Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

New Fall Seasonal - Imperial Red Ale - NOW AVAILABLE!!

Seasonal-ImperialRedIPA-700x300.jpg?t=14

Introducing our new Fall seasonal, Imperial Red Ale!!!

September 23rd marks the first day of fall. More importantly, it brings the announcement of our limited edition 2015 Fall Seasonal! This year's one-of-a-kind refill is our Imperial Red Ale, and you can buy it now for only $24.95. 

With its rich, dark red hue, this full-bodied Imperial Red Ale exhibits many qualities of a standard red ale, but with double the malt and hops. The robust, sweet, toasted malt character is perfectly balanced by a bold, pronounced hop profile, and fruity esters from the yeast.

As temperatures start to cool down and fall colors start to appear (unless you are in the desert, like we are) this robust red ale is the perfect homebrew to end the day with. Or start the day with if that's your style. We won't judge.

Cheers!

http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/seasonal-refills/imperial-red-ale-2015-autumn-seasonal

• Like 1

Now that sounds like something I need to brew!

It is. We had a tasting a few weeks back, it's really good.

I would have to order at least two to make it close to financially feasible, 3 would be better... but IDK if I would want that many of one HME!

No offense intended, it's the shipping that kills me. I spend $20-25 on an extract batch as it is, but I don't have to pay to have it shipped to me, my LHBS is literally 2 miles away.

Then again, a Mr. Beer brew day is so nice, short, and much cleaner than even my extract batches w/ steeping grains...

*pulls out hair*

• Like 2

No offense taken! The extra money goes to a short, easy brew day. There's pluses and minuses either way.

• Like 1

Shipping costs keep me from ordering twice as much. That $24 HME is actually $32 when shipping is included. I see stuff online that says "mr beer free shipping no coupon needed" go to the site and it's all a lie

I see stuff online that says "mr beer free shipping no coupon needed" go to the site and it's all a lie

May I ask where you're seeing that? Unfortunately, we can't really stop people from going on coupon sites and posting codes from old promotions and stuff like that. If it's on a website that isn't ours, we probably didn't post it. As far as shipping, I know that $7.95 can end up being a big percentage of the order depending on what you get, but it's also a flat rate, so if you order one refill or ten it's still $7.95 (in the continental US and not to PO boxes, but otherwise).

For whatever reason I can't paste a pic or link from my phone... But I always check retailmenot.com at stores before I check out

• Like 1

For whatever reason I can't paste a pic or link from my phone... But I always check retailmenot.com at stores before I check out

Well, it never hurts to try, but like I said we don't post codes on retailmenot or any sites like that, so unfortunately we can't make any guarantees about codes posted there.

Do you know how this was brewed?  Was it a straight can or was DME/LME added?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Do you know how this was brewed?  Was it a straight can or was DME/LME added?  Thanks.

We sampled it as a straight can, I don't believe Josh R has really gotten around to tinkering with it yet.

Thanks Tim.  I'm looking forward to trying this one.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was just the can itself. It's really good, but I would suggest a but of conditioning time on this one for best results. I think the next one I make will have a bit of hops in it. I might add some DME, but not a lot since I don't want to alter the color too much. It's a very pretty beer. :)

• Like 2

Yeah, it was just the can itself. It's really good, but I would suggest a but of conditioning time on this one for best results. I think the next one I make will have a bit of hops in it. I might add some DME, but not a lot since I don't want to alter the color too much. It's a very pretty beer. :)

Pretty?  Don't see that in the BJCP guidelines...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmv3WlKa6U8&feature=youtu.be&t=12s

• Like 2

Any indication of what hops are used in the brew itself, so if we wanted to "up that game" some, we'd have an idea on where to start?

I usually see EKG used in reds, or other noble varieties, but I have also seen people use Cascade in their reds.

Any indication of what hops are used in the brew itself, so if we wanted to "up that game" some, we'd have an idea on where to start?

I usually see EKG used in reds, or other noble varieties, but I have also seen people use Cascade in their reds.

Not sure. That's Cooper's proprietary info. If I had to guess, I would say it's something English such as EKG or Fuggle.

• Like 1

Not sure. That's Cooper's proprietary info. If I had to guess, I would say it's something English such as EKG or Fuggle.

Thanks, Josh! Now, what are you thinking about using if you "hop yours up some"?

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.   :o

Bring it!!!

:lol:

• Like 1

Thanks, Josh! Now, what are you thinking about using if you "hop yours up some"?

Well I like piney/citrusy American hops so I will probably use Simcoe or Amarillo (or both). Maybe Mosaic...

• Like 1

Dispatching Mr Beer drones

*gets out over-sized tennis racket strung with titanium wire*

Serve 'em up!

:P

• Like 1

With the complaints on shipping costs, I would wait for a MR B sale with free shipping over $$. and order them then. There has to be other stuff you will need to make up the $$.

I am looking at the WDA still being on sale, too... 2 of those, one of these new HMEs, $55 shipped - that's >$18 a batch, which is about-to-less than I pay for an extract w/ hops-boil batch.

That WDA is tasty, too... anyone who thinks Mr. Beer can't make beer as good as any other kit out there needs to taste that one. I imagine the craft series & the seasonals are probably all like that.

Ugh... I got into a "conversation" with a fellow over on another site who said the best things about HME-beer making was "it just makes beer." Then I find out he's never made one nor tasted one. Loser... I almost told him to send me his address so I could send him a bottle of my WDA, then I thought better of it. Screw him.

Anyway,  yeah... I am seriously looking at what I said above. That would be worth it.

:)

Hmm  for 4 WDA, the cost ea. with shipping is < $13 so that maybe your best way to go and wait for the free shipping offer to get the seasonal.

I have one at 3 wk in bottle, and 2 more cans so I am good for now I think.

Thanks Josh.  You guys are a very bad influence because when I decide to try a new beer or recipe I can't just stop with one.  I have several boxes stacked up of stuff I need to get brewed.  And then drank.  Or is it drunk?  Which is what I'll be with all the supplies I have to consume.  See the problem you're causing?

• Like 4

Any idea how long this will be available? I really want to order it, but my wife's bday is coming up as well……. obviously the wife's bday wins in terms of importance, so I'll have to wait to order this tasty treat.

• Like 1

Seasonal brews are produced all at once, and sold until gone. They tend to last several months or more. Unless your wife's birthday is in like May and it turns out to be incredibly popular, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

Perfect! Looks like I'll be drinking this autumn brew in the winter, but I don't mind  ;)

• Like 1

Last year's Fall Seasonal, ESB, is still available at this time ...

• Like 1

A question for the group: at what temperature should the Imperial Red Ale ferment at? I just received my can in the mail today and my typical setup is an igloo cooler with frozen water bottles (1L). I usually leave one in for a 12 hour rotation which keeps the wort at about 64 degrees.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

S-04 yeast: 12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 15-20°C (59-68°F)

So 64 is perfect.

• Like 2

S-04 yeast: 12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 15-20°C (59-68°F)

So 64 is perfect.

Rick, thanks for your timely and valuable input.

• Like 1

I can see the seasonals that are available go all the way back to Spring 2014.

Was there no winter seasonal between Fall 2014 and Spring 2015?

• Like 1

The Winter 2014 Seasonal was the Belgian Spiced Ale. It was very popular and sold quickly compared to the others.

• Like 1

Ok, so I have to know: has anyone tried this one at home yet? I'm not saying that I don't value the Mr. Beer employee input, but you guys are pretty much pros.

I don't believe I ordered my can right at the seasonal launch, but I did just bottle it on Halloween. I plan on waiting until the 5 week mark to give it a taste. Has anyone cracked one sooner or later? Thanks in advance!

Ok, so I have to know: has anyone tried this one at home yet? I'm not saying that I don't value the Mr. Beer employee input, but you guys are pretty much pros.

I don't believe I ordered my can right at the seasonal launch, but I did just bottle it on Halloween. I plan on waiting until the 5 week mark to give it a taste. Has anyone cracked one sooner or later? Thanks in advance!

What was the OG? 0.0X0 the X indicates weeks bottle conditioning(minimum)

What was the OG? 0.0X0 the X indicates weeks bottle conditioning(minimum)

You sir, might've just convinced me to by a hydrometer (two, considering their suicidal tendencies). I am still relatively new to brewing and figured that I would eventually buy one, but the timing seems better than ever. In the interim, should I go with the OG specs listed on the website?

Thanks again!

A red ale will take kindly to more conditioning time. 5 weeks sounds good for a minimum.

I definitely figured as much. Thanks for your input and I'll mark the 5 week point in my notes for now.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2015 at 2:12 PM, MRB Tim said:

Just opened a bottle of this brew that's been conditioning seven weeks. Great color, nice clarity, decent head on the poor but it has that dang green apple aroma and taste reminiscent of the CAL. There is a hint of malt taste behind the green apple but I don't know if it will become more pronounced with anymore conditioning. I brewed this straight up, fermented at 64-66 for three weeks, cold crashed for three days and batches primed. 

The Australian Sparking Ale tastes the same. Again brewed straight, fermented three weeks 64-66, cold crashed three days and batch primed. Both brews bottled the same night. 

What gives????

4 hours ago, sabres032 said:

Just opened a bottle of this brew that's been conditioning seven weeks. Great color, nice clarity, decent head on the poor but it has that dang green apple aroma and taste reminiscent of the CAL. There is a hint of malt taste behind the green apple but I don't know if it will become more pronounced with anymore conditioning. I brewed this straight up, fermented at 64-66 for three weeks, cold crashed for three days and batches primed. 

The Australian Sparking Ale tastes the same. Again brewed straight, fermented three weeks 64-66, cold crashed three days and batch primed. Both brews bottled the same night. 

What gives????

You must be doing something wrong...mine turned out great. I had the green apple taste in 1 out of my 44 batches so it can happen. I was scratching my head after that brew as well.

10 hours ago, sabres032 said:

What gives????

Sabres,

Do you bottle prime or batch prime?  If you batch prime, how old is your bottling bucket?  How do you clean your bottling wand?  Do you remove the o-ring and clean it each time?

I ask these questions because I had the same issue a while back.  No matter what I did, temp control, overboard sanitation, declorinated water, I  just could not get the cider taste out of my beers. My bottling bucket was nearly a year old and had some very minor scratches on the bottom.  I replaced it and now no issues.

2 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Sabres,

Do you bottle prime or batch prime?  If you batch prime, how old is your bottling bucket?  How do you clean your bottling wand?  Do you remove the o-ring and clean it each time?

I ask these questions because I had the same issue a while back.  No matter what I did, temp control, overboard sanitation, declorinated water, I  just could not get the cider taste out of my beers. My bottling bucket was nearly a year old and had some very minor scratches on the bottom.  I replaced it and now no issues.

Bottling bucket is about five months old. I clean that, the bottling hose and wand with a few drops of clear dish liquid in cool water and gently wipe the surfaces with paper towels. Rinse it well and finish cleaning with Sani Clean. The spigot and bottling wand are disassembled cleaned in the same fashion. I inspect my bucket before every use and haven't see any scratches. 

I sometimes use my bottling bucket as a fermenter, since I also brew kits I get on sale from NB, so that's why I clean it so well. I have never had a strange smell in the bucket to date and the "other" kits have not had that green apple taste.  Bottling or brew day I rinse it very well and sanatize with StarSan before use.  

My bottles are cleaned inside and out with the clear dish soap and cool water, rinsed very well and air dry. Bottling day I fill each to the top with StarSan, let soak for five minutes, drain and put on my bottle rack (that's also sanitized with StarSan) and bottle. Bottle caps are in a small bowl of StarSan until ready for use and the capper is sanatize with StarSan as well. 

I condition and lager my beer in the downstairs utility room where the ambient temperature is 68. With the exception of my first two batches (CAL and Aztec) every other batch has come out great. 

Edit: After reading through my notes the Imperial Red and Australian Sparking batches were bottled directly from the LBK's. Didn't batch prime them so that takes the bottling bucket out of the equation. Sanitation process for bottling was the same though. 

20 hours ago, sabres032 said:

What gives????

Well, it sounds like you were monitoring the temperature pretty closely. Any idea what the temperature was when you pitched your yeast? Are you using refrigerated water to fill up the LBK when you add your wort, or room-temperature?

4 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

Well, it sounds like you were monitoring the temperature pretty closely. Any idea what the temperature was when you pitched your yeast? Are you using refrigerated water to fill up the LBK when you add your wort, or room-temperature?

My notes say yeast was pitched at 68 degrees. After brewing I chilled the wort to 75, added refrigerated water bringing the temp to 68. After I pitched the yeast I put the LBK's in my igloo cooler that was chilled to 65 with ice bottles. I kept rotating the ice bottles during primary holding temps between 64-66. After primary I just put cold water bottles in the cooler which maintained temps 64-66 fit the final two weeks. 

My temperature probe was tapped to the flat, non spigot side of the LBK that was insulated with a folded pillow case. I'm pretty confident my fermentation temps never went above 70. This is the same process I used in past batches that turned out phenomenal. For the life of me I can't figure out what I did wrong, that's why I'm kind of disappointed how these two batches turned out. 

All looks good, but the math doesn't make sense. If you chill wort to 75 and add it to refrigerated water in the LBK, then top off with refrigerated water, temp would be much, much lower.  But if you then checked before you pitched, and it was 68, you were fine - just probably something in your writeup I am not understanding. 

How is the carbonation level on these two batches?  Sometimes if it is high the carbonic acid will give a cider type of bite to the beer.  Does the taste go away if you let the beer warm and degas? 

How old was your starsan?  Had you used it on other batches prior to these?  Were these two batches both brewed the same day as well?  Did you use spring water or declorinated tap water on both batches?  Did you sanitize the spouts on your LBKs before bottling?

Just trying to get to the bottom of the issue.  Any one of these could be contributing to the issue.  It sounds as if it may be an infection since it is a one time thing and both batches were bottled on the same day.

2 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

How is the carbonation level on these two batches?  Sometimes if it is high the carbonic acid will give a cider type of bite to the beer.  Does the taste go away if you let the beer warm and degas? 

How old was your starsan?  Had you used it on other batches prior to these?  Were these two batches both brewed the same day as well?  Did you use spring water or declorinated tap water on both batches?  Did you sanitize the spouts on your LBKs before bottling?

Just trying to get to the bottom of the issue.  Any one of these could be contributing to the issue.  It sounds as if it may be an infection since it is a one time thing and both batches were bottled on the same day.

1) The Imperial Red was bottle primed with 1/2tsp table sugar and the Sparkling Ale was bottle primed with 3/4tsp table sugar. Both had a good head on the pour but absolutely no leaving in the pint glass. The Apple taste did memo mellow out as the beer warmed. I'd say once the Red reached 50-55 the malty flavor was more pronounced. Once the Sparkling reached 50 the apple taste deminished some but was still there. 

2) StarSan was a fresh batch. 

3) Both batches brewed same day with filtered tap water. LBK's were sanatize very well, including the spigots. 

I doubt it's an infection since both brews are still drinkable and taste like beer. If its anything I'll bet the carbonic acid is in play since the beer started taking better longer it sat in the pint. 

The whole thing's pretty weird, we don't hear that complaint much about the Imperial Red (I think this is the first time, actually). I'm honestly not sure what the deal is, but I would just condition it for a few more weeks and give it another shot, hopefully it mellows out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

The whole thing's pretty weird, we don't hear that complaint much about the Imperial Red (I think this is the first time, actually). I'm honestly not sure what the deal is, but I would just condition it for a few more weeks and give it another shot, hopefully it mellows out.

Yea, that's the plan, will try another one on about a month. And it is weird since I've had more successful Mr. Beer brews, since I've started brewing, than unsuccessful. 

8 hours ago, RickBeer said:

All looks good, but the math doesn't make sense. If you chill wort to 75 and add it to refrigerated water in the LBK, then top off with refrigerated water, temp would be much, much lower.  But if you then checked before you pitched, and it was 68, you were fine - just probably something in your writeup I am not understanding. 

If I remember correctly I filtered cold tap water in a sanatized Brita filter then stored in sanatized gallon jug for about half an hour in the fridge. Unfortunately that part I didn't detail in my notes. Anyway, I figured I didn't need 36-38 degree water since I cooled the wort to 75. I know I didn't detail that in my last post and for that I apologize. 

Edit: I just ran a little experiment. Cold water coming out of my tap is 52 degrees. I'm estimating a gallon of water in the fridge for 30 minutes would fall to 48 at the lowest. So adding a portion of that would bring me close to the 68 I measured before pitching yeast. 

• Like 1

So I sampled a bottle of the Sparkling Ale that's been in the fridge for five and a half days. This one tasted much better. Still a bit of green apple taste but not as pronounced. I'm going to let the the Imperial Red and Sparkling Ale condition out another few weeks and report back. 

Sampled another bottle of the Imperial Red that conditioned another week and it's much better. No green apple taste at all. Nice head on pour, good lacing in the pint, nice balanced flavor with hints of sweet malt. Kind of a dry finish but over all 100% better than the last. 

• Like 5