Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
GuyWithBrew

Imperial Red Ale Recipe?

Hey, guys, I'm looking for a recipe for the Autumn seasonal Imperial Red Ale (it doesn't exist on the Mr. Beer site).  Is it the same as a standard Mr. Beer recipe, only substituting the Safale s-04 packet for the regular packet of yeast? 

And would this brew benefit by the inclusion of an extra hops packet?  Or is that simply a matter of personal choice?  I'm kinda new to this brewing stuff and very curious!

The Imperial Red is brewed just like our other beers, but it uses a different yeast. We don't usually do recipes for the Seasonals because they are brewed to style and taste great with no enhancements or additions. But that's not to say you can't "dress it up" if you wanted to. Adding more hops wouldn't hurt, but it is just personal preference.

is that an irish red ale?

No. It's an Imperial Red Ale.

• Like 1

Brewer's Association Style Guide

Imperial Red Ale Imperial Red Ales are deep amber to dark copper/reddish brown. A small amount of chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures. Fruity-ester aroma is medium. Hop aroma is intense, arising from any variety of hops. Medium to high caramel malt character is present. Hop flavor is intense, and balanced with other beer characters. They may use any variety of hops. Hop bitterness is intense. Alcohol content is very high and of notable character. Complex alcohol flavors may be evident. Fruity-ester flavors are medium. Diacetyl should not be perceived. Body is full. Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.080 - 1.100 (19.3 - 23.7) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.020 - 1.028 (5.1 - 7.1) ● Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 6.30% - 8.40% (8.00% - 10.60%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 55 - 85 ● Color SRM (EBC) 10 - 17 (20 - 34)

Irish-Style Red Ale Irish-Style Red Ales are copper red to reddish brown. Chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures. Slight yeast haze is acceptable for bottle-conditioned products. Low fruity-ester aroma is acceptable. Hop aroma is not perceived to low. Low to medium candy-like caramel malt sweetness is present. Should have some degree of toast malt character, and may have subtle degree of roast barley or roast malt character and complexity. Hop flavor is medium. Hop bitterness is medium. Low levels of fruity-ester flavor are acceptable. Diacetyl should be absent or at very low levels. Body is medium. Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.040 - 1.048 (10 - 11.9) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.010 - 1.014 (2.6 - 3.6) ● Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.20% - 3.60% (4.10% - 4.60%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 20 - 28 ● Color SRM (EBC) 11 - 18 (22 - 36)

Higher ABV, intense hops, ...

• Like 5

RickBeer: Doing our job so we don't have to since 2012

• Like 2

Tim:

Your next paycheck should show the quarterly "RickBeer Support Surcharge" of 10% of your gross.  Thanks again!   ;)

My extensive (cough) knowledge (cough) that allowed me to answer that question was G-O-G-G-L-E.  I know about 3 of the styles, I don't really pay attention to them.  I brew the RBBTIL (RickBeer Beer That I Like).  

• Like 3

Thanks for the helpful info, much appreciated!  I'll hold off on adding extra hops, at least for this batch, as my understanding is Imperial Red Ale is quite hoppy to begin with.  so we'll see how it goes, and thanks again!

• Like 1

thanx  oh mighty one of knowledge of thy beer descriptions! RickBeer!  so whats the difference between the American swallow and the African swallow if the two cud carry a coconut?

I looked up "HoppySmile" via Google and it came back with these responses:

- Page Not Found - the page you are looking for, HoppySmile, seems to be missing.

- Empty Head Page - there is no content here.

- Webster's Dictionary - HoppySmile - Noun - Emptiness, Nonsensical.  Verb - Vacuum

• Like 1