Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zoot Horn Rollo

Every thing is turning to stout!?!

What the heck? I've got to upload some pictures but all, and I do mean, ALL of my batches have been darker than illustrated. My Camilla's Folly looks just like a stout? My Voodoo is so dark that I can't see a flashlight shined through the glass. I first noticed this last winter when I brewed a batch of Bewitched Amber Ale. What gives? I promise you all that I'm following the directions for brewing and conditioning. I will post some pics shortly, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? All dates on HME's all where within the best used by date.

Best, Zoot

As long as my beer tastes good I don't care how dark it is or what it looks like.  I've bought beautiful amber colored beer before only to have it taste like dishwater.  

• Like 1

This is a side effect of brewing with extracts.  You'll find that most of your beers will turn out darker than usual for the style.  Doesn't affect the flavor.

• Like 1

Yep, and it doesn't matter if it's pre-hopped LME or regular DME. I made a blonde with extract & a mini-mash, it came out closer to a dirty-blonde in colour. I used extra-light DME. It tasted fantastic, so I didn't sweat it.

:)

Color is not a concern unless you are entering your beer in a competition, and you are trying for a specific style. Drink up, and enjoy! I have found all my beers are a bit darker than the style calls for, but the taste is there.

• Like 1

Yeah - very difficult to make beer that looks like Coors lite - no matter how it tastes.

I suppose one could use just booster and boil hops in it but it probably would still turn out darker -  even if green.

It's an American thing.  Couch potato culture, all of American is getting fat.  Lazy, binge watching TV, fat people.

What?  Not stout people, stout beer?

Stout people and green beer, what next? I'll drink to that (in fact I just finished a bottle of the American Ale - really good)

Emily litella.. lol...    whats all this fuss about eggs and how ppl are dying from eggs? I eat eggs every day and I'm as fit as a fiddle! I like them hard boiled, scrambled , fried... and even eat them with bacon! they say there's an eggs epidemic! and why do they need to spend all that money on eggs research?? it has a yolk, a shell, a white.. and it's delicious! I just don't...

(interrupting.. uh.. Emily, that's AIDS.. not eggs...)

oh... never mind.

she was fun... couldn't stand Lorraine newman though.

Yep - very funny for those of us old enough to remember (or too old to remember anything!).

she was fun... couldn't stand Lorraine newman though.

Who is that?

But speaking of the 70's SNL cast, I always thought Laraine Newman was kinda hot...

:P