Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mjc

Lager Beer Conditioning

About to try my first true lager now that I have a wine refridge that I can set to 55 degrees.  Looking for a little clarification, so I ferment at about 55 degrees for 3 weeks, but when I bottle, do I store and condition at the same temperature, or once bottled can I just store them at room temperature?

Thanks all

Condition at the temp you fermented at for best results. This is true with every beer.

I'm a little over my pay-grade here but I think when fermenting a lager don't you want to use a secondary somewhere in the fermenting process?

I'm a little over my pay-grade here but I think when fermenting a lager don't you want to use a secondary somewhere in the fermenting process?

Only if you are making a true German-style Marzen and are lagering it from March until September. Even then, it might be OK without it.

:)

• Like 1

last Feb/Mar I did the Seasonal Doppelbock - I fermented at 55 F for 18 days, did a Diactyl rest (brought up to 65 F) for three days, and then bottled.  I put all the bottles at 70F for two weeks to carb, then put six of them in the fridge for conditioning and the remainder stayed at 70 F.  

The one thing that was clear for me - warmer temps conditioned the beer 'faster'.  After eight weeks, I taste tested the cold and the warm side by side, and the warm won hands down.  Not to say the cold conditioned bottles would not get there, it just seems to take longer at lower temps - just like carbing does.  

I finished two lagers a few weeks ago, they are both three weeks in the bottle.  The taste tests i've done indicate (to me) that the WDA lager I did, is ready to go.  Whereas the Germany Doppelbock needs another couple of months...  so... YMMV

I've made a lot of lagers.  If you properly pitch your yeast, the DR is unnecessary.

To answer the OP, a lighter session lager will be ready rather quickly.  What will slow you down is carbonation cycle.

If you cold brew, then cold carb, then cold store, it could take 8 weeks.

If you cold brew, then warm carb, then cold store, it could take 6 weeks.

If you cold brew, then warm carb, then warm store, it could take 5 weeks.

3 different ways to make a lager... and each way will produce a different taste.

• Like 3

Thanks all for the info.  I have just enough room in my small refridge for the LBK, so I ferment in it, but I don't think I have the room to just let them sit there for 2-3 months conditioning.  Probably wind up fermenting at 55F and carb and conditioning in a cooler in my garage, this time of year it may bounce around a bit (and the cooler should mitigate wide temperature swings), but probably will average in the 50's, unless a cold or warm front moves in.