Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jorpet

Adding booster?

Can you add booster after you start fermenting? I will be 24 hrs into ferment and didn't put a booster in my American Porter. Is it too late or can I add and slowly stir to dissolve?

Can you add booster after you start fermenting? I will be 24 hrs into ferment and didn't put a booster in my American Porter. Is it too late or can I add and slowly stir to dissolve?

I wouldn't do it due to the risk of infection. Booster isn't a required product anyway. It's an optional product to boost your ABV about 1%, but at the cost of flavor. Your beer will taste fine without it.

I am not a fan of booster, however it is a bad idea to open the LBK while fermenting, for the very reason Josh stated.

"at the cost of flavor"  Good to know. I have an older re-fill without booster.  I prefer flavor > ABV all day

• Like 1

Ok so I won't mess with it. I thought the booster was supposed to bring out the flavor more along with upping the alcohol?

I was worried because it looks like all the refills come with booster and the one I got at my local supply store did not but I bought a pack anyway. I thought I screwed up.

I was worried because it looks like all the refills come with booster and the one I got at my local supply store did not but I bought a pack anyway. I thought I screwed up.

The Booster is only included with kits bought directly from us. The retailers do not carry it. You didn't screw up. ;)

Well, regarding flavor, I think if you add malt you impact the flavor more than if you add booster.  I use Booster if I do NOT want to change the flavor but want better head retention texture and ABV.

Unless Josh means that by "at the cost of flavor" ......

If you are increasing ABV, then assuming MORE flavor is better, then booster is the way to add ABV at the cost of not adding more flavor which MALT would do. 

Josh?

Well, regarding flavor, I think if you add malt you impact the flavor more than if you add booster.  I use Booster if I do NOT want to change the flavor but want better head retention texture and ABV.

Unless Josh means that by "at the cost of flavor" ......

If you are increasing ABV, then assuming MORE flavor is better, then booster is the way to add ABV at the cost of not adding more flavor which MALT would do. 

Josh?

Adding Booster reduces malt flavor. Adding any non-malt adjunct reduces malt flavor.

• Like 1