Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ohio

Saint Patrick is fermenting like crazy!

Used a can of St. Patrick's, along with a pound of a dark LME and a bag of booster. The Little Brown Keg is bubbling like crazy with a big layer of krausen. I used two packets of Mr. Beer yeast. I'm thinking at least 3 weeks in the LBK, possibly up to 5.

What do you think?

I'm thinking you would have been fine with one pack of yeast, but no harm done.

Also, you can leave your beer in the LBK for 3-4 weeks, easy, but this beer will likely be completely done in 3. I made the Novacaine recipe from the MrB site and it took a whole 11g packet of US-05 almost three weeks to chew through all the sugars, so I let it stay in in for 4 total, for "cleanup" duties by the yeast. So, more than 3 is fine, no matter what some people say. Any more than 4 or 5 weeks, though, and I'd say rack it to a secondary vessel.

:P

• Like 1

All I can say is, had I bottled that Novacaine after 3 weeks, I might have had bottle bombs. Saying "No more than 3 weeks, ever." is not exactly true - it might be 99% of the time, but not always.

:)

No idea. It was my second batch, I didn't take notes, & probably didn't even have a hydrometer. MrB puts it at app. 1.020

You made a $70 batch on your second time making beer? Wow, we should do some colabs, I can't imagine the things I could do with that budget of yours

Well, I did, but I didn't - I picked up a whole MrB kit with two of the extracts in it off of Craigslist for $20, bought the stout HME from BassPro Shops for ~$20, so I wasn't into it but for $40 or so, including the LBK. Since then, my budget has gone down anyway (looking for a job currently) so I am glad I got to pull that off while I could.

Well, I did, but I didn't - I picked up a whole MrB kit with two of the extracts in it off of Craigslist for $20, bought the stout HME from BassPro Shops for ~$20, so I wasn't into it but for $40 or so, including the LBK. Since then, my budget has gone down anyway (looking for a job currently) so I am glad I got to pull that off while I could.

Rickbeer and I are thinking of starting a brewpub (because were best friends and what not) and we need someone to hand out towels and cologne in the mens room.  Im thinking slym2none has a perfect personality for this position!

• Like 1

Yeah, no need for 2 packs of yeast. Even if you put 4 cans of HME in, you would still only need 1 pack. Their fermentation is based on volume, not gravity.

• Like 1

Yeah, no need for 2 packs of yeast. Even if you put 4 cans of HME in, you would still only need 1 pack. Their fermentation is based on volume, not gravity.

In that case, I have to wonder why the recipe for MrBeer's Staggerback Stout (which, for the uninitiated, uses two cans of HME) calls for two packets of yeast.   Just curious.

In that case, I have to wonder why the recipe for MrBeer's Staggerback Stout (which, for the uninitiated, uses two cans of HME) calls for two packets of yeast.   Just curious.

Probably because the person that wrote the recipe didn't realize only 1 yeast was needed. I'll get it updated.

• Like 1

I did the two packs mainly because I had them. I had used some US-05 on another batch, and had extra yeast.