Mr.Beer Community
Davick

Spring water?

I went to buy two 4ltr jugs of water from the store, when i got home i saw that they were jugs of natural spring water. Is this ok to use for my next batch? Thanks :D

• Like 1

Spring water is fine. Im prerry sure a read that you dont want to use distilled water though. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong about the distilled water.

Ozarka spring water is all I've ever used and it works great.....!

I have only used store-bought spring water for all my brews, as my tap water tastes & smells like a swimming pool. They have all come out great. The company that supplies Kroger with their water supplies a large number of resellers, and you can find the water report online, no less. It's good enough to brew most any beer besides those finicky IPAs, only due to the way the hops work with certain minerals. The water will still make a drinkable IPA (I've done it!) but it might just not be ideal, that's all.

I only use publix brand spring water from wildwood springs.. and a particular wellhead code  because they sent me the complete mineral, chemical and etc lab analysis free! I used to use zephyrhills .

if the water tastes good , the beer should too. avoid tap water from municipalities that chlorinate. chlorine can contribute to off flavors in the beer.

distilled lacks any mineral content which isn't good for healthy yeast I think.. .

• Like 1

i've got a subscription to a brew magazine, and inside one of the subscriptions it had discussed that certain breweries in europe have created alot of their beer taste from the local water supply they're given, bcuz that's all they have to work with. i thought that was interesting to hear. and because of the popularity of their flavor, many breweries kept the water consistent

Use tap water UNLESS it doesn't taste good, spring water is a waste of money for you if your tap water tastes good.  If your tap water is high in chlorine (i.e. Florida), you can either filter it out or boil it ahead of time and let it sit a day or two.  If your tap water is high in Chloramine, you can use Campden tablets.  

Again - if it tastes good, you can use it.  Water chemistry doesn't really impact extract brewing unless it tastes bad.  

• Like 2

i dnt mind buying the purified spring water, i pay like .59 cents/gallon, for an lbk, thats under $2.00. i dnt go over boar on brand name,

I use tap water and treat it with Campden tablets.  I have used spring water for a batch and saw no difference from my tap water.  I am in a brew club with a lot of all grain brewers that use the same municipality water that I do and they have no issues.  My water smells like a swimming pool but after I treat with Campden and let the water sit for 5 minutes there is no smell at all.

Just make sure you get rid of the clorine or cloramine in your water.  Of course that is if your water taste good to start with.

• Like 1

I went to buy two 4ltr jugs of water from the store, when i got home i saw that they were jugs of natural spring water. Is this ok to use for my next batch? Thanks :D

I've used Natural Spring Water for everyone of my batches and each has been fine.  Definitely avoid distilled water.

Kevin

I've used spring water - Poland Springs because when we culture finicky microorganisms in the lab, it works best. However, for the past year I have been using charcoal filtered water from the tap, with excellent results.  

Actually you can use distilled water. But you are going to have to "build" your water by adding the minerals back into it that distilling took out. If you have a degree in chemistry or know what you're doing this is a very good way to make your water very much like the water from specific regions of the world.

My tap water tastes good and has no odor. So I have always used it and have never had any issues, flavor or otherwise.

Yeah I sometimes use distilled water in a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio to local water to reduce the mineral content in for the brew and it makes a much cleaner tasting lager for example.

The online water calculators work great, you can divide your mineral content down to get the desired level on the highest mineral, then use that for the ratio of distilled water.Then add back any other minerals that are now lacking to make the desired profile - based on suggested chemicals.

when I have no water access, I use powdered water, the instructions say, just add water...................................

Dang, I've been using distilled for my last few batches without "adding" anything back in.  1 batch was terrible, the other was ok.

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Or even, there's a whole huge section of the message boards over at homebrewtalk.com about water chemistry. Go as deep as you want - you can get in there and try to understand the why of the how, or you can just go in and find out what additions are best for RO/distilled for your IPA you are getting ready to brew and nothing else.

:)

Well I will admit I bascly bought it for the jugs for my future brews since my water doesn't get cold enough so I want to put it in the fridge befor hand. My tap water honestly taste amazing. So that's good to know I can use it.. would it not be ideal to use the spring water with Diablo ipa? Would it be better to use with the winter ale kit? Just need to make use of it since I'm not a huge fan of spring water alone since it taste stale to me for some reason ...

I made the Diablo with spring water once. It was fine. It might not be optimal for the style, but it will be OK.

maybe ill wait on the diablo for now and use the water on my winter ale kit.. Any flaws going to happen?

Again, you will ;be fine using it for the Diablo. Unless you are going to get reverse osmosis water and put the right minerals back, there's no reason not to use the spring water.

No flaws, at least just for using this water, should occur.

Just as long as it has some minerals in it and is NOT distilled. If it says what the mineral content is or if you can look it up, you can see what kind of beer it would be suited for.

That does not mean it will not work for any beer you make, but there may be more closeness to specific style by imitating the specific water in the brew.