Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
fejjums66

Beefed up Brew de ale ze bub

I have the ingredients for this recipe but was hoping to make a ever more bitter and hoppy IPA. I also have a Pale DME. Can I use that to boil the hops then dry hopping after as well? If so how much water do I use? Any input is welcome! This is only my 5th batch.

Well, the recipe calls for the HME can, 1 pale LME and 1/2 oz hops at end of boil. So you are getting more malt and ABV from the Pale malt, and aroma extra only from the hops.

If you want to boil the hops. yes malty water is good and you can use the DME or the LME, makes no diff.

If you are going to put both LME and DME in, you will get about 1% more ABV. But it will also make it taste less hoppy, malt does that.

If it was me I and I wanted a bit  more IBUs, I would put the DME in the cold water, mix it in, and heat it to boiling while stirring (less clumping), then put in the 0.5 oz hops in a bag and boil it for about 10-15  min. That will add a few IBU and get some flavor out. I would keep an eye on the water level and top it up to keep the same level if it boils down any. You could make it 5 cups and I think that would be OK for 10 min boil, but still watch the level.

(Boiling for much longer you will really have to watch the water evaporation, and using too much water will make the wort too hot in the LBK.)

Then take off heat and add the LME and HME and proceed as per recipe.  I would also get another 0.5 oz of hops and add it to the wort about a 7-10 days before bottling for dry hop effect.

I might even try this :-)

Thanks! Sounds good, I'll give it a try. Should I add an extra oz of hops or just use the 1.5 that I already have?

Doing a 5g recipe this weekend that uses 6 oz of hops 5oz during various boil times and 1 oz for the dryhop.  Supposed to end around 75 IBUs.