Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

New 2015 Winter Seasonal - Baltic Porter - NOW AVAILABLE!!

Our newest Winter Seasonal has been released! Introducing our Baltic Porter!

A traditional beer from countries bordering the Baltic Sea based on English porters and influenced by Russian Imperial Stouts, this Baltic Porter exhibits a dark chocolate color with crimson hues and a thick persistent tan head. The rich, malty, sweetness balances with a roasted flavor ad hints of caramel. Exhibiting a complex aroma or raisins and cherries complimented by a warming, smooth mouthfeel finishing with a hint of licorice.

NOTE: While these beers are traditionally brewed with a lager yeast, they can also be brewed with an ale yeast. Because ales are easier to brew, we have included the S-04 with these kits. However, you can save the S-04 for another beer and pick up a pack of Saflager S-23 and ferment at lager temps if you would prefer a more traditional Baltic Porter. If using an ale yeast, it is best to ferment at the lowest temp you can go. The S-04 can actually handle temps as low as 54 F without going dormant so I recommend around 60-70 for this beer (the lower, the better). This will prevent production of any esters/phenols that would be undesirable in a Baltic Porter. 

Purchase your Baltic Porter here: http://www.mrbeer.com/baltic-porter-2015-winter-seasonal

Cheers! :D

• Like 2

edit: sorry, not clear...

so, if the ale yeast can go to 54, conceivably one could use a lager yeast in one batch and the s-04 in another, and hold temp at 55F?  

• Like 2

So, for us newbies in the group, if I used the S-23 and fermented at around 50°, would the 3-week ferment still be appropriate?

• Like 1

edit: sorry, not clear...

so, if the ale yeast can go to 54, conceivably one could use a lager yeast in one batch and the s-04 in another, and hold temp at 55F?  

Yes.

So, for us newbies in the group, if I used the S-23 and fermented at around 50°, would the 3-week ferment still be appropriate?

Yes.

If using a lager yeast don't forget about your diacetyl rest! Baltic Porters should have a clean lager character with no detectable diacetyl. For the last 3-4 days of your fermentation, simply raise the temperature to 65+. This should decrease any diacetyl created by the yeast. The good news is the S-23 doesn't put off as much diacetyl as the W-34/70, but you could use either yeast, if you wished. The S-04 will still make a nice and clean tasting Baltic Porter at low temps.

• Like 2

I've used W-34/70 on all the lagers i've done... I've read that s-23 gives a sweeter finish, opinions on why this is recommended over the W-34/70?  

• Like 1

I've used W-34/70 on all the lagers i've done... I've read that s-23 gives a sweeter finish, opinions on why this is recommended over the W-34/70?  

See my edited post above yours.

Baltic porters should typically finish around 1.016 – 1.024. The S-23 is well-suited for that range as it won't attenuate as well as the W-34/70. Baltic porters are intended to be rich and malty sweet unlike the more typical robust porter style.

BJCP Style Guidelines for the Baltic Porter: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php#1c

• Like 1

That is one good-looking can of extract -- I may order a few and use them as Cristmas decorations around the house! Oh, and make sure the Mr. Beer Sales & Marketing staff get a nice bonus for their efforts!

Agreed, a really nicely designed can  (although sadly dented so not good for mantel ornament)

Oh............it would be SOOOOOOOOOO nice to be able to get the seasonal brews in a timeframe to drink them in the season intended.

The Baltic Porter has lots of  Winter festival type decorations on the can but  it surely will take several months to be nicely drinkable.

I mean can we get the Winter drinkable seasonal release please in the 2nd qtr of the year???

And the Summer Seasonal in the 4Q or 1Q before the summer.

I mean if stores will put out Winter clothes in July, why not Seasonal Winter beer kits?

Enough complaining, I can't wait to brew it but wish I had it 6 months ago.

• Like 1

I mean can we get the Winter drinkable seasonal release please in the 2nd qtr of the year???

And the Summer Seasonal in the 4Q or 1Q before the summer.

making beer is about patience, right?  get the 2014 seasonals, or buy and hold the 2015's for 12 months!  :)

i have Belgian spiced finishing up now... wasn't that a 2013?   

(but I know - right!)  

Finally, got this one coming -- just in time for winter!  Just kidding...I will wait the prescribed conditioning time before enjoying this one.  I think I will brew @ lager temp. with the S-23. 

Did the 2014 season (was on sale last year). Let the beer condition for a full year. Its gooooooooood. So if ur patient thats an optio

• Like 1

Re Patience, yeah keep and brew 6-9  months later, but impatient.....................

Of course one can always just drink it out of season.

Wasnt trying to be rude. Feel it came off that way.

I am glad it conditionedthat long. It was an over powering brew but calmed down alot.

No offence seen or taken, I also conditioned my seasonals a long time, although I usually sneak one a bit sooner out of curiosity.

I was really  commenting on cowboykyle's post.

Re Patience, yeah keep and brew 6-9  months later, but impatient.....................

Of course one can always just drink it out of season.

same here... a more robust pipeline helps save at least half of a batch until it is conditioned as recommended.  the downside is that takes time to get to.  

a lot of beers - out of season is no issue - but some, i find it hard to drink wheat beers in the winter... even though I like them a lot...

Right now, the local Total Wine has all Pumpkin beers at 1/2 price or better, even the fancy Imperial ones etc. so If I had no pipeline I would have stocked up.

But I have my own pumpkin ale sitting there in my pipeline :D

i ordered the 2014 seasonal sale, haven't tried the esb nor the dortmunder, so looking forward, and not a bad price either

Both quite good. My Dortmunder over carbonated (I bottled too early in error) and my ESB under carbonated which is actually good for the ESB style.

gonna set up a frnd of mine with the ESB seasonal for an xmas present to get him started brewing beer, since he's big on English beers, his favorite is Boddington's. I just got a cple of brew kits minus the extract cans to set a few more frnds up  with the mr. beer experience

• Like 2

On 12/9/2015 at 9:39 AM, MRB Josh R said:

See my edited post above yours.

Baltic porters should typically finish around 1.016 – 1.024. The S-23 is well-suited for that range as it won't attenuate as well as the W-34/70. Baltic porters are intended to be rich and malty sweet unlike the more typical robust porter style.

BJCP Style Guidelines for the Baltic Porter: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style12.php#1c

I just started my Mr. Beer Baltic Porter.  I've searched around here but couldn't find what the typical OG reading should be for the basic recipe.  I'm starting at 1.053 which might be low?  The description suggests 6.5% will be the ABV.  I really don't care if I end up a little below 5%...but was hoping my OG was in the ballpark of what I should expect.  Does anyone have an OG on this seasonal offering by Mr. Beer?   Oh, almost forgot...."Happy New Year everyone!"

Assume you finish at 1.013. 1.053 -  1.013 = 40 x 1.3125 = 5.25 ABV,  assuming no temp correction.  You won't be below 5%.  Hit 1.008 and you're at 5.9%.

• Like 1

As Josh noted baltics should finish at about 1.016 to1.024...  So starting at 1.053, assuming very good attenuation that'll yield 4.9%.  If you end up near 1.024, you're under 4%.  

That being said, sometimes when I get lower than expected OG, it finishes lower too, so the target ABV is achieved anyhow...

Did is you use the S-04?  I don't know any methods to maximize attenuation, maybe bump up temp a couple of degrees per couple of days that last week....

4 minutes ago, cowboykyle said:

As Josh noted baltics should finish at about 1.016 to1.024...  So starting at 1.053, assuming very good attenuation that'll yield 4.9%.  If you end up near 1.024, you're under 4%.  

That being said, sometimes when I get lower than expected OG, it finishes lower too, so the target ABV is achieved anyhow...

Did is you use the S-04?  I don't know any methods to maximize attenuation, maybe bump up temp a couple of degrees per couple of days that last week....

Thanks for the info!  That's what I calculated, too.

Yes, I used the S-04 yeast.

I've read that Baltic Porters usually start out at >1.060 OG.  That's why I was asking the locals here if they were getting that with this year's seasonal Baltic Porter extract.  I kept checking the instructions to see if I left some extra LME out or something.  The Mr. Beer Baltic Porter extract is a BIG can and I made sure that I got all of it out.  Not a big deal about the lower OG that I got.  I'll let the fermentation go plenty long and do some FG checks before bottling and maybe even bump up the temperature at the end just like you said.   Maybe Josh will chime in next week.   Thanks again.

I brewed one here at the office and reached around 1.058 on the OG so you might have been a little low somehow. Too much water, perhaps? Don't forget to do temperature corrections for your hydrometer to get an accurate reading. My FG was actually a bit lower than expected at 1.015, but it came out pretty good.

3 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I brewed one here at the office and reached around 1.058 on the OG so you might have been a little low somehow. Too much water, perhaps? Don't forget to do temperature corrections for your hydrometer to get an accurate reading. My FG was actually a bit lower than expected at 1.015, but it came out pretty good.

Thanks for the numbers, Josh.  Maybe too much water.  No problem.  I'm sure it'll turn out great.  Those little yeast guys went to town pretty quickly and I had a LBK full of krausen!  They've settled down now after 4 days.  I've got a temperature down around 64 deg F and I'll let them work for 3 weeks.

started my Baltic last night.  measured 1.064 for it.  I was using cooled water to get temps close to lager fermenting temps - I believe I was at low to mid 60s when I measured.  So, if anything, the correction would be +0.001 or +0.0005...  

both the dortmunder and the helles measured 1.066, same process with chilled water.  using S-23 for the Baltic, W-34/70 for the dortmunder and helles.  

• Like 2

On 1/1/2016 at 0:33 PM, K5WX said:

I just started my Mr. Beer Baltic Porter.  I've searched around here but couldn't find what the typical OG reading should be for the basic recipe.  I'm starting at 1.053 which might be low?  The description suggests 6.5% will be the ABV.  I really don't care if I end up a little below 5%...but was hoping my OG was in the ballpark of what I should expect.  Does anyone have an OG on this seasonal offering by Mr. Beer?   Oh, almost forgot...."Happy New Year everyone!"

Update on my Baltic Porter....I had a 1.010 FG on my hydrometer so the ABV is above 5% and actually close to 6%.  I also bottled half of this LBK with the carbo drops and half with table sugar.  I doubt that I'll be able to tell any difference, but I thought I'd try it.  

• Like 2

Just noticed the sale on the Baltic Porter lager recipe -- as always, Mr. Beer seems to enjoy testing our spending discipline!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Just noticed the sale on the Baltic Porter lager recipe -- as always, Mr. Beer seems to enjoy testing our spending discipline!

No doubt!  This time, it's a little easier for me to resist as I already have a can of BP with the ale yeast.  Also, it's not so cool around here in southern NH.  I've got a Dortmunder Export lager fermenting in my (normally at this time of year) cool basement.  For the last week, it's been significantly warmer than average and the weather forecast calls for temperatures in the 50s on Monday and remaining warm for some time after.  I'm beginning to get a little concerned about keeping my wort cool enough.  Might be time to dig out a cooler and freeze some water bottles, and in the meantime I'm not looking to ferment any more lagers for the time being.  Despite the temptation, I'll pass on this offer.

But, darn it, I'd like to brew it as both an ale and a lager and compare the two.  Must resist ...

• Like 1

Resistance is futile!!

I say go for it! I'm interested in the comparison and could never justify the expense to SWMBO...

Brewing by proxy here, don't mind me :)

• Like 3

I'm really excited for this lager brew. It will be hard waiting at least 3 months, but it will definitely be worth it.

• Like 3

This is the second beer I am brewing. I still haven't had my first beer yet, but I'll get to have a bottle in two days (7 weeks 3 days total time). The whole wait has been pretty easy up until now. I just want to drink a bottle knowing it is in the fridge!

Anyway, I want to make sure I understand the process for this lager with the cold yeast.

1. Two weeks 3 days at 54-60 F.

2. Then 4 days at 65+ F. 

3. Bottling and carbonation at 70 F for 2 weeks.

4. Lagering at 35 F for 2 months.

5. Enjoy with friends.

• Like 2

OK, I've just had my first taste of the Baltic Porter....at 3 weeks fermenting and just 3 weeks conditioning and 3 days in the fridge.  I followed the recipe exactly and brewed it ale-style.  I know the other bottles will be getting better and better with more conditioning...but this first taste is pretty close to the description given by Mr. B.  Very dark color, very complex flavors.  I know the flavors will mature even more with time.  I'll post a final review in a month or two after more conditioning.  Bottom line: This is a pretty amazing first taste.  

Now that I've gotten that desire to have a taste out of my system, I can let the other bottles properly age and just break them out for refrigerating and sharing with friends sometime a month or more from now.  I know it'll be a big hit.

• Like 4

I just posted my review of the Baltic Porter.  I know I only let it condition 4 weeks but you know me...I couldn't wait.  I've tried a number of porters and this is as good as any of them.  I tried a porter tonight at the local Draught House and then went home and tried my Baltic Porter.  Mine was, of course, different...but every bit as good as the one they pumped from a cask for me.  (I had a London Porter by Fuller's brewery.  I know it's not a Baltic, but.....)   I'm sure the other bottles will get better with more conditioning.  (And yes, I'm going to wait another month before trying the next bottle.)   5 stars for this Baltic Porter.

• Like 4

On December 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM, MRB Josh R said:

Our newest Winter Seasonal has been released! Introducing our Baltic Porter!

A traditional beer from countries bordering the Baltic Sea based on English porters and influenced by Russian Imperial Stouts, this Baltic Porter exhibits a dark chocolate color with crimson hues and a thick persistent tan head. The rich, malty, sweetness balances with a roasted flavor ad hints of caramel. Exhibiting a complex aroma or raisins and cherries complimented by a warming, smooth mouthfeel finishing with a hint of licorice.

NOTE: While these beers are traditionally brewed with a lager yeast, they can also be brewed with an ale yeast. Because ales are easier to brew, we have included the S-04 with these kits. However, you can save the S-04 for another beer and pick up a pack of Saflager S-23 and ferment at lager temps if you would prefer a more traditional Baltic Porter. If using an ale yeast, it is best to ferment at the lowest temp you can go. The S-04 can actually handle temps as low as 54 F without going dormant so I recommend around 60-70 for this beer (the lower, the better). This will prevent production of any esters/phenols that would be undesirable in a Baltic Porter. 

Purchase your Baltic Porter here: http://www.mrbeer.com/baltic-porter-2015-winter-seasonal

Cheers! :D

Sampling an early one right now and it turned out excellent!  I brewed it lager-style with S-23 and am only on Day 16 in the bottle, but I can't imagine it getting any better than it is!  Maybe it's just me, but if you miss the Winter Dark Ale, brew some of this and get your fix! ?

• Like 3