Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Caffrey

Howling Red Ale Review

Just a quick review of the Howling Red Ale recipe.  Really good brew -- basically what you would expect from the recipe -- just like an Oktoberfest but a little hoppier since you're adding the cascade hops.  Malty with a slight hint of red wine.  A really solid red ale.  Reminds me of Newcastle Werewolf.  Not much of a head compared to the last few brews I've done, but full-bodied and delicious.  Definitely came out darker than the Beer Chart SRM 14 advertised on MrBeer.com.  

Kevin

Howling Red Ale

• Like 2

This is one of my favorite recipes. My wife is quite fond of it as well. I alter it a bit by steeping 4 ounces of Carapils at 160-180 degrees for 30 mins and I also add 2/3 cup of "extra dark" brown sugar. The Carapils helps a little with mouth-feel and head-retention while the molasses in the brown sugar adds a little complexity to the flavor of the beer. The sugar also bumps up the ABV a tad. On December 22nd I'll have a batch that'll be ready to crack open after carb/conditioning for six weeks... just in time for Christmas! 

• Like 2

I've only finished 7 brews so far (two more are conditioning now), but of that limited sample size, the Howling Red Ale has been the best.

We just update the reviewing system for our recipes on our website today. Feel free to enter your reviews there, too! :)

• Like 2

Can I make one small suggestion to people making reviews in the recipe review area.  Can people put the name of the brew they made in the review.  I know the reviews got all mixed up in the past and sometimes I am never sure if I am reading the actual review of the recipe I am looking for or one that is misplaced.

• Like 1