Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
syncman

Slime?

1 Bottle of Deep Red had a lump of something in it, which I swallowed. Slimy snot? GROSS. What was it, and How do I stop it from happening again. Taste of beer seemed fine. Drink from a glass now!

I hope it wasn't a ball of yeast... you might get on intimate terms with your toilet if it was.

:o

Don't drink out of the bottle. Supposed to pour gently in a glass and leave last 1/4 inch behind.

1/4" is for wimps. Pour carefully and you can get down to 1/8" - or use Nottingham yeast and don't worry about it. I empty those bottles & the beer stays crystal clear in the glass.

;)

I hold it up to the light / window while I pour and wait until I see a tiny cloud like fizz mass on about to come out, and then I stop.  #perfectpour

• Like 1

I will have to make a video of a pour off of one of my Notty-fermented batches. I swear, I like this yeast for that trait alone...

:)

Using PET bottles I do not have a glass big enough for single pour (do I REALLY have to get an Oktoberfest BIG 1L glass?)  so it takes a couple. The first is clear, the second depends on care and the yeast and time in bottle, sometimes clear, but more often I pour until I see it coming cloudy. Sometimes I will just empty the bottle. I do not mind cloudy beer, I suffer no ill effects.

Using PET bottles I do not have a glass big enough for single pour (do I REALLY have to get an Oktoberfest BIG 1L glass?)  so it takes a couple. The first is clear, the second depends on care and the yeast and time in bottle, sometimes clear, but more often I pour until I see it coming cloudy. Sometimes I will just empty the bottle. I do not mind cloudy beer, I suffer no ill effects.

I heard one person, who pours from bombers, say he just pours both beers at once (two glasses). The second is a little warmer, but that might be a good thing, depending on style.

I will admit, I am not averse to cloudy beers, but when I go through such lengths to make a clear beer, I want to be able to show it off that way, should I desire.

My favourite craft beer, DirtWolf, used to be a lot less filtered. It was downright chunky when I first started drinking it, hops & everything floating around in it. Now, you have to swirl the bottle to get the dregs off the bottom, and it only gets mildly hazy from them.

I have seen it in one of my brews but quickly stopped the pour.

I was thinking an unused piece of sugar ball but yeast trub clump might be more acurate. The beer was fine otherwise.

I think this grew in the bottle. I use a wand for bottling and it was way too big to pass thru the little opening on the wand.

Most likely you drank a clump of yeast that had settled on the bottom during carbonation/conditioning. Most likely, you'll live. However some people suffer some "windy" side effects.

You may have consumed a clump of trub.  Don't worry.  Statistics show that beer yeast kills just barely half of the people who consume it.  So you got a better than 50% chance of surviving.  I like those odds.

• Like 3

some yeast are actually meant to be swirled up into the beer and poured into the glass.  hefeweizen and witbier yeast make a tasty addition to the glass. . . .though it takes some getting used to in your gut since they give you some bloating and gas until you get used to them.