Mr.Beer Community

Should've added Oats to my chocolate Porter! I'm sure it happens a lot the first few batches... Realizing after its fermenting, that you wanna try adding or tweaking one thing in the recipe... Maybe next time

You can still put some in.

I mean if Lucky Charms Stout recipe can put dry cereal in, so can you if it is sterile.

Only question is  whether the oats are sterile.

So I would put them in a bag and pour boiling water on them. maybe 1.5-2 cups max., (enough to cover bag in a small container) cover the container (to keep dust out) and let them soak until cool then put bag and liquid in the LBK.  You will get extra benefit from this besides sterilizing I think.

I see recipes also

- boil oats in a bag for 20 min then remove oats and use the water for making the wort.  You could do this too and add it later (cooled) I think if not too much water to overfill the LBK

- steep oats at 160 deg for 20 min with choc grain. Then toss the bag. You could do this to get oat water to add.

I am guessing you would get benefit from any of these and I see no problem with adding later, I don't think the oat water is fermented anyway unless you mash the oats with grain so you get enzymes to convert some starch to sugar - I think it just adds to the thickness from the oat goo.

I am ready for experts to correct me lol

• Like 1

Well its on day 15, going to cold crash Monday so rather just leave as is, first batch in 5 years lol maybe next time... Ha-ha plan on making the California Dreamin next along with an American Wheat (Bavarian Weissbier with US-05 and golden lme). Might add oats to the wheat though, still planning that recipe.

I wouldn't do this.  Steeping oats is fine.  Putting a bag of wet oatmeal in the LBK while it ferments is asking for trouble.  

Well, Rick is the acknowledged expert :-)

What about just the steeped oat water? into LBK (after boiling without oats in it)

That's exactly what steeping is.  You use the steeped water as your "boiling water to add HME to" in the Mr. Beer process.  Steep, boil, flame off, add HME, stir, pour into LBK that has a gallon of cold water in it.

OK but what about adding the steeped oat water as the afterthought into LBK?   Although not probably ideal would it have worked?