Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

So I got four lbs of hops...

Polaris 20.8% alpha listed as an aroma hop

Mt. Hood 5.8% alpha also an aroma

Sorachi ace - listed as a dual

El dorado 11% also a dual

Lb of each. That's 64 oz, used a total of maybe 4 oz in a total of 6 gallons today.

Any suggestions on a recipe? Only ever heard of mt hood

• Like 1

Sorachi Ace is an interesting one. Floral & lemon-grassy. IDK what I'd ever use it in, other than maybe a saison.

El Dorado is tropical fruity-ness, like watermelon & pineapple. Sounds interesting to me, for use in an IPA or APA.

Polaris - never heard of it. From my LHBS' website: http://www.bullcityhomebrew.com/products.aspx?sku=BSG-POLP1Z&search=0

Let us know what you do & how it turns out!!!

Made two experimental batches two gallons each. Breiss golden Pilsen with the following hop schedule.

1st batch

1/2 oz sorachi ace @60

3/4 oz sorachi @ 20

1/2 oz sorachi @ 10

2nd batch

1/2 oz el dorado @ 60

1/4 oz Polaris @ 20

1/2 oz of both mt hood and el dorado @ 5 min

I'll let you know. Just give me two months

• Like 1

Sorachi Ace is a Japanese hop that was developed by Sapporo. It's one of the many hop varieties found in the Falconer's Flight blend. I really like using it in my IPAs in conjunction with other citrusy/fruity hops like Cascade or Citra,

El Dorado is good IPA hop, too. Very fruity and tropical. Similar to Citra.

Polaris is new to me as it was only released in 2012. But 18-23% AA? WOW! I've never seen a hop above 18%. It has a fairly high co-humulone content so it would be a very nice bittering hop for a very bitter IPA. Be careful though because it might be an astringent bitterness if the co-humulone is higher than 25%. This is probably why they recommend it as an aroma hop. I'm going to have to pick some of this up and do a single hop pale ale to get an idea as to how best to use it. At 20%, this is the new king of high AA hops, dethroning both Summit and Apollo. https://www.hopunion.com/german-polaris/

• Like 1