Mr.Beer Community
nsmelton42

fall recipes

I have just finished the Diablo IPA. Was very suprised compared to my first kit.  Much better.  I am ready to start my next batch and looking for any suggestions.  I mostly drink IPA's but somewhat wanting to try a seasonal fall recipe.  Does anyone have any suggestions of what recipe to use? Thanks in advanced.

I have just finished the Diablo IPA. Was very suprised compared to my first kit. Much better. I am ready to start my next batch and looking for any suggestions. I mostly drink IPA's but somewhat wanting to try a seasonal fall recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions of what recipe to use? Thanks in advanced.

Get the winter dark ale. At $10.98 a can it can't be passed up.

• Like 3

If you  like spiced ale, the Winter Dark Ale makes a nice one. Be drinkable for the end of year holidays.

• Like 2

If you want a nice sipping on, winter warming, fruity  "happy" but not hoppy beer, make the "Golden Two" (my variant on the "Golden One" same recipe process.) This will also be OK at Holiday season if you make it now but will likely get better after.

I was using up out of date HMEs here that I got at clearance at 2 for $10....but even at full price it is nice.  The original was  forecast at > 7% ABV.

My daughter had a glass for refreshment after running, not realizing the strength (I usually make 4 to 5% beers) and she was rather surprised. But it is one of her favorites now.

Golden Two

1x CAL HME,

1x American Lager HME, (Golden One had Canadian Blonde - so this is darker - also darker from older HMEs)

1/2 cup sugar,

8 oz Wheat Malt,

0.5 oz Galaxy Hop, (Golden One had Saaz - Galaxy made it more fruity)

T-58 yeast
1 tsp coriander crushed.

Let it ferment up to 80 deg if it wants to (mine did) - you get fruity esters.

This is sweetish, distinctly warming, dark golden fruity beer with almost dark sherry taste tones to it. A nice dessert beer in my view. Not bitter tasting at all. Mine did not carbonate heavily.

1. Remove the yeast packets (not needed for this recipe) from under the lids of the cans of hopped malt extract (HME), then place the unopened cans in hot tap water. a
  2. Place the pellet hops into the hop sack tying it closed, then trim away excess material.
  3. Using the sanitized measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water and the 1/2 cup sugar into your clean 3-quart or larger pot. Bring water to a boil stirring constantly, add in the hop sackb and crushed coriander, and then remove from heat.
  4. Open the cans of HMEc and the pouch of LME, pour the contents into the hot mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. This mixture of unfermented beer is called wort.
  5. Fill keg with cold tap water to the 4-quart mark on the back. d
  6. Pour the wort into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Stir vigorously with the spoon or whisk. e
  7. Sprinkle only the T-58 Yeast into the keg, then screw on lid. Do not stir.
  8. Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 59°and 75° F, ideally about 67° F and out of direct sunlight. f Ferment for 7-14 days. g

After approximately 24 hours, you will be able to see the fermentation process happening by shining a flashlight into the keg. You'll see the yeast in action in the wort. The liquid will be opaque and milky, you will see bubbles rising in the liquid, and there will be bubbles on the surface.

Your fermentation will usually reach its peak in 2 to 5 days (this is also known as “high krausen”). You may see a layer of foam on top of the wort, and sediment will accumulate at the bottom of the fermenter. This is totally normal. Complete fermentation will take approximately 3 weeks. (Mr B original said 2 weeks, but give it 3 or 4 as it has a lot of malt to chew on.)

After high krausen the foam and activity will subside and your batch will appear to be dormant. Your beer is still fermenting. The yeast is still at work slowly finishing the fermentation process.

Get the winter dark ale. At $10.98 a can it can't be passed up.

Agreed. You can make a "black IPA" out of this easily. I'mma get one & try to make it like Arrogant Bastard, maybe.

• Like 1

Agreed. You can make a "black IPA" out of this easily. I'mma get one & try to make it like Arrogant Bastard, maybe.

Saying black IPA is going to give JoshR a stroke. I'm going to brew up his cascadian dark ale recipe he posted in the tinkering with winter dark ale thread this weekend.

• Like 4

a frnd of mine keeps asking me if I've tried the arrogant bastard, and everytime I see it in the booze store my instinks steer cleer away frm it???? I think my frnd is an arrogant bastard, then the retailor tried to convince me to buy it, he's an arrogant bastard, then I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop, I think he's an arrogant bastard, I spent the night in jail with a few arrogant bastards, I finally get home the next day, and my neighbor complains about my yard not mowed, sayin he's seen a few snakes, well it's barely waist high, I think he's an arrogant bastard. so if I see that arrogant bastard in the booze store, i'm steering clear away from that arrogant bastard!!! this really didn't happen, I was only being arrogant

What is next month?  Oh yeah!  October.  And aren't there some kind of festivals in the month of October?  Something like Festivals October.  Or no!  October Festival?  Oh wait!  I know now!  October Fest!  Yeah!  That's it!  Octoberfest!

• Like 1

a frnd of mine keeps asking me if I've tried the arrogant bastard, and everytime I see it in the booze store my instinks steer cleer away frm it???? I think my frnd is an arrogant bastard, then the retailor tried to convince me to buy it, he's an arrogant bastard, then I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop, I think he's an arrogant bastard, I spent the night in jail with a few arrogant bastards, I finally get home the next day, and my neighbor complains about my yard not mowed, sayin he's seen a few snakes, well it's barely waist high, I think he's an arrogant bastard. so if I see that arrogant bastard in the booze store, i'm steering clear away from that arrogant bastard!!! this really didn't happen, I was only being arrogant

Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale is delicious.

• Like 1

Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale is delicious.

Agreed!

I actually like it with a few month's age on it as much as as when it's fresh. I will find these marked down as they get past their "best by" date and buy a few if I can. I let one age 10 months once, the hop-bite was really diminished, and the flavours started mingling in a good way. I need to get a couple & cellar them for a year or two...

:)

• Like 1

Oktoberfest, maybe, but the time to consider that was 3 months ago - lol.  Now is time to brew for Christmas, New years, and winter.

• Like 2

Or, a quick-turnaround beer like an APA, IPA, or even a blonde or cream ale.

I don't see beer as being seasonal (except those dratted pumpkin beers, which are getting closer & closer to being year-round every year, what with their releases being earlier every year) so brew a stout in spring and a bock in autumn, I say!

I am taking a break after my Irish red is ready, but my beer after that will be an APA.

• Like 1

yeah my buddy says arrogant bastard is one of his favorite, so I may give it a try. and since he came over last weekend to watch college ball, he drank all my beer, so this weekend he's gonna bring sum of the arrogant bastard.

will be 2nd fermenting the octoberfest, bottle it during novemberfest, and drinking it in janufest

I celebrate other people celebrating whatever holiday is around.

:)

Any excuse to drink beer!!