Mr.Beer Community

Got a simple Chocolate Porter working now, wondering if I should use the carbonation tablets I purchased or use sugar. I'm seeing mixed reviews on the subject; I'm thinking about doing half with sugar, the other half with the tabs. Thoughts??

I think it is only a question of convenience and what you like to do. The end result is the same.

The tabs sometime you may have to cut depending on the bottle size and how much carb you want.

You can use loose granulated sugar, but imho that is messy and more difficult to get even measure although there are some nice spoons available on Internet.

My preference is to use the sugar dots (198 to the lb) as I generally only use plastic 1L or .75L PTS bottles or the clip top glass 500ml bottles.   The cubes are more of a pain to get in glass 12 oz bottles. For those the best probably is the bulk  batch priming some folks do. 

There are tables of how many of what for what bottle here in the forum. And when more sophisticated, one may use a different table to carbonate differently by beer style.  am not up to that yet. I use 1 cube per 250mL of beer and it comes pretty close. I get enough variation anyway that I don't worry. (Maybe leaky caps, unfermented sugar, who knows, but probably mostly old caps. I am on a replacement campaign now after 5-10 uses.)

been at this for about a year.... several kegs brewed .....  just imho..but i prefer the tabs..... tried sugar for a couple of batches...and got good beer..but swollen bottles made me a bit nervous lol     guess the measurement wasn't always correct lol

give it a shot tho.... beats buying tabs to say the least....

The carbonation tabs and table sugar are the same thing. No difference other than one is per-measured.

• Like 1

The carbonation tabs and table sugar are the same thing. No difference other than one is per-measured.

Curious, as the last packet of Cooper's carbonation tablets I had said there was wheat in the ingredients.

Curious, as the last packet of Cooper's carbonation tablets I had said there was wheat in the ingredients.

Says "Sugar, Glucose (wheat)".

Glucose = Sucrose + Fructose. Still basically the same thing. They ferment exactly the same. I've done many side-by-sides and haven't found any difference between carbonation times, pressures, or flavor.

• Like 1

I have used the drops a couple of times & find them to be great. The best part is just plopping one in the bottle, no measuring sugar into a little funnel, and/or no messing with batch-priming. If they were only a little cheaper...

:D

I definitely don't understand all the people that say they used them and got no carbonation. I just can't see how that's possible.

• Like 2