Mr.Beer Community
KenEnnis

Having problem with leaking spigot

Place washer on the spigot with the beveled (narrower) edge facing the threads, then insert spigot into keg. Place the nut with the wide flat side against the inside keg wall and gently hand tighten.  Fill the keg with water then let the keg sit for a few minutes to test for leaks. 

If it still leaks, remove and examine the hole.  Is it round or oval?  Is it flat or is there an edge to part of it? 

Christmas is tomorrow.... 

• Like 1

would it hurt to put another rubber washer on the outside of the plastic keg? it seems you are trying to seal plastic against plastic..

17 minutes ago, KenEnnis said:

would it hurt to put another rubber washer on the outside of the plastic keg? it seems you are trying to seal plastic against plastic..

The washer goes on the outside of the keg,  so you're sealing the washer against plastic. 

That is exactly the problem.  That's it the dumbest thing I ever heard did...

I can say that, because when I started brewing in 2012, that is EXACTLY what I did.  I thought I had the email exchange with the Mr. Beer Brewmaster saved, but couldn't find it (I'm sure it gave her a laugh).  It was one of those DUH moments for me when I went back and re-read the directions.  

Doing the leak test, with water, should be done on EVERY batch for this exact reason.  

This will NOT be the first mistake you make.  I've been brewing for 3 1/2 years and I make them all the time.  RDWHAHB.  

• Like 2

Hello, I put my first kit all together waited to check for leaks and found none. I then proceeded to make my first batch and after a half hour on the counter the spigot started dripping from the top where it turns to shut off and on. is this normal or is there anything I can do?

No, that is not normal.  I would get a helper, and have them dry the area while you then put a piece of electrical tape over that seem and see if that stops it.

The spigot is 2 piece, and it's possible it's slightly apart, but no way to mess with it now.

When you do your next batch, make sure you put in a full 2 gallons of water and let it sit for 15 mins to check it.  I dry the spigot after filling, and then use a dry paper towel to look for leaks.

FYI - if in fact it keeps leaking - put it on a cookie sheet and stop worrying.  It may clog, it may not.  If it keeps dripping on Monday  Mr. Beer will help you figure out what's wrong and if you lose an LBK full of beer that usually replace it for free.

• Like 1

hey rick, the instructions say to put the washer inside the keg, maybe you need to address this issue with them, because when I finally read your post many months ago, I changed the washer position and never had any problems since

Thanks for the replies. tried the tape trick. it has slowed the dripping quite a bit but still leaking. hopefully it will clog and stop. funny it didn't leak when I filled it with

water to check for leaks. only started after approx. 30 mins from putting the top lid on. I did email support as well.

@rlbeaman, your support ticket should have been taken care of today. If not, give us a call at 1-800-852-4263 and we'll get your spigot replaced.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:39 AM, rlbeaman said:

Hello, I put my first kit all together waited to check for leaks and found none. I then proceeded to make my first batch and after a half hour on the counter the spigot started dripping from the top where it turns to shut off and on. is this normal or is there anything I can do?

That's where mine is leaking also.  A very small drip from both the to and bottom of the valve.  After about 24 hours, the paper towel I put under it in the cooler is completely saturated.

thanks to mr.beer. they are shipping out a new spigot yesterday. very fast response from them. the question I have still is how to replace it when its full of brew? is the leak going to destroy the brew that is brewing? it leaks pretty good I have it sitting in a roasting pan and have to remove about 1/4 inch of brew from the bottom of the pan daily. thinking I might have to order new starter brew after I get the replacement part and start over. any thoughts on how to save the brew already going?

Walt, open a support ticket with mr. brew. they will take care of it fast. I was impressed how fast they reply and try to help you out.

Rob

Did you not ask Mr. Beer these questions?

There is no way to change the spigot until the keg is empty.  Nothing is getting "destroyed" unless it all leaks out - and one would have thought Mr. Beer would have asked you that and if it was dripping that much shipped you a new refill...

I did once change the LBK when it was leaking. I poured all content out into another sterilized one.  But unless tightening will fix it (leaking around the washer), yes, you have to empty it.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:31 PM, HoppySmile! said:

hey rick, the instructions say to put the washer inside the keg, maybe you need to address this issue with them, because when I finally read your post many months ago, I changed the washer position and never had any problems since

I thought the same thing (washer on inside) but can't find instructions now that say that.

Maybe the old ones on paper said that a ling tie ago.

The DVD I have now says put spigot on outside of LBK with bevel facing LBK.  2014 Paper instructions (including LX fermenters) also say washer outside. Also 2012 online video says washer outside too and test for leaks. So not sure where that "inside" really comes from.

Tightening:

After tightening until the nut/washer engage the LBK (with spigot handle facing down) , I never need more than 1/2 turn to tighten it up enough and then it is right way up.

Improved Spigot:

If you are really unsatisfied with the spigot here is a suggestion, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=83421

Added seal:

I use an additional washer so I have one on either side of the LBK, one against nut and one against Spigot outside end. The O-ring style 5/8 in garden hose washers work for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

maybe I was reading the manual upside down?

Maybe YOU were upside down, Hoppy. None of our instructions say to put the washer on the inside.

• Like 5

I also had a leaky spigot on my first batch, but turned out I was just over tightening it. When I went back and gently hand-tightened the spigot, it fixed the leak. I'm about a week into fermenting my first batch now and there hasn't been any noticeable drip. Just putting this here in case someone else with this problem stumbles on this thread. It might save them a mess.

oh! I looked at the very first LBK, the one that came with the kit, and I put the seal on the inside, its still there, intact and sealed. however, I never take the spignot out I just thoroughly clean around it and flush it. however, after further examining the other 6 lbk's I have, they all have the seals on the outside. maybe, just maybe I might have been the only one to receive a misprint manual??? 

I am not saying you will get one, but you are asking for an infection by not taking the spigot off the LBK.

eek.gif

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, slym2none said:

I am not saying you will get one, but you are asking for an infection by not taking the spigot off the LBK.

eek.gif

I agree with Slym.  Why take a chance?  Unscrew it and clean it......

8 hours ago, slym2none said:

eek.gif

8 hours ago, K5WX said:

I agree with Slym.  Why take a chance?  Unscrew it and clean it......

They're right it just ain't worth loosing a batch to infection thru less than through cleaning and sanitizing 

but whats crazy is, ive never had any infection related to the lbk by not un screwing the spignot and cleaning, and when I say this, I by NO means recommend anyone else do this, i'm pretty good at sanitizing it in place, I really respect all of you folks that do what is recommended. honestly, i'm very thorough when it comes to cleaning b4 brewing.

Wow, when I first read the heard on this thread, I thought thing had just gotten into the TMI category l and didn't read it. I had no idea it was about the LBK hardware.

14 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

but whats crazy is, ive never had any infection related to the lbk by not un screwing the spignot and cleaning, and when I say this, I by NO means recommend anyone else do this, i'm pretty good at sanitizing it in place, I really respect all of you folks that do what is recommended. honestly, i'm very thorough when it comes to cleaning b4 brewing.

Those two statements are contradictory. Thorough cleaning would include taking the spigot off & cleaning it, as well as where the spigot contacts the LBK, which no matter how thorough you think you are, is not getting cleaned as well as it could (please notice the 'o' on that word).

I guess all I can say is, I hope your luck holds out.

I've been  brewing for over 3 years now never used a carboy till I started making wine. Unless your brewing for competition they are just not necessary and yea verily given to breaking at the least little excuse.

OK, well, if the carboy has a removable spigot (!!!) then my point stands. Replace the word "LBK" with "carboy" and there you go.

:)

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 11:10 PM, HoppySmile! said:

oh! I looked at the very first LBK, the one that came with the kit, and I put the seal on the inside, its still there, intact and sealed. however, I never take the spignot out I just thoroughly clean around it and flush it. however, after further examining the other 6 lbk's I have, they all have the seals on the outside. maybe, just maybe I might have been the only one to receive a misprint manual??? 

Probably does not leak because of all the accumulated junk improving the seal - lol.

If you take it out and clean it will probably leak then (Murphy's law) 

• Like 1

This is the worst quality product I’ve every come across. You cheap ass keg leaked everywhere despite following directions exactly. Where’s  your quality control? I know it’s not in that rubber seal or the valve! I’ll have fun cleaning a sticky ass mess tonight. Thanks!  

10 minutes ago, Johnny5150 said:

This is the worst quality product I’ve every come across. You cheap ass keg leaked everywhere despite following directions exactly. Where’s  your quality control? I know it’s not in that rubber seal or the valve! I’ll have fun cleaning a sticky ass mess tonight. Thanks!  

Seems a bit harsh. I have two and never had a problem. Mr B customer service is excellent, they will be able to help you. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Johnny5150 said:

I like how you joined an hour ago, took the time to choose a nice profile pic, then start your post about a poor product. 

Ive had 6 lbks and one 6 gallon fermenter from Mr Beer, all were flawless. 

• Like 5

One thing to be aware of is over tightening. I did that once and broke the spigot. Mr. Beer was kind enough, of course, to replace it free of charge. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

I like how you joined an hour ago, took the time to choose a nice profile pic, then start your post about a poor product. 

Ive had 6 lbks and one 6 gallon fermenter from Mr Beer, all were flawless. 

I mean, not to be crass, but I'm co-signing this like a mofo!

• Like 1

this guy reminds me of john McEnroe.   scene: wimbeldon.  mcenroe serves.. net.  mcenroe examines his racket like something is seriously wrong. he serves again... fault. he re-examines racket, and throws it to the ground stomping on it. 'STUPID #(*&$#($*& RACKET! STUPID BLOODY )@(#&$)($&@)& RACKET! IT'S DEFECTIVE! I HATE THIS CHEAP THING!!!'...

always easier to blame the equipment isnt it?  i think we've all had our moments like this in all honesty. so.. deep breath. calm the hell down. write a tactful note to mr beer customer support and sit back and wait for them to assist you. more than likely you will be taken care of. they are really good ppl who take their customers seriously.

• Like 3

I believe I recall from the instructions or if not there, many places here on the forum, it calls for filling your LBK with water and doing a leak test. 

That is just common sense.  Don't blame the equipment for a mistake with regard to forward thinking.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

I believe I recall from the instructions or if not there, many places here on the forum, it calls for filling your LBK with water and doing a leak test. 

That is just common sense.  Don't blame the equipment for a mistake with regard to forward thinking.

I learned this the hard way early on. I certainly didn't blast Mr. Beer and put the blame on myself. It was my second batch and I was still learning. It did, however, turn out that the spigot hole in the LBK was not cut correctly and the leak was unavoidable. The gracious and helpful Mr. Beer customer service had no issues with sending me a replacement, for free. 

• Like 1

One LBK, the hole had some flashing from the mold process. I removed the flashing with very fine grit sandpaper and no more leaking.....simple.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Johnny5150 said:

Sorry to hear that! We do make every effort at quality control, but unfortunately every now and then a defective unit gets out. If you could please DM me your shipping information, I'll be happy to replace the fermenter and the beer. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, doc280 said:

One LBK, the hole had some flashing from the mold process. I removed the flashing with very fine grit sandpaper and no more leaking.....simple.

Like how fine? You remember what the grit number was?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, epete28 said:

Like how fine? You remember what the grit number was?

I used 1500, had some of it laying around.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2017 at 7:08 PM, Johnny5150 said:

Mr Beer's customer service is very high quality! Every product can be defective now and again. It's the great customer service that brings you back. I had the issue of 2 LBK's leaking during the testing phase. That's 2 out of 8. Mr Beer promptly replaced them for me no charge. Anything defective or poor quality, contact customer service and they will make it right. We are all here to help each other not slam the product!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DEFbrewer said:

Mr Beer's customer service is very high quality! Every product can be defective now and again. It's the great customer service that brings you back. I had the issue of 2 LBK's leaking during the testing phase. That's 2 out of 8. Mr Beer promptly replaced them for me no charge. Anything defective or poor quality, contact customer service and they will make it right. We are all here to help each other not slam the product!

Agreed, Mr B customer service is great.

However, I will pick on the 3 LBKs I just got just a little. At the spigot, the 2 sides were unevenly joined and there were varying degrees of lip or unevenness inside and outside on all of them - even a drill burr on one - enough so I felt leakage was likely. So I smoothed them out with a craft knife.

It is fair to note - I did not leak test them I went just by appearance and they might not have leaked. So I cannot say they were functionally defective.

If they leak now, I can blame myself as I modified them so do not expect any replacements.  I have done this in the past also and pretty much no leaks.

The hole for the spigot is drilled out. No problem with that, but they need the drill to make a flat area on the outside around the hole too. No big deal, just change the tool a bit. so it skims off the uneven lip then the sealing washer will fit beautifully. No other change in production process.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Agreed, Mr B customer service is great.

However, I will pick on the 3 LBKs I just got just a little. At the spigot, the 2 sides were unevenly joined and there were varying degrees of lip or unevenness inside and outside on all of them - even a drill burr on one - enough so I felt leakage was likely. So I smoothed them out with a craft knife.

It is fair to note - I did not leak test them I went just by appearance and they might not have leaked. So I cannot say they were functionally defective.

If they leak now, I can blame myself as I modified them so do not expect any replacements.  I have done this in the past also and pretty much no leaks.

The hole for the spigot is drilled out. No problem with that, but they need the drill to make a flat area on the outside around the hole too. No big deal, just change the tool a bit. so it skims off the uneven lip then the sealing washer will fit beautifully. No other change in production process.

Yes , Just a small change in production could result in fewer customer service requests for replacements. Yes I do work in quality control in a machine shop.

Here is a pick of my LBK after the fix...IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.76c729768e55dbb880e9ee0c3ba649ce.JPG

• Like 1

IMG_1691.thumb.JPG.433453d889a2a76feeda30036a26b02c.JPGI used a drill and grinding stone with a steady hand to achieve this.  No leaks!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DEFbrewer said:

IMG_1691.thumb.JPG.433453d889a2a76feeda30036a26b02c.JPGI used a drill and grinding stone with a steady hand to achieve this.  No leaks!

Myself and Matt Kenseth both decided that it's DeWalt or nothing! Good choice!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DEFbrewer said:

Yes , Just a small change in production could result in fewer customer service requests for replacements. Yes I do work in quality control in a machine shop.

Here is a pick of my LBK after the fix...IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.76c729768e55dbb880e9ee0c3ba649ce.JPG

I have the same line on o e of mine... I have thought about smoothing it out, but it doesn't leak so I'll smooth it out a bit later.

• Like 1

Customer Service issues for bad kegs can probably be counted on 2 hands in a year...

I had a few a few years back.  Mr. Beer contracts out the work to multiple vendors, and had an issue with one.  I was able to modify all but 2, and they shipped me new ones.

• Like 2

Of the 3 that I just got, I fixed 2 so they do not leak but can't get the other fixed and Mr. B's WONDERFUL :D customer service is sending me a replacement.

I think we may see some design changes.

• Like 2

I have the spigots that turn for On or Off. It looks like MB is back to the kind that you have to hold open. Why did they do that? 

17 minutes ago, Bassman said:

I have the spigots that turn for On or Off. It looks like MB is back to the kind that you have to hold open. Why did they do that? 

I'm not following, my LBK is new, like real new and the spigot is not something you have to hold open.  You sure you don't have an old old one, or maybe aren't quite following that the new ones flip up to the vertical position to stay open?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

I'm not following, my LBK is new, like real new and the spigot is not something you have to hold open.  You sure you don't have an old old one, or maybe aren't quite following that the new ones flip up to the vertical position to stay open?

I was mistaken, I thought that you had to hold it open. Thanks for the clarification. 

3 hours ago, Bassman said:

My comment about the flip spigot is, "I can't use my bottling wand with it 😒". I was a little too rough with my gate valve spigot and cracked the handle while I was disassembling it. 😞. Wanted to replace it, but MeBeer has gone back to the old style.

9 minutes ago, Bassman said:

I was mistaken, I thought that you had to hold it open. Thanks for the clarification. 

I'm not quite sure which one is newer, but I have 2 different kinds as well.

There's one that is like a swing type that stays at whatever flow speed want..... and the 'coffee carafe' type that I have to hold open, only as I don't have a bottle filling wand and leaving it open will flow too fast and make too many bubbles.

They 'swing' type seems like it may be better as it is notched so you can use tubing if you want.

There are at least 3 types of Mr. Beer spigots.

1) White, you have to hold it open.  - This is OLD.

2) White, it swivels open and closed.

3) Black, it swivels open and closed.  This is the newest.

I don't know of any "notched" spigots.  My white spigots fit the bottling wand INSIDE, or a piece of hose over the outside and over the bottling wand.

6 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Ah.  That would be #4 on the list that I didn't list...

Seems like a smart choice, since people like using a bottling wand (with tubing that can attach properly to the spigot).

I have a spigot like that on the 2.5 gallon slimline that I use for batch priming.  Wand fits IN the spigot.  Depends on the diameter of the wand, and the nozzle of course.

Oh, that never happens...   ;)

"Honey, why is there beer in my spice drawer?"

"Because when it ran down the cabinets onto the floor I didn't know it got into the drawer..."

• Like 3

The new black carafe ones  (like I got on my latest LBKs) will stay open at full vertical position but not stay partially open like the old white ones that rotated.

This is OK if you are using a bottling wand to bottle with - where the wand controls the flow.

Personally I bottled mine in the sink direct from the old style LBK spigot that had a nozzle on it. With these, I will have to cut a bit of bottling wand to stick up into the spigot to make a nozzle so the beer does not go all over as I still want to bottle in the sink. I don't want to bottle over the floor even with a spill catching basin. But on the positive side they do come apart to clean easier.

On the negative side, the spigots are smaller diameter (5/8 hole)  so the nuts inside the L:BK are smaller and tougher to tighten by hand. Also the extra washers I had do not fit.

I may be forced to drill the holes out to 3/4 inch hole, to take the spare  white spigots I have - lol.

And if that does not work, I can only find ones that fit 1 inch holes online - not the smaller ones

spigots20171206_150824.jpg

• Like 1

Just so you guys know, we have switched to a new manufacturer for our kegs and these issues should be solved in the coming year as the new kegs are released.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Just so you guys know, we have switched to a new manufacturer for our kegs and these issues should be solved in the coming year as the new kegs are released.

Thanks Josh!

What spigots will be available, and  mounting hole size?

1 minute ago, Nickfixit said:

Thanks Josh!

What spigots will be available, and  mounting hole size?

We will be using the current spigots we are using now, but the kegs will be more custom fit for them. Also, there are plans to have the molding seam go AROUND the spigot hole instead of through it, but I cannot confirm at this time if the design has been adapted yet. I will try to have more info for you as soon as I can.

• Like 2

If you can, please get them so they are a little less brown and the level markings are very visible looking through the container. The last two brews using the new big lid type LBK,  I overfilled by 1/2 inch because I could not see the liquid or the line.

Also would be nice to make the flat around the spigot larger, so that they can be drilled out for larger spigot if desired. No extra cost once the mold is made.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cammanron said:

If that wand ever comes out though....

I slid my bottling wand inside the new black carafe spigot while I was sanitizing. I wanted to know if I would be in for a bigger mess than I EVER want to clean up. Glad I tried it out. 

3 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

So will you be taking exchanges free of charge? All 3 of my kegs have the seam right down the middle and every time I tighten the nut, it marks up the rubber gasket. I'm worried that it will get all damaged sooner rather than later.

5 minutes ago, Cammanron said:

So will you be taking exchanges free of charge? All 3 of my kegs have the seam right down the middle and every time I tighten the nut, it marks up the rubber gasket. I'm worried that it will get all damaged sooner rather than later.

Or atleast some new gaskets...

Just to clarify, the gasket goes on the OUTSIDE, not the inside.  The beveled edge goes IN, against the LBK.  You should be finger tightening the nut, not very tight, then water testing it.  If the gasket gets a mark from the outside seam, it will go away once removed.

• Like 1

Just to clarify spigot 4 or the new spigot, if you press down, instead of up, it works like a deadman switch and cuts the flow if you let go of it.

I bottle directly from the LBK to 740ml bottle, in the sink and that being said, I like the fill end of spigot 3 and the switch end spigot 4. Giving a choice between 3 and 4, I would take spigot 4.

55 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Just to clarify, the gasket goes on the OUTSIDE, not the inside.  The beveled edge goes IN, against the LBK.  You should be finger tightening the nut, not very tight, then water testing it.  If the gasket gets a mark from the outside seam, it will go away once removed.

Yes.... Because of the seam that is not even, I have to tighten quite tight in order for it not to leak... All of the barrels

On 12/7/2017 at 6:52 AM, Cammanron said:

Yes.... Because of the seam that is not even, I have to tighten quite tight in order for it not to leak... All of the barrels

Email our customer service department at customerservice@mrbeer.com and we will see if we can send some replacements out to you. Be sure to include your full name and shipping address.

• Like 3