Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
syncman

Liquid HME from someone else?

Been through pretty much all the basic refills from Mr Beer. Is there anyone else selling something similar? maybe 5 gal. size? Cant be bothered with whole day brewing and boiling.

Brewers best makes kits for 5 gal batches. They have a difficulty rating on them; if I'm assuming correctly the easy ones are just hops and LME. I've never made one yet but I think as you step up then they give you grains and such. That may all be a lie though

Same thing over at morebeer.com. They have ale kits that are "easy" they have free shipping over $60 too.

Mr. Beer doesn't stop at just the basic refills. Try some of the recipes, too: http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/recipes

I have to admit that I don't use Mr. Beer products any more but it's definitely NOT because they are inferior in any way.  I just outgrew them and wanted to move on to another place.

So what Josh is saying is just what I was going to tell you; Mr. Beer has a huge recipe file beyond their basic recipes.  I don't see any reason - if you're not wanting to go to "whole day brewing" - to go anywhere else for HME beer kits.

• Like 2

There are lots of other canned kits out there, including those made by Mr. Beer's parent company Cooper's.  But, you can make any kind of beer style using the Mr. Beer HME's.  Take a look through their recipes and even if you don't find what you want, you can get some ideas and do a little experimenting yourself.  I started with Mr. Beer and then moved on to extract and whole grain because everybody said I had to and also because I was curious.  I even made several batches with Muntons and Coopers kits.  What I found was that the beer I make with Mr. Beer HME"s using my own adjuncts and recipes was every bit as good as beer made from extract kits or from all grain.  So, I now mostly just do Mr. Beer to save time.  I add DME/LME, sometimes combine cans, add hops (sometimes) and often change out the yeast.  Occasionally I'll even steep some grains.  You can do so much using their HME"s as a base and I haven't found a style of beer yet that I can't make.  That's my experience and your mileage may vary; batteries are not included and some assembly will be required.

• Like 2

I have to admit that I don't use Mr. Beer products any more but it's definitely NOT because they are inferior in any way.  I just outgrew them and wanted to move on to another place.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. It's the natural evolution of the homebrewer. While we would love to see our customers brew with our products for years (and many do), we ultimately want them to succeed in brewing, even if it means leaving us for all-grain. There are MANY breweries around the country that are run by former Mr. Beer brewers. They were inspired by how easy it is to make good beer, and they eventually "graduated" to all-grain and started their own breweries. Now breweries are popping up everywhere and the more craft breweries there are, the more people will be introduced to craft beer. This, in turn, will inspire even more burgeoning brewers to start their first batches, and many will choose Mr. Beer. We're playing the long game here. lol

• Like 3

I have no plans to give up my LBKs despite not using the HMEs.  Big attraction for me is 2.5 gallons weighs one-half of 5 gallons.  I can carry an LBK (in a Rubbermaid tub) up and down stairs and lift it in and out of the fridge without hurting my back.  21 pounds instead of 42 pounds.  And I can fit 2 per shelf in the fermentation fridge but couldn't fit one pail if I wanted to.  

• Like 4