Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
spatu

Sugar on top IPA fermenting temp question

Hi everybody!

I've just started to brew the Sugar on top IPA and I wanted to ask you, considering your experience, what is the best temperature to brew it.

As usual, the Mr.Beer instructions said that the optimal temp is 68F but I was wondering since this is an IPA, if a different temp is optimal for this specific recipe. The yeast is the US-05.

Thank you very much for your help/inputs!

Thanks squeegeethree,

What temperature  do you suggest during high Krausen? It just started today!

Thanks for the help!

You should try and be at the low end of the recommendation considering that actively reproducing yeasties add 3 to 4F to the temp.

The temp of the wort, not the air, is what is important, whether active or not. 6 - 8 degree gain is possible when things get active.

Try to maintain the same temp during all stages of fermentation.

Also, I have heard the US-05 gives off a peach-y ester when fermented at the lowest end of its temp-range, so unless that's a complimentary flavour, you might want to keep the wort around 63 at the lowest.

• Like 1

Thank you all,

I'll try my best to stay around 63/65.

I'll keep you posted!

Ciao!

Also, I have heard the US-05 gives off a peach-y ester when fermented at the lowest end of its temp-range, so unless that's a complimentary flavour, you might want to keep the wort around 63 at the lowest.

I guess I'll find out as I've got a batch with US05 and was down around 60-63 for most of the last 2 weeks.

Nice! Please do keep us updated, because this is something I have only heard, and then I read the Brulosopher's exBEERiments, and one was about different temp for yeasts in their recommended temp ranges and there seemed to be little-to-no difference. That's something that goes in the face of a lot of what is still being touted as fact these days - for example, I was always told to ferment Nottingham at the lowest end of the temp-range if I wanted a "clean" ferment or if I want all the English esters to come out, then go to the top end of the range. Same with S-04.

Maybe... hmm... I have one more can of WDA after this batch currently in the LBK (just dry-hopped it after 10 days, it's at FG), and then I am brewing an AG blonde. Maybe I'll make two batches in a row, and the only difference will be using Notty at near-lager temps, and then the second batch keep it right at 69-70°.

:D

This temp thing is confusing because Mr.Beer instructions always said to keep it at 68F, no matter what beer are you brewing (with some exceptions).

I think that they want to give priority to the completion of the fermentation over the different taste that you can get if you brew across the whole temp range.

That's why I am always asking to you guys!