Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
coalminer83

Conditioning/Carbonation Tablets/Drops

Ok so i'm ready to bottle my beer and I've always used the Carbonation Drops from Mrbeer.com.  however i use 12oz bottles and and it calls for those drops to be cut into 3/4 the size...well a pill cutter breaks and when i tried other, more redneck, methods they just ended up in inconsistent sizes.  

I went to my local Beer and Wine Supply shop and bought Conditioning Tablets instead.  The woman there said that i could use those in place of the carbonation drops.  

But i got to thinking, are they two different things?  If i use the Conditioning Tablets do I need to add priming sugar?  Or are the conditioning tablets the same as the carbonation drops?  

I'd like to bottle tomorrow, so any quick replies would be great.  

We have no idea what "conditioning tablets" are. Read the package. Or use regular table sugar. Do not use multiple sugar sources in one bottle.

I use 1 Mr. Beer carb drop per 12oz bottles. I haven't had any issues with carbing.

That will result in highly carbed beer.

Or you can simply use 3/4 tsp of regular sugar.

in addition to the conditioning tablets?

No. "SIMPLY use 3/4 tsp of regular sugar".

I use 1 Mr. Beer carb drop per 12oz bottles. I haven't had any issues with carbing.

That will result in highly carbed beer.

I've made 4 batches using 1 drop and never had it over carb on me.

Yeah, it will come out very fizzy, but unless you do it for a stout, it really isn't too out of character for most beers. Seems to be right on the edge of what is deemed safe for using in a 12-oz bottle, i.e., 3.2 vols. of CO² or so.

Each carb drop = 1tsp of sugar. Therefore, instead of 3/4 carb drop, use 3/4 tsp cane sugar since it's easier to measure.

Conditioning tabs are basically the same as carb drops, but they are made of maltose (from malt extract) instead of from sucrose (cane sugar). The amount to use depends on the brand and size (the contents may vary between brands...sometimes it's dextrose, glucose, or a combination instead).

That's great - but using a teaspoon of sugar in a 12 oz bottle is too much.  Many people use 1/2 teaspoon.

For future batches, why not just batch prime?  There are numerous threads you can read on batch priming?  Every bottle will have the same level of carbonation and the only thing you need to do is buy an additional LBK and some food grade tubing to transfer the beer from the fermenting LBK... There is a little more work involved in batch priming, but in my humble opinion, the extra effort pays for itself.

I don't batch prime for two reasons: simplicity, and sanitation.

Simplicity in that, I don't have to batch-prime. I don't need another LBK or a Slimline. And my results are consistent, as a level 1/2 tsp (plus a level 1/4 tsp, if that's what I am going for) is consistent enough that your tongue couldn't tell the difference if one bottle had 2.28 vols. CO² and another had 2.301...

Sanitation in that, much like I don't move my beers to a secondary FV, I don't want to expose the beer to oxygen. Bottling from primary reduces that risk to basically nil, and racking to a bottling bucket is the same amount of oxidation as racking to a secondary.

So, IMHO, batch-priming isn't worth the effort.

:)

• Like 1

i siphon mine into a secondary, when i batch prime, and to me batch priming is so much easier. because the siphon is used it eliminates pulling in excess oxygen, so u get best of both worlds.

Oh yeah - less to clean (and possibly not get clean, leading to an infection)! No tubing, no racking canes, no secondary itself...

:P

• Like 1

ha ok you guys are a LITTLE more advanced than me.  I'm still working out of my Mr Beer 2 gallon kit.  I haven't been confident enough to move forward yet.  But thanks for the help!

ha ok you guys are a LITTLE more advanced than me.  I'm still working out of my Mr Beer 2 gallon kit.  I haven't been confident enough to move forward yet.  But thanks for the help!

I started batch priming on my 3rd batch... It's really pretty easy.  But, there are issues mentioned by slym2none which are valid issues.  But RickBeer also talks of "Piece of hose, slimline, no siphon..." which I prefer.  When you feel comfortable with the process, it's all about personal choice. 

• Like 1

Me either.  I've found that 1 drop per 12 oz. is just right.

Ok so i'm ready to bottle my beer and I've always used the Carbonation Drops from Mrbeer.com.  however i use 12oz bottles and and it calls for those drops to be cut into 3/4 the size...well a pill cutter breaks and when i tried other, more redneck, methods they just ended up in inconsistent sizes.  

I would think that one of the most popular bottle sizes for home brewers would be the 12 oz. size considering that is what store bought beer is bottled in.  I’m sure Mr. Beer chose plastic instead of glass for their kits otherwise you might be saying to your friends:  “I got a Mr. Beer Box-O-Glass for Christmas.”    

The third batch I brewed was a mix of 740 mL plastic and 12 oz. glass.  The glass bottles with one Mr. Beer drop were carbonated perfectly whereas the plastic bottles were a little weak when compared to store bought beer.   From then on I’ve used one drop per 12 oz. bottle and I’ve never had an over-carbonated bottle even after conditioning some of the bottles at 80+F.

https://youtu.be/L3dq9dxEf2c

Did you use 2 drops in the 750mL bottles, or just one? Because a 750 is basically 24 ounces (not going to be precise) so if you used two drops in one of those, it should be carbed about where your 12-oz bottles were.Otherwise, yeah, one drop is gonna make it pretty flat-feeling.

Did you use 2 drops in the 750mL bottles, or just one? Because a 750 is basically 24 ounces (not going to be precise) so if you used two drops in one of those, it should be carbed about where your 12-oz bottles were.Otherwise, yeah, one drop is gonna make it pretty flat-feeling.

Yes, I should have mentioned that I used the recommended 2 drops per 740mL bottle and conditioned for 4 weeks at 70+F.  I would not say the 740mL bottles were under-carbonated, but the 12 ounce bottles with one drop have always had perfect carbonation.

So is it regular sugar or cane sugar? or even corn sugar? which works best?

All work the same.

• Like 1

Corn Sugar comes in powder form and takes a lot of troubleshooting out of the mix.

It is available at LHBS and Mr. Beer mabye.

Follow the same guidelines as table sugar.

Well, carb tabs didn't do anything. No fizz whatsoever. Been conditioning for 10 days... Did cold crashing in fridge kill the yeast??

Well, carb tabs didn't do anything. No fizz whatsoever. Been conditioning for 10 days... Did cold crashing in fridge kill the yeast??

Cracked open a second one (warm, but I had to check) and it was slightly carbed. I'm guessing I should have used 2 per 740ml instead of 1.5 tablets per 740ml. Will it carb more after 10 days?

Thanks Rick. Noticed alot of people saying they crack one a week or two in to check the flavor (mainly beginners and the impatient). Didn't think the carbonation took very long. Thought most of the time was flavor conditioning time.

No cold crashing did not kill the yeast.  I cold crashed for 2 weeks while I went on vacation and the stout it became carbonated perfectly.

These drops are a contentious thing. Weird.

I just use table sugar, it dissolves almost immediately, and I just tried my "sample" bottle of the WDIPA I bottled Sunday night with my brew-bro last night. Perfectly carbed in 3 days! My last batch took over 10 days, though I was storing the bottles in a spot that was a little too cool.

• Like 1

These drops are a contentious thing. Weird.

I just use table sugar, it dissolves almost immediately, and I just tried my "sample" bottle of the WDIPA I bottled Sunday night with my brew-bro last night. Perfectly carbed in 3 days! My last batch took over 10 days, though I was storing the bottles in a spot that was a little too cool.

Yeah, I'm going to use table sugar for my cider tomorrow night. And probably for the Weissbier as well as the Cali Dreamin next month.
  • Like 1