Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrewThrough

Bottled with cork

I just bottled a batch of my goto recipe after not brewing for a few years. I cleaned with oxy free and sanitized with the white no rince powder from the LHB shop. I used my old flip tops and a small bottle I had from a lambic. This bottle came corked. I saved the cork and after filling from the keg I jammed it and smacked it down.

Here's what I notice: after a few days conditioning that bottle has a slight head on it. Does that mean it is leaking gas through the cork or is it infected? Or will it reach an equilibrium in a few weeks and I can enjoy it?

• Like 1

It was not sanitized. It was a last minute got this extra beer gotta do something. I used a Mr beer bottle which is actually looking infected. It's got large particles in suspension. The flip tops look good.

Just wait and see. Damage done. However, you might have a good beer brewing. Let us know in a month or so.

i don't know about corking, so don't take anything I say for fact... but don't corks need to be wet (stored on the side or upside down) to seal against leaks?  in particular CO2 leaks?  

i don't know about corking, so don't take anything I say for fact... but don't corks need to be wet (stored on the side or upside down) to seal against leaks?  in particular CO2 leaks?  

That is what I have always been told...Stored a couple of bottles of wine and champagne in the fridge on their sides for 5+ years and they surprisingly tasted fine and the champagne was still bubbly! :D

This is mostly true. Also, most lambics I've had that were corked also had a cap on it (Lindemann's is like this). Also, if you were able to hand fit the cork into the bottle, it won't work for carbonation.

OK, thanks. The one Mr beer bottle has cleared up and is very firm with trub on the bottom. Flip tops still look good. I popped the lambic bottle and it didn't go pop. It tasted fine but was pretty flat. I'll take the bottle to the LHBS and see if he has a proper corker for it.

• Like 1