. Does it need to ferment longer? AND did I ruin my beer (if it did need to ferment longer) by opening the top? Thanks in advance for any help.

it is really hard to accidently ruin beer. unless you are sticking a spoon in the toilet or up the cat's rectum then using it to stir the beer around, you'll most likely be fine. oh and never stir or agitate beer after it starts fermenting... UNLESS the yeast have gone to sleep and you need to gently rouse them.  (don't worry about this for now)

yeast makes the wort extremely toxic to foreign critters like other yeast, mold, bacteria. it is alcohol after all that they are making.

weisbiers are traditionally cloudy.. and yes, it is common to see yeast rafts floating around with krausen bits and hop dust on top.

normally we suggest letting it ferment for 3 weeks before bottling.  if you have a hydrometer and get a gravity reading around 1.01 i would hazard that it was done.  it probably is done anyway if it tastes like beer and not sweet.

opening the lid is a bad idea only because bad junk can fall in.  the air is full of dust, yeast, pollen...   if you doubt it take a photo with a strong flash . see all them orb looking things? that's dust (not ghosts).  these things can enter the beer and sometimes cause problems.  don't sweat it too much.

i say if it tastes like beer just go ahead and bottle it and keep your fingers crossed... (don't forget the priming sugar).

Yeast rafts and cloudiness are normal. 2 weeks isn't quite long enough, the yeast are still cleaning up after themselves. Give your beer at least 1 more week in the fermenter. That will give you time to purchase a hydrometer. The only way to know if fermentation is complete is by taking specific gravity readings at least 2 - 3 days apart. Hopefully you didn't leave your lid off long. You should be fine. Put your LBK back where it was for one more week and get ready to bottle by next weekend. RDWHAHB (Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew) and spend some time reading the forum. Lots of great information. When you see a post by RickBeer, click on (and read) all of the different links in his signature field. Most of your questions will be answered.

he could bottle and just give it an extra week or two conditioning time. you still have yeast in the bottle. they could finish up then. the main concern in 2 weeks would be 'is it really done fermenting'?  if you use plastic bottles this wouldn't be a huge concern. plastic bottles don't turn into bottle bombs.

Did I Ruin My Beer ? ? ? ?

Yes. Unforgivably. Give up home-brewing & take up gardening.

Or pottery. I hear pottery is nice.

:P

i remember one of my first posts on my first batch.... it went something like:

i made the beer , put in the yeast.. and its been 3 hours and NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!!! OMG DID I MURDER THE YEAST??? is my beer ruined????

we all go through this phase i would hazard....  

I guess I am not like most people, then. I read, and read, and read some more before I ever brewed a batch. Still made a mistake or two along the way, but never had a freak-out.

That being said, my post above was, of course, in jest. To the OP, please don't take it seriously. I like to joke around, but I also like to think it is obvious when I do so.

:)

it is really hard to accidently ruin beer. unless you are sticking a spoon in the toilet or up the cat's rectum then using it to stir the beer around, 

well, that sums up what i've been doing wrong..   :o   

At least the cat will be relieved...

well, that sums up what i've been doing wrong..   :o   

At least the cat will be relieved...

Maybe this could be a new Mr. Beer recipe:  Cat's Ass Ale!

• Like 3

one of the OG posters here... I think it was mashani but not sure now...   posted how while brewing one day his 2 cats or a cat and his dog got into a fight... and the cat ended up plopping its butt into the brew pot.  the beer still came out ok.

yeast are really incredible. thank goodness they aren't the size of poodles. we'd be in serious trouble.

• Like 1

I will be dreaming of yeast the size of Langoliers tonight... and how they are coming to "clean up after me"!

:o

• Like 1

I will be dreaming of yeast the size of Langoliers tonight... and how they are coming to "clean up after me"!

:o

Maybe that could be Stephen's sequel or maybe even a prequel?

The yeast should be well into a full fermentation on the 2 week mark but can do better.

Mr. Beer kit directions used to call for a 2 week ferment but the more complex the recipe the more observation is required.

I studied the forum quite a bit before brewing and took simple notes, following the dvd directions along the way while brewing and the 3/4 works great. CAL is forgiving.

Other HME makers ferment for two weeks but require a secondary fermentation period in a diferent vessel with added sugar for yeast health and cleaner higher ABV beer. 5gal plus.

I think the Mr. Beer recipies are best @ 3/4 with minimal extra steps.

That Cat story is off the wall but I have a bird, cat and a dog whew!! a viscious circle of stalking.

The next batch will always be better if not a learning experience.

Cheers

Hey just wanted to give you an update, beer is bottled and nestled comfortably in a closet finishing up it's fermentation. 

Yes I did taste it and it was good.  I guess my taste buds have not been thoroughly trained yet, because last week when I tasted my beer, I thought it tasted like stale beer, but after this past week I believe that the beer was sweeter in the first tasting.  Yes it has all been bottled and is resting comfortably in my coat closet/beer fermenting and storage room.

• Like 1

The deluxe Weissenbier tend to do this from my experience. I actually thought I had an infection but it all turned out fine after getting advice from the fella's on here. I have brewed a few more batches of it (it does tend to be my favorite) and I get a few rafts or small yeast chunks floating on the surface. It is best to give it about 3 weeks and then it clears up better.

opening the lid is a bad idea only because bad junk can fall in.  the air is full of dust, yeast, pollen...   if you doubt it take a photo with a strong flash . see all them orb looking things? that's dust (not ghosts).  these things can enter the beer and sometimes cause problems.  don't sweat it too much.

i say if it tastes like beer just go ahead and bottle it and keep your fingers crossed... (don't forget the priming sugar).

Zorak for the love of God do not let my children ever hear you say that about glowing dust orbs....for 10 years everytime they see one in a picture they scream ghost! I just tell them it is my evil nature surrounding them....they don't believe that one either.

prove you are evil incarnate. get an old 110 instamatic camera and put a flash cube on it. have someone take a picture of your face. if you didn't use an elevator stand on the cube to raise it, your eyes will come glowing red.this is of course proof positive that you are in cahoots with the lord of darkness. if you can roll your eyes back into your head and in a voice like possessed regan from the exorcist say 'your mother's in here with us father Damien...would you like to talk to her? dimmie...why you do this to me dimmie why....'.. then make evil gurgling noises..IT WOULD BE SO COOL!

I got to be honest zorak, I never noticed a lessening of red eye in the 110 pics. with an elevator. I know that's what they claimed, but never noticed any lessening of the number of pics that came out with red eye. 

Just a final note, I did not ruin my beer.  It has been about 3 weeks since I bottled my beer and one "accidentally" fell into the fridge last night.  Of course I felt obliged to try it this evening and it was great.  Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

• Like 3