Mr.Beer Community
forgetaboudit

whoops. think i destroyed a batch of cream ale....

So bought a kit of cream ale with specialty grains. I got the grains steeped and as I started to mix in the DME, the kettle erupted like Mount Vesuvius all over my stove and floor....

I swore ALOT, kicked the stove and began to clean up. I then removed the kettle from the heat and added the remaining DME and hops...

I finished the boil, cooled my wort, then transfered it to the LBK.

I started the wort with 2.5 gallons, and after the eruption and boil I only have 1.5 of the wort....

So I take a gravity reading and its at 1.065, when it is supposed to be near 1.040...

I then add almost 3/4 packet of yeast and set it on my fermenting room.

Am I in trouble? Is my cream ale going to turn out ok? Should I have added water to bring it back to 2 gallons before adding the yeast? Im so pissed off at myself and fully expected the beer gods to smite me last night.

Your beer will simply be stronger than normal from the water loss. You can, however, add the remaining water back to the batch. Just don't use tap water. Use bottled purified water so you don't have to worry about contamination or having to boil it first. .

Your beer will simply be stronger than normal from the water loss. You can, however, add the remaining water back to the batch. Just don't use tap water. Use bottled purified water so you don't have to worry about contamination or having to boil it first. .

Would I be better off just leaving it?  If I do add water, will that disturb the yeast or mess up the flavor?

It simply boiled over. This is fairly common, especially with DME. It's always best to remove the water/wort from the heat before adding malt extracts. This will prevent scorching and boil overs. Some people use a product called "Fermcap" to prevent boil overs, but you can just as easily prevent it by controlling your temps (always do a low rolling boil, nothing too vigorous) and adding the extracts off the heat.

Since you just made it last night, it won't hurt to top it off to the proper level and give it a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon.

It simply boiled over. This is fairly common, especially with DME. It's always best to remove the water/wort from the heat before adding malt extracts. This will prevent scorching and boil overs. Some people use a product called "Fermcap" to prevent boil overs, but you can just as easily prevent it by controlling your temps (always do a low rolling boil, nothing too vigorous) and adding the extracts off the heat.

Since you just made it last night, it won't hurt to top it off to the proper level and give it a gentle stir with a sanitized spoon.

Should I add the remaining yeast or let that be?  It called for a full packet originally.

Thanks for all the help!  Hope she turns out ok.  I might have to get a stove for the basement to brew with as my girlfriend wasn't too happy I got wort all over the kitchen.... Annnddd she might be a little mad I kicked the stove.... :blink:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help!  Hope she turns out ok.  I might have to get a stove for the basement to brew with as my girlfriend wasn't too happy I got wort all over the kitchen.... Annnddd she might be a little mad I kicked the stove.... :blink:

Better than the Bucket!!! Josh gave you some stellar advice, even some I can use down the road.

any time I work with dme I do what josh pointed out.  if you aren't comfortable moving a pot of hot scalding wort to make the addition of dme, you can bring the wort up to about 170 or 180f and turn off the heat.  stir in your dme and mix well.  have a clean spray bottle set to mist with mineral water in it... keep it handy. then turn the heat back on and bring it back up to boiling temp.  don't set it at thermal meltdown.. just high enough to get a moderate boil going. 

another thing.. always use a pot that is large enough to give you headspace for boiling.  if I am doing a 2 gallon boil I use a pot that can accommodate 3.5 gallons for example. 

dme foams. it's what it does. until it gets about 5 mins or so into a good boil you get foam and break material.  when you see it starting to rise, spritz it with water mist to cool the surface which should drop the foam down... and when you add hops expect more foaming.

NEVER take your attention off dme after you add it. dme is a hateful little thing. it waits for you to look away for just a sec and then it boils over .

It may sound silly, but if you blow on the foam, it will subside... It's a trick I use when cooking pasta or potatoes.  It also works with DME.  But, the only difference is, I add the DME as the water is starting to heat.  No clumps, no boil overs, no runs, no errors...