Mr.Beer Community

Just grabbed my first refills since 2010, looking for any and all pointers for brewing with the American Porter. I'm thinking of adding smooth lme, 1/2 C of cocoa powder and a drop of vanilla extract at bottling. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Take a look at the Nilla Porter recipe in the archive -- it uses smooth LME, brown sugar and vanilla. I've got this one conditioning right now so I don't have a final review yet, but it did have nice flavor coming out of the LBK prior to bottling. Your recipe sounds pretty good too -- good luck!

• Like 1

Smooth is good, I just made one using 1 Robust and 1 Smooth for combo of flavors. Taste at bottling was good - still maturing.. I have also made Porter using 2 Robust. (Double Deluxe) That was very nice.

I made Vanilla Porter using Porter HME, 1 Pale LME and 2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract. That was probably more vanilla than I needed. I had to wait a few months for it to calm down and it seemed more bitter than I expected.

• Like 1

I brewed a vanilla cherry bourbon oak porter awhile back, all said and done all I cud taste was the bourbon oak, mainly, bcuz I went overboard with the bourbon oak, if maybe added for or five chips, then I think maybe the vanilla and cherry flavors would be more pronounced, I would recommend a cherry extract at bottling, and maybe the same with the vanilla

Just grabbed my first refills since 2010, looking for any and all pointers for brewing with the American Porter. I'm thinking of adding smooth lme, 1/2 C of cocoa powder and a drop of vanilla extract at bottling. Any thoughts?

Sounds good! Though I'd use the Golden instead of Smooth because it's our wheat extract and it will greatly improve your head retention and mouthfeel. Also, the cocoa powder works OK, but nibs work better. ;)

By the way, welcome to the community!! :D

• Like 1

I used dextrose and Barley malt LMEs but maybe I could get away with just a bit of wheat malt but I wanted the flavor from the smooth & robust malts..

Thanks for the tips guys! I've got some more refills on the way so I'm sure I'll be asking for a few more.

FWIW -- The Nilla Porter exceeded expectations! A full creamy head, just hoppy enough to provide some balance, and great flavor as it warms in the mug. Good Luck!

Nilla Porter

2 weeks fermentation to hit FG of 1.005

16 days to carbonate and condition for a "taste test"

My Porter has been in the LBK for 5 days now and I'm getting a 1.006 on my hydrometer. Plan on leaving it in for another 15 days or so. Just wondering what FG range is avg for a Porter.

FWIW -- The Nilla Porter exceeded expectations! A full creamy head, just hoppy enough to provide some balance, and great flavor as it warms in the mug. Good Luck!

Nilla Porter

2 weeks fermentation to hit FG of 1.005

16 days to carbonate and condition for a "taste test"

I decided to add 1/3 C brown sugar as well.

My Porter has been in the LBK for 5 days now and I'm getting a 1.006 on my hydrometer. Plan on leaving it in for another 15 days or so. Just wondering what FG range is avg for a Porter.

That seems pretty dry.

The Mr. Beer site will give you an approximate FG to shoot for.

To see if it done, see if the hydrometer reads the same over a couple days, then it has finished - although you may get some flavor improvements leaving it longer.

That seems pretty dry.

The Mr. Beer site will give you an approximate FG to shoot for.

If so, I can't find it. Plus I used the smooth lme not robust, not sure that causes a big difference in gravity.

Smooth is good, I just made one using 1 Robust and 1 Smooth for combo of flavors. Taste at bottling was good - still maturing.. I have also made Porter using 2 Robust. (Double Deluxe) That was very nice.

I made Vanilla Porter using Porter HME, 1 Pale LME and 2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract. That was probably more vanilla than I needed. I had to wait a few months for it to calm down and it seemed more bitter than I expected.

I tasted a sip after testing and it is bitter. Granted it was day 5.

If so, I can't find it. Plus I used the smooth lme not robust, not sure that causes a big difference in gravity.

Well, I swear they used to give that info, but you are right, as I can't find it either. Sorry about that.

The LMEs shouldn't change anything just because you used a different one. They all will add about 1% ABV to your brew.

Day 8 in ferm and activity has calmed alot. SG is a consistent 1.006 the last 48hrs. Thinking I should let it sit another 10-12 days before bottling. Thoughts??

• Like 1

Day 8 in ferm and activity has calmed alot. SG is a consistent 1.006 the last 48hrs. Thinking I should let it sit another 10-12 days before bottling. Thoughts??

Yes, let it sit longer. While most of the fermentable sugars may be gone, the yeast will clean byproducts from the beer while allowing the dead yeast to precipitate to the sediment.

• Like 3

While it is my understanding that the "clean-up" phase really only lasts for 2-3 days after fermentation has stopped, your beer will get clearer if it sits longer than that. I still go the full three weeks.

:)

• Like 1

We don't recommend 3-4 for nothing.  Over the years, people have experimented with a week, two weeks, three weeks.  The key is the clean-up goes on while fermentation is done.  Enough tried over the years that for me I decided not to try - to go with what worked.  That said, I go 18 days and then cold crash for 3.  

• Like 1

NwMaltHead, on 18 Nov 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

I tasted a sip after testing and it is bitter. Granted it was day 5.

Mine too for the vanilla one. The vanilla needed a lot of time to calm down. Next time I will put much less.  Mr Beer site says  for deluxe:

Flavor: Malty

ABV (alc/vol): 4.7%

SRM (Color): 34

IBU (Bitterness): 41

With 2 malt packs it will seem less bitter, but 41 is quite noticeably bitter.

While it is my understanding that the "clean-up" phase really only lasts for 2-3 days after fermentation has stopped, your beer will get clearer if it sits longer than that. I still go the full three weeks.

:)

This is only partly true. While it only takes a few days to reduce diacetyl using a diacetyl rest, the clean-up of byproducts can actually go on for many weeks if you let it. This is why many beers are conditioned, especially at room temps. Because during those weeks, the yeast (and acids) is still working on the beer's complexity. In many cases, it can continue to refine the beer for years. It can take many weeks for yeast to reduce acetaldehyde, and it takes even longer to reduce dimethyl sulfide. A 3 week fermentation time is sufficient to clean the beer from most concentrations of certain byproducts, but further conditioning for long periods is always better, especially for the maltier beers.

• Like 2