Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

So... Ive been wondering...

What do yall fill your air lock with?  Ive always used water but i saw someone in another forum using Star San

How long can I store my mixed StarSan?  I store it right in my fermentation fridge.  Guesstimate without using PH strips?

Anyone ever try to bottle your overflow and drink it??? Dont lie...

I read up on using quick oats with my new free stout refill but Im wondering if I need another grain to accompany it or can I just steep my oats and use the HME as my accompanying grains?

Yall see that beer that has a hop cone in the bottle?  IPA by Ale Asylum maybe?  I think thats a waste of hops

I don't use an airlock, but StarSan or vodka is what I have heard most people use. Brave ones use bleach-water. Even braver to use just plain water, as it can harbour nasties that might get into your beer. I'd go with StarSan myself.

I think StarSan is good for a long while, I hear of people using it in spray bottles that they only fill up every few weeks/months. One person on HBT says they mix up a 5-gallon pail of it and just refills/uses from that. I guess covered, it won't go bad.

I have never had appreciable overflow, i.e., enough to drink. I don't think I would, though...  :o

Just oats should be fine. Joyce Carol Oates is better, though. Best yet - Hall & Oats.

I have not seen that beer, but just hearing your description, I agree. Then again, some might say using 2 ounces of hops in a hop-stand on a WDA can is a waste, but I did it. (BTW - it smells amazing every time I open my cooler to change out ice-bottles.)

Don't use airlock only Mr B fermenters and do not need one for that.

Have successfully used instant oats for brew. You can steep it in a bag  in  the 4 cups water with or without extract in it.

I have boiled the oats and not boiled the oats because it was with grains that I did not want to boil. Both made OK beer.   

I made double deluxe Oatmeal porter using porter HME, 2 robust LME and 2 cups of oatmeal boiled in a bag for 5 min. 

The boiled oats in bag went pretty solid but enough oaty sludge came out that it made the beer OK. That was actually a very nice recipe.

I used only a cup next time but it was still OK. Use a BIG hop bag so they can float around in it and you get more sludge out.

Probably you should just steep a cup of the oats at about 160-170 deg for 30 min or so  & stir/jiggle the bag constantly, I have done both.  Take out the bag and let it drain into the pot, then bring it to the boil, and add HME and any other extract.

Bear in mind the oats will absorb a bunch of fluid so you will need more than 4 cups - I put in 6 and had about 4 left.

Also if you put extract in, before boiling/steeping oats, they will soak up some of that with the water and you will never get it back since you do not put the grain bag in the fermenter. That is why I added the extract after.

Probably the experts will disagree with this but the beer was fine.

DO NOT boil the Hopped Extract, it will change it. Add HME AFTER  using the oats or other grain.

• Like 2

It depends on the type of oats you use. For example flaked oats must be done in a mash with a base malt. There is a golden naked oat grain  available that is part of the "cara" family that can be steeped. I am planning on using those with some other grains in a steep for a batch of oatmeal stout.

I have used Star-San in the past but have found it makes a foamy mess of the bubbler for the time of strong fermentation.  Now I use cheap whiskey or vodka.