Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vakko

Case of Belgian

So I completely forgot that I ordered like 10 seasonal HMEs of Beligian spiced ale earlier this summer.  So now I'm scrambling to use them up now that they're expired!

I've previously made Chimay blue and I just brewed a Chimay red.  But I was thinking of something fancier but I don't know what to call it or how it should taste.

Something like:

1 HME Belgian seasonal

1/2 bag of booster

1/2oz Cascade 20 minutes

1/2oz Cascade 7 minutes

1/2oz Cascade for 20 minute flameout

1/2oz Cascade dry hop

Really big issue here:  what yeast to use?

I was thinking US-05 or maybe even S-23 or 34/70!

IMO 05 is boring. If you want to stick with Fermentis why not use the Safbrew BE-256.  Or any of the fun Saison strains for other vendors.

I think S-23 and 34/70 are lager yeasts, for what it's worth.

I'm currently conditioning a saison using Danstar Belle Saison (rehydrated) and am about 12 days into fermenting a Belgian IPA using T-58. Though I haven't tasted either yet (the real test), I've been pretty happy with the primary fermentation of both. The saison also carbed up in under a week.

Looking at your recipe, I'd think about T-58 if you want some yeast character. If you want to feature the Cascade against the Belgian malt, I'd use a clean yeast like S-05.

• Like 1

IMO 05 is boring. If you want to stick with Fermentis why not use the Safbrew BE-256.  Or any of the fun Saison strains for other vendors.

I see what you're saying.  But I was thinking something clean to let the flavor shine through.

• Like 1

I think S-23 and 34/70 are lager yeasts, for what it's worth.

I'm currently conditioning a saison using Danstar Belle Saison (rehydrated) and am about 12 days into fermenting a Belgian IPA using T-58. Though I haven't tasted either yet (the real test), I've been pretty happy with the primary fermentation of both. The saison also carbed up in under a week.

Looking at your recipe, I'd think about T-58 if you want some yeast character. If you want to feature the Cascade against the Belgian malt, I'd use a clean yeast like S-05.

I have a chest fermenter so making lager's aren't an issue.

And yes, I would like to feature the cascade against the Belgian malt.  But not cover that up with yeast.

You have 10 of these HMEs I think sticking to 05 would be a sin. The cascade and the malts will be featured regardless.

You have 10 of these HMEs I think sticking to 05 would be a sin. The cascade and the malts will be featured regardless.

LoL they were on sale for $12.95 IIRC, and I had free shipping.

Since you are using all that Cascade, you could call the brew  "Rainier's Revenge", or if you get bottle bombs, quickly change the labels to "St Helen's Wrath", or if it really sparkles, "Diamond Peak Ale".

Anyway that is the kind if theme line I would suggest you pick from.

man sure would like to buy a cple of those, i just tapped into my last batch of chimay blue in a mini keg, after about four months sealed up and I can barely finish two glasses w/o feeling really buzzed! but the taste is outta this world! I've been venturing lately into the wyeast world, try an abbey ale pack

like Hoppy, it is hard for me to recommend doing anything except chimay clones... they are sooo good... (4 bottles left).  I did my second Belgian straight up, not nearly as good.  However, with 10 cans... yeah, I think you gotta try a lager yeast, and I think a saison too.  Hops additions I can't offer any advice on.    

After 6 months in the bottle, I opened the Chimay Blue for my wife.  She said it had been so long since she had last had one she couldn't remember what it was supposed to taste like lol.

It was silky smooth with just the right amount of carb per the style.

I still have a few bottles sitting around that I will probably drink this Christmas.

Oh crap!  That means I need to make more now!

I am drinking some Belgian Spiced Ale as well. How about Notty for Ranger Red Ale

• Like 1

I am drinking some Belgian Spiced Ale as well. How about Notty for Ranger Red Ale

I think I am gonna use Notty for most everything. Keep it cold and it ferments pretty clean, and it is one of the best flocculating, most tightly-compacting yeasts out there. I don't leave beer in my bottles when I pour them, and I get none of the trub/yeast on the bottom of the bottle in my glass.

• Like 2