Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

Hops Suggestion for Winter Dark?

I brewed up a can of Winter Dark the other day with a LME packet of robust.  Any Aroma hops that pair well with the Robust flavors?

Also Its basically the defibulator dopplebock without the booster.  How long should I condition for?  How does one typically determine such things?  Higher ABV = longer conditioning?

the defibrillator says 2-4 months.. you have less fermentables without booster... so maybe 1.5 to 3.5 months?  just a guess really... 

I did the defibrillator with two robust and a lager yeast... bottling soon!  

My guess is something around 2-3 months. Iv'e had plain WDA after 9 months and it was great. As for aroma hops, for my taste, I would look for something spicy but not citrus. 

How did it taste the last time you made it?

I still have some conditioning that I've been slowly drinking. Been conditioning for approx 7 weeks now

I'd say it has good flavor just not as hoppy as I expected. That's about all I can say. Looking for a little more IPA type hop taste. That's the goal

If you want flavour & aroma, you will need to add hops, either in a hop-stand or just a good amount in a dry-hop session.

I used an ounce of FF7Cs (hop-stand) in mine, and when I tasted it at a week old, it was really nice.

As my signature used to say, if you are planning on doing the hop-stand, I recommend boiling a gallon of water - 2 if you have the time to cool it all. More water means more hops utilization. Just cool it to 180 or less first, and you won't get much (if any) IBUs out of the hops, just the flavour & aroma.

As my signature used to say, if you are planning on doing the hop-stand, I recommend boiling a gallon of water - 2 if you have the time to cool it all. More water means more hops utilization. Just cool it to 180 or less first, and you won't get much (if any) IBUs out of the hops, just the flavour & aroma.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would I be boiling water when dry hopping? I was planning on just chucking some pellets in around 3 days before bottling

Hop-stand, not dry-hopping. I only mentioned dry-hopping at the beginning as another way to get aroma & some flavour into your brew. What you quoted said nothing about dry-hopping, only performing a hop-stand. So, instead of boiling 1 quart of water, and then dumping in the HME, you boil a gallon of water, dump in your HME (which will cool the water down close to 180) and when the wort cools enough, then you put your hop-stand hops in and let it sit without cooling for 20 minutes to an hour.

This is all done pre-fermentation, see? Dry-hopping is done after fermentation.

:)