Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

Extract beer taste???

Can anyone describe what I've heard people say is the "distinct extract beer taste"?

I just popped open a howling red ale and it has a slight sweet taste to it. Fermented at a steady 64 degrees, no major temp swings, fermented for three weeks and conditioned for four. I did everything right and I still feel like it's not how it's supposed to taste. Maybe it's just the extract in tasting.

Even though I've made only extract or DME w/steeping grains (one mini-mash), I have had a few beers with that "extract twang", and yet most of them have not had it. My latest Irish Red has it, although I didn't taste it at bottling, so maybe it will condition out.

I'd call it a slight sweetness with a bit of a sour taste on the back of the tongue. Not undrinkable, but not exactly pleasant.

Yup, thats about exactly how I would describe it.  How do you get rid of that?  I have an IPA fermenting right now that was made with 9LBs (yes nine freaking lbs) of extract & 1.5 lbs of grain.  5 gallon batch obviously.  That SOB better not taste like that or I will be one pissed off creep.

Some people can taste it in every beer made with extract. I haven't tasted it but in two of mine. I dunno.

Some say it is due to using old extract. Others swear Briess is worse than other brands. I dunno.

I will say, I haven't had a Mr. Beer brew taste like this.

I am aging my Irish red until Thanksgiving, so I will let you know then if it mellows out any during the next 5 weeks.

until recently all my beer was extract.  ive been brewing about 3 years.. and in only one batch that was largely dme could I taste what has been described as 'extract twang'.  I blame old dry malt extract that had been not been sealed tightly be me.

I can't say that I could identify extract twang. I brew all my batches with 6 to 7.5 lbs of light LME made by United Canadian, purchased in bulk. Make sure you use fresh LME.

I have noticed certain types of beers made from extract age into a similar taste profile.  I suppose that might be a extract taste.  

The batches that don't have it yet are ones

that I drank quickly

that are on the are on the stout side of things

that are cut with wheat or rye

are hop forward and young

I have sort of come to the conclusion that the the Mr. Beer HME's in general are a little light on the H, (my opinion) and when you add the softpacks it goes even more in that direction. I have found that the basic refils with a small amount of hops get rid of that flavor. (See previous post on "Everything tastes the same)  It may be that 1-1/2 oz of Cascade is just not enough when you add the softpack.

I am doing an experiment to see which hops I like best and not planning on making any more unhopped recipes.

The DME seems to be less prone to this taste, not sure why. Of all the LME, the smooth is the only one I like at this point. I haven't been able to make a beer with the other two that doesn't have this taste. I call it "molasses", I guess Mr. Beer calls it "Malt"  (page 15-16 of Brewing with Mr. Beer), I tasted the HME right out of the can and it's basically that same taste.

I have sort of come to the conclusion that the the Mr. Beer HME's in general are a little light on the H, (my opinion) and when you add the softpacks it goes even more in that direction. I have found that the basic refils with a small amount of hops get rid of that flavor. (See previous post on "Everything tastes the same)  It may be that 1-1/2 oz of Cascade is just not enough when you add the softpack.

I am doing an experiment to see which hops I like best and not planning on making any more unhopped recipes.

The DME seems to be less prone to this taste, not sure why. Of all the LME, the smooth is the only one I like at this point. I haven't been able to make a beer with the other two that doesn't have this taste. I call it "molasses", I guess Mr. Beer calls it "Malt"  (page 15-16 of Brewing with Mr. Beer), I tasted the HME right out of the can and it's basically that same taste.

I am by no means an expert on home brewing, but one thing I have found with the beers that I have made, no matter what the ABV is, the longer I let them condition, the better they taste. If I perceive what the "extract" taste is, I notice it at the four week mark. But it goes away with each passing week. The higher the ABV, the longer I wait.

BTW, did you use 1.5 oz of hops or .5 oz ????

I don't know. I let a Beauty and the Yeast batch condition for three months and it didn't get rid of that flavor. I am trying another batch now to see if it was a novice issue or if that's just the way it is.

Got a chance to share 2 of my extract brews tonight with some professional brewers (meaning they have an actual brewery)  I asked them about this extract taste and they said it really depends on the beer but on the light side of things it's most noticeable as a sort of sweetness or left over unfermtables.

• Like 1