Mr.Beer Community
RickBeer

Ah Nottingham

No Lightfoot Porter. Brewed Thursday morning. Temp set on 62. Looked like it was dying down last night, no overflow. 2.5 gallons in each LBK (2 lower ones, uppers have Irish Stout and modified CAL for Black and Tan). Notice ice cube tray partly filled from drain.

No, you cannot drink the contents of the tray...

post-57583-0-95556200-1449936870_thumb.j

• Like 3

Dude!!! Your #3 and #4 nozzles are on the wrong LBKs!!!

Did you look?  Be honest, I got you a little

No Lightfoot Porter. Brewed Thursday morning. Temp set on 62. Looked like it was dying down last night, no overflow. 2.5 gallons in each LBK (2 lower ones, uppers have Irish Stout and modified CAL for Black and Tan). Notice ice cube tray partly filled from drain.

No, you cannot drink the contents of the tray...

when I was a kid my dad says he always caught me eating the contents out of an ashtray???

What is the CAL Black & Tan recipe? (please....) I just started one using Pilsner.

Since I acquired a can of CAL and a can of Irish Stout with an LBK and ten 25 oz bottles for $10, I decided to make the components of a Black and Tan - and Josh was kind enough to help me figure out what might work.  I dislike beers like CAL so much that I sold off my CAL inventory (acquired with discounted LBKs last January).

To the Irish Stout I added a pound of pale LME and 4 oz of Carapils.  I used the Mr. Beer yeast.

To the CAL, I steeped 1/2 pound of Crystal 60L and 1/4 pound of Carapils, and added a pound of pale LME.  For this, I used Windsor yeast.  

A Black and Tan is black on top, tan on the bottom, which is caused by the black beer being LIGHTER.  Therefore, you want to ensure that the Black beer, in this case the stout, will end up with a lower FG than the tan, in this case the modified CAL.  Windsor won't attenuate as much as the Mr. Beer yeast, so I should end up a few points higher, and the stout should float.

I actually have stout already, but this can was dated in July 2015 so it made sense to brew it right away.

These will be ready around 1/26/16, I may try one (i.e. a bottle of each), but let the rest go another 2 weeks or so.

• Like 2

Ah OK thanks.

I understand the 2 layered beer idea and have enjoyed many poured that way, but I also enjoy the bottled premixed style.

So what I brewed was a combination in the same LBK.

Pilsner with 1 lb Briess Porter LME and 10 min boil of 0.5 Oz Fuggles and 0.5 oz EK Goldings added at flameout. Mr Beer yeast.

I am not sure it will taste the same but I expect it will be drinkable.

Continuing with the English hopping, since I had more hops left I also started an attempt to Anglicize the American Ale into English Pale Ale as follows:

American Ale  (36 IBU) with
Burton Union Yeast 1/2pkt (5g)
~8 oz pale DME
1/4 cup (1.4 oz) Wheat DME
1/2 cup( 2.9 oz) Sprklng Ambr DME
0.5 oz 15 min boil Fuggles adds 4? IBU
0.5oz EKG aroma at flameout

Again, I am not sure it will taste the same as Eng PA but I expect it will be drinkable and I will learn from both of these experiments.

I am interested in comments on expected result.