Mr.Beer Community
JoshR

Introducing: HACKED Root Beer!! - Now Available!!

PreOrder-RBHacked-700x300.jpg?t=14452828

I'm really excited about this. I've been working on it for awhile, and am quite proud of how it came out. While this is now available for order, the full kits won't be shipped out until Thursday the 22nd (the refills will be shipped out right away).

If you already have your own barrels (this requires 2), keep in mind that whichever one you use for mixing, will most likely need to be reserved for that purpose only as the root beer extract will leave a permanent aroma of root beer behind. This is why we are including the clear Mr. Beer mixing keg with the kit. This Root Beer is intended to be as "hackable" as you want it. Try using some vanilla extract or some honey instead of sugar. I've tried it a few different ways over the past summer and it comes out great each time.

We recently served a keg of this at the Tucson Beer Fest this past weekend along with some of our beers. The HRB was the first keg to go empty. It was a HUGE hit with the festival goers and I'm sure it will be a huge hit with you, too. 

NOTE: This kit uses the special gasketed caps we use for our regular root beer kit to prevent explosions once the carbonation has concluded. With all of the sugar, you will need to refrigerate it as soon as it's carbonated.

Get yours here: http://www.mrbeer.com/hacked-root-beer-kit

Get the refill here: http://www.mrbeer.com/hacked-root-beer-refill

• Like 3

People were definitely coming back for seconds and thirds of this one at the Great Tucson Beer Fest. I recommend it very highly.

• Like 1

Cool. I have all the incredients to make this. I have the root beer extract from an earlier kit purchase. I'll definitely have to try this!

• Like 2

What is the deal with the pressure release caps on the bottles?

I read "venting caps" and "caps and gaskets"and also  "newly designed LBK" .

What is different in the caps and LBK  there from what we have been getting for regular beer?

Do we need those caps on regular beer?

Would they prevent PET "bottle bombs" or gushers?

If the caps are calibrated for pressure release, maybe you could get different versions for the different beer styles degrees of carbonation required, saving the variation some people get with priming. (Then one just over primes and lets the release system take care of it).

The difference between making root beer and making beer is that with root beer you want a bunch of the sugar to NOT ferment - to give the root beer its sweetness.  Therefore, you need to stop fermentation before all the sugar is gone - which is done by putting the root beer in the frig as soon as it's ready.

I'm sure Josh will add his input, he's figured out a way to make the root beer have a decent ABV AND retain its sweetness - likely with even more sugar than making regular root beer.

The vented caps, i.e. by using the gaskets, stops the bottles from blowing up due to the excessive amount of sugar still in the root beer when you bottle it (whereas in regular beer you let the sugars ferment out and then add a tiny amount for carbonation.

As far as the kegs being different - as Josh mentions root beer impregnates plastic (stop your dirty minds right there) and you cannot use the keg for making beer after.  If you have extra LBKs that you have no plans on using again, you can use them instead of buying new ones.  

These caps can't be used for beer - they would allow too much carbonation to escape.  And they aren't metered - these aren't an engineered X PSI solution - but a gasket to allow the pressure to blowoff (I believe).

• Like 3

Rick is correct on all points. Also, you can use the regular caps, but you will have to refrigerate them AS SOON as they are carbonated. Be sure to check firmness of the bottles daily. DO NOT USE GLASS!!!

• Like 2

Which sugar should I use, white or the brown? Does this has much of a beer taste? My wife likes root beer but not good old beer!

Use white.  Brown will leave a molasses flavor.

Root Beer will not taste like beer.

The added sugar is for sweetness, not alcohol, and won't be fermented out when following our instructions. Therefore, you can use either brown or white. I like to use a couple cups of white and a cup of brown for some extra flavor.

u know this is a " whacked" idea, but earlier when i was having a WDA. was wondering how the rootbeer thing would go with a WDA? since i'll have another rootbeer recipe, i'm curious to try it

what i'm asking is during your research, have you guys tried the rootbeer extract kit in any other HME's?

Josh R is out of the office today, but I was around for a lot of the development. I don't believe we've tried it with another beer yet.

What about vanilla? Any preference on using a little or not?

Go for it! It tastes pretty awesome. ;)

what i'm asking is during your research, have you guys tried the rootbeer extract kit in any other HME's?

Yes, but I haven't tried using the WDA.

actually have 5 rootbeer extracts refills lol! they were really cheap, so now that u guys invented alcohol induced rootbeer i'm in! rootbeer is my ultimate favorite cola so i'm looking forward to this experience! either good or bad

actually have 5 rootbeer extracts refills lol! they were really cheap, so now that u guys invented alcohol induced rootbeer i'm in! rootbeer is my ultimate favorite cola so i'm looking forward to this experience! either good or bad

We didn't invent it. It was already on the market. This is simply the first homebrew kit for it.

• Like 1

well i tried sum WDA half mixed with sum A&W rootbeer, and meh...., heh....., eh.., so i think i'll just stick with you guyzas recipe

• Like 2

i', on a rootbeer kick

anyone tried/heard of this rootbeer beer? suppose to be 5.9%, not bad stuff just taste a lot of liquorise in it, so will be looking forward to the hacked rootbeer. I remember I used to do rootbeer shots, which contained liquor gallintro, vodka, and coke (cocoa Cola) not cocaine, but i'm not passing up on that recipe

I tried a bottle of that NYFRB, it tastes like root beer with too much sugar. Like, add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar to a bottle of A&W.

Blech. Too sweet.

well that was all the liquor store had on the rootbeer thing, so thot to try it out for comparason to the hacked i'll be  starting here in a cple of weeks, gonna. i'm looking forward to this one.

Tried my HRB a few days ago. My batch seemed to be 20% beer and 80% root beer. 100% amazing. Didn't know I had it in me.

• Like 3

It's supposed to be 21% beer and 79% root beer, so something clearly went wrong... :lol:

Good stuff!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, McDammit said:

Tried my HRB a few days ago. My batch seemed to be 20% beer and 80% root beer. 100% amazing. Didn't know I had it in me.

cool name McDammit! lol!

• Like 1

Hello friends

Bottled my hacked root beer Tuesday night at 7pm. Used just under 2 cups white sugar and just under 1 cup brown sugar. Did not have vented caps to use (long story)  so I have been watching these bottles closely. 72 degrees.  It's now been 36 hours and these bottles are pretty firm. Not rock hard, but not giving much.  So I tossed 1/2 batch (4 bottles) in the fridge and thinking maybe leave the other 4 bottles?  Or just get them all in the fridge? Seems early. . .

Rick

If not using the hacked root beer kit how much root beer extract would you add to a batch?  Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Will

7 minutes ago, WillR said:

If not using the hacked root beer kit how much root beer extract would you add to a batch?  Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Will

Depends on the brand. No 2 extracts are the same.

It says on the label "Old Fashion Homebrew Root Beer Soda Pop Base".  It is a 2 oz bottle and it says it will make 4 gallons of soda.

My guess is an ounce.

• Like 1