Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
slym2none

How do YOU get your wort from the BK into the LBK?

(BK = brew kettle)

So, I am curious, how does everyone transfer their wort into the LBK before pitching yeast? I imagine for most that do it the exact Mr. Beer way, it's pretty easy to just pour it from the pot, but I know not everyone uses the MrB kits but use their own recipes & just have the LBKs as their fermentors (I am right about 50/50 MrB/extract with hop-boils myself) and even when I am using the MrB HMEs, I do 1- and 2-gallon boils so I can hop-stand for more flavour & aromas.

I ask not only because I am curious but also because my last batch was a nightmare. I couldn't get a good pour to ever go and probably lost 3-4 beers worth of wort in spillage. I even stopped, started using a sanitized plastic cup to transfer most of the wort out, and then proceeded to spill more when I thought there was little enough to cause problems if I just poured from the BK again.

Maybe I should get a racking cane...

:(

Funny you bring this up ... I am a first time user (Last Monday) and my first experience pouring from my pot to the LBK was a messy one. Luckily I only missed a little but it got all over the counter and on the LBK. So in short I am looking forward to some answers on this post. :D

• Like 1

New brewers should PRACTICE pouring 6 cups of water from the pot into the LBK.  Hint - pour TOWARD you.  Practice with water, spilling it won't make you cry.

When I brew 5 gallon recipes, I split the recipe between 2 LBKS that each have a gallon of cold water in them.  My wort ends up around 2 - 2.5 gallons in the pot.  I use two measuring cups (1 quart, 1 pint), a strainer, and a canning funnel (wide with wide opening).  All get sanitized, the canning funnel goes in the opening of the LBK.  The quart measuring cup goes on a sanitized plate, with the strainer perched on top of it.  I use the pint measuring cup to dip into the wort (cooled to 95-100 in an ice bath) and pour it through the strainer into the quart measuring cup.  When full to the quart line, I pour it into the first LBK, then move the funnel, then repeat.  I spill about an ounce or so in total. 

• Like 3

Rick brings up a good point, one I neglected to mention - pouring TOWARD you is definitely easier.

It's also easier to get wort all over you when you badly miss, but that is pure user error there. Ask me how I know...

:lol:

The good news is on the second try with my other LBK and another type of beer I didn't spill any so it can be done. I noticed I rushed the pour a little the first time but not the second....

My last batch was my first using a siphon. It was awesome!!!! So easy and all I did was put it in soapy water after and pump the heck out of it. Recommending that for sure

This was a 5 gallon batch though. For normal 2 gallon batches I just just towards me. The new LBKs are slightly bigger as far as opening goes.

• Like 1

Pour towards you, as mentioned. Secondly, some pots have a better "lip" than others, and pour very nicely. I am not endorsing one brand or another, but I have a Wolgang Puck pot that has great handles on the sides and a lip that does not spill a drop. I also have a Farberware pot that drips like crazy and is impossible to use to pour.

I put my LBK in the sink and pour away. I start with the pot close to the opening and lift away. Pouring from an elevation helps to aerate the wort. Then I do the same with with the additional water until I get to the proper level. If I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch, I siphon from the brew kettle to the fermenter. Then I add the water necessary to get to 5 gallons. Again, I pour from an elevation to help with aeration.

whether fermenting in a bucket or a narrow mouthed beverage dispenser or a gallon glass carboy.. my process is always the same.  in a bucket of star san I take a very clean strainer.. one of those hand held ones about 5 or 6 inches across ... and a 4 cup measuring cup..glass..   and a metal funnel... and soak them all while cooling wort.

I put the now cool wort pot on the floor... easier to clean.  I put fermenter on a towel on floor.  put funnel in opening of bev dispenser with strainer on top.. or if not, just put strainer over opening of bucket.  star san my hands after washing well... then use measuring cup to transfer into strainer.  wort must be cool! you don't want to aerate hot wort. straining gets rid of excess hop crud... hot and cold break to a degree... and aerates the wort.  then I top it off to volume.. pitch yeast..

the lbk is so much easier but I love making things as complicated as possible. it's how I am wired. "work harder, not smarter"

Just FYI - hot-side aeration is a total "old wive's tale". You can aerate the wort when it is hot and suffer no ill consequences.

Also, it has been shown that there might be benefits to leaving all the hot- and cold-break material to be put in your fermentor. At the least, there isn't any negative effects for leaving it in there.

true on both for the home brewer...   another good reason though the way I do it... if you cool it first you wont get 2nd degree burns when you spill it on youself! I'm clumsy enough to do it to. 

some break material actually is good for food for the yeast but wouldn't excessive amounts contribute off flavors potentially? after all we're talking fats and proteins and such....

im also notoriously cheap. I try to end up with as little trub as possible. my first mostly grain brew I nearly wept at the sight of nearly a gallon of trub out of a 5 gallon batch.  :(  

I have a saucepan I use that has a handle on BOTH sides and a good lip that does not drip. I hold the pan to the rear of the LBK and pour towards myself slowly.

I have not missed yet in 100+ brews. (I am really asking for it now.......lol).

The trick I think is to pour slowly and steadily, and also to have a pan that pours well and has the 2 handles

beer Pot

Yeah, I've been using the same pot the whole time, I nice SS soup pot with two handles and a thick, clad-copper bottom. IDK why it refused to pour nicely this time, but I never could get it to stop running down the side of the pot while pouring. I must've had a bad day that day. I can usually pour half of it in no problem, with the LBK in the sink and tipping the pot over to it, then I raise the pot about a foot above the opening of the LBK so it gets some aerating-action. This time around, no aeration happened 'cause I couldn't stop spilling it. I was so mad I didn't even take a gravity sample.

Zorak, except for my batch of Novacaine (just too much trub!), I dump everything in. The break won't hurt us homebrewers any unless you let the beer sit in primary long enough for the yeast to be a problem as well. I figure I will let the yeast figure out what it wants to munch on, and cold-crashing rewards me with very clear beer.

For that Novacaine batch, I actually only got about 2 gallons in the LBK, then I transferred the massive amount of trub-y wort into a large sanitized container & cold-crashed that overnight. I was rewarded with a little over a quart of wort (and about that much trub!) that I then poured into the LBK the next day. I still had the most trub in the bottom of the LBK out of any batch I've ever made, too.

• Like 1

And that is why I hold the pot close to the top of the LBK before pouring, and that is why I put the hops in bags......

I aerate with sink flex hose using spray feature. Lots of air there. Sometimes so many air bubbles in the wort it makes it tough to pitch yeast - lol.

I am only pouring the 4 cups of water and the malts.

I use a brew kettle with a valve on it. I put a quick connector on it a couple feet of hose on the connector. I use this when splitting 5 gallon batches between 2 lbks. I just open the valve and pour into a sanitized measuring cup and close the valve when full. I then alternate cups between the 2 lbks until all the wort is gone. Works good.

• Like 2

I do want to remind folks - I am not pouring out 4-6 cups of water. Not since my first batch have I used just the 4 cups of water provided. 1 gallon is easy still, and my first few 2-gallon boils went nicely, but this last one was 2 gallons and it pitched a fit.

Maybe I should get a real brew kettle, one with a spigot attached...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

New brewers should PRACTICE pouring 6 cups of water from the pot into the LBK.  Hint - pour TOWARD you.

I put my LBK between me and the pot.  Then pour the pot with the opening facing me.

I can:

1. see how fast or slow the liquid is going
  2. avoid pouring sediment and irish mosh into my LBK

If you're still spilling pouring towards yourself, your pot is either too big or your arms are too weak (also meaning that your pot is too big).

Also make sure your pot isn't full to the rim (I'm not sure how it could be if you were boiling wort).  You will certainly spill if it is.

I do believe I was just called "girly-arms" by Vakko!

:o  :lol:  ;)

Seriously, I am chalking it up to a bad day.

I use a brew kettle with a valve on it. I put a quick connector on it a couple feet of hose on the connector. I use this when splitting 5 gallon batches between 2 lbks. I just open the valve and pour into a sanitized measuring cup and close the valve when full. I then alternate cups between the 2 lbks until all the wort is gone. Works good.

This is like my dream. I need this BK in my life asap. Think of the possibilities!!!! Same styles with different hops or yeasts even... Amazon Xmas list being created tonight

I have a saucepan I use that has a handle on BOTH sides and a good lip that does not drip. I hold the pan to the rear of the LBK and pour towards myself slowly.

I have not missed yet in 100+ brews. (I am really asking for it now.......lol).

The trick I think is to pour slowly and steadily, and also to have a pan that pours well and has the 2 handles

looks like an Allclad pot... i use a 3 Qt. Allclad pot with the two regular handles...