Mr.Beer Community
mailman

Needs more carbonation

So I've read through some other posts and have gotten good ideas for my next batch....but can I help this one?

This is my first batch and I followed the MB instructions that came with the kit. I sanitized everything, made the beer, fermented and put in one carbonation drop when bottling and let it site. The temperature its been at has been ok, I don't think its too cold.

It's been sitting in the bottles just hanging out for about 12 weeks. Flavor has gotten much better and I'd happily drink it. But it doesn't have much carbonation. It's not totally flat and has gotten better as its been aging but is there anything I can do to help it along? or just let it sit and see what happens? Or just drink it up and try again?

• Like 1

Ok I am still a major nub but if it is the plastic bottles that came with the kit I thought it said to use 2 carbo drops.... Maybe I am wrong (Still a nub)

• Like 1

It may be that you didn't use enough priming sugar (carbonation drops). Were you using the 740 mL bottles that come with the kit?

Apparently I lied, sorry! I forgot, but I did use 2 drops per bottle. I just double checked the directions.

I have heard of other people having issues with drops like this. It doesn't make sense, though, that one batch of sugar-pills would work and the next one wouldn't.

:unsure:

People actually open up the bottles and dump more sugar in right? Are you supposed to add a little more or add what you should've in the beginning? If that makes sense. I have an under carbed batch too

People actually open up the bottles and dump more sugar in right? Are you supposed to add a little more or add what you should've in the beginning? If that makes sense. I have an under carbed batch too

It'll be messy

I was wondering if I should try to add more sugar, but there are lots of stories of bottles exploding, so I'd like to avoid that. I'm using plastic, but still.

12 weeks is a long time to wait to add more sugar. Once opened, and the beer is flat, add enough sugar as if you had just bottled the beer. If there is some carbonation, I would reduce the priming  sugar, but I can't help you on the amount to reduce. My concern is that after 3 months, there may not be any active yeast left in the bottles, and they will not carbonate at all, unless you add some live yeast. My advice is this: Wait until you have just bottled a brew from the LBK, and use some of the live yeast from the yeast cake at the bottom to add to your under carbonated bottles from this batch. Use a sanitized plastic straw and add just touch the yeast cake and then dip it into the bottle. You'll pick up plenty of live yeast. Alternatively, you could add a couple of drops from a fresh packet of yeast that has been proofed in warm water and sugar. Or, just enjoy the beer as is, and try again! Personally, I would go with option three, as I am rather lazy, and would not want to wait any more to drink my beer. Anyway, good luck.

5 brews in, using slightly less than the Mr.Beer recommendations for sugar gives me a perfect amount of carbonation.  Did you use plastic bottles?  Is it possible you did not tighten them enough?

I just had my first experience with very little carbonation in a Mr. Beer bottle (740 ml).  This was the Mexican Cerveza basic brew.  I'm still new to this.  I've only bottled three batches so far.  The Classic American Light carbonated very well in two weeks.  The Diablo IPA was pretty good, too.  But I'm letting the rest of the Diablo bottles carbonate 3+ weeks before refrigeration.  I'm keeping the temperature right in the middle of the recommended range for fermenting and carbonating.

But this first bottle of Cerveza was flat.  The bottle had a certain about of firmness to it.  And, I heard some CO2 when I opened the cap.  But the Cerveza was flat.   I had suspected that there was something wrong when I kept seeing a few small bubbles coming up in that particular bottle.  I'm guessing that the screw cap just didn't seal well.  (Second time I used that cap.)  None of the other 11 bottles are showing little bubbles coming up during the carbonation phase.  They are on track to firm up.

OK.  Confession time.  I was curious about this particular bottle because of the bubbles.  So, this bottle of Cerveza was only carbed for 10 days and refrigerated for 1 day.  The bottle probably would have firmed up more with more time.  But I was curious about the bubbles.  I'm going to let the other bottles of Cerveza carb for at least 2 or 3 weeks before refrigerating the bottles.

I've used two carb drops in each 740ml bottle for these three batches.  I'd like to get a little more carbonation.  Is it OK to add a little more priming sugar at the time that I bottle a batch?  What is the result of adding three carb drops instead of two?  

3 drops will probably be too much. Really, if a 500mL bottle is carbed fine with one drop, it seems that 2 drops in a 750mL bottle would be far more carbonated than the 500mL bottle.

3 drops would probably bust even a plastic bottle.

Thanks.  I'll stick with the 2 drops in a 740 ml bottle and give it a little more time.  I know, I know....patience is the key!

• Like 1