Mr.Beer Community
MUNZ

Spicket issue with 2 different 2 gallon plastic fermenter

Greetings, 

Recently received 2 mr beer kits (2 gallon) for Christmas.  I tried the first one and it leaked by spicket even after multiple attempts to adjust the tightness.  I thought it may have been a bad fermenter so I opened the second fermenter and tried it with that one and had the same results.  I did not start any brewing, just trying to make fermenter leak free.  Any suggestions? I already am sending one fermenter back as I didn't need 2, just happened to get 2 for holidays.  Sometimes it looks like the drops form on the bottom of the fermenter, but I think it's just where the water is building up from spicket (hopefully).  Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated, I was real excited to try to make my own easy home brew and am quite disappointed at this point, I would rather make it work then return it.

Thanks.

Check the seam on the outside of the LBK around the spigot. Some have had issues with the seam not being smooth and causing leaks. Use a fine grade sand paper and lightly sand the area and this should fix the problem. Also hang on to that second LBK a little longer. A lot of us have ended up buying another one after our first couple of batches to help build the pipeline. Welcome to homebrewing!

First, it's a spigot :D

Examine both LBKs.  There have been some issues where the molded plastic is not joined flat.  There have been some issues where the hole is not round, but is oval, and some issues where the hole is fine, but they drilled it when it was too hot and there is an inner or outer edge to it (ask me how I know all this...).  If any of these are the case, you need to decide if you feel comfortable trying to fix them, or just want Mr. Beer to handle the issue for you.  See info below on tightening before you try any remedies.

You put the washer on with the raised side FACING THE LBK, so the flat side is against the spigot.  Stick it in the hole, put the nut on, and tighten it FINGER TIGHT and end with the spigot at 3:00 and 9:00 (handle is at 9:00).  Then, hold the nut and give 1/4 more turn.  Do NOT whale on it, it isn't a "how tight can I make it situation".  Then fill it with at least 2 gallons of water, as the weight of the water impacts leaking.

On a few of mine, the hole was not round.  I took a large round file and gently rounded it, then cleaned the edge up.  I had 1 where the mold left a pronounced edge and it wasn't usable or fixable.  If there is a tiny edge on the outside, some have gently sanded it flat.  I had several that had issues and was able to fix all but 1.

I found  couple of things that help.

• First check you did assemble and install the spigot properly, washer inside the LBK< tapered side to the keg/flat side to the nut. For tightness, I turn it so that it starts to engage about 1/2 turn from tight with the spigot handle down then give it 1/2 turn to rotate it in proper alignment with handle at top.
  • Second check the area around the spigot hole on the fermenter for ridges where  there may be a join line due to misalignment of the 2 halves of the container the keg was made in. Use a craft knife or other sharp thing to carefully level these off so the surface around the hole is smooth for where the washers will contact.
  • Third  go to home improvement or garden store and get hose washers for 5/8in hose. The ones I use are like black "O" rings. Use one of those on the OUTSIDE between keg and spigot to increase the sealing. (Goes on spigot before inserting into keg)

Using these steps, I have only had 1 leak. and that was when I did not follow my own instructions - lol.

• Fourth - check where the leak is coming from  and contact Mr B Customer Service. They are usually very supportive.

2 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I found  couple of things that help.

• First check you did assemble and install the spigot properly, washer inside the LBK< tapered side to the keg/flat side to the nut. For tightness, I turn it so that it starts to engage about 1/2 turn from tight with the spigot handle down then give it 1/2 turn to rotate it in proper alignment with handle at top.
  • Second check the area around the spigot hole on the fermenter for ridges where  there may be a join line due to misalignment of the 2 halves of the container the keg was made in. Use a craft knife or other sharp thing to carefully level these off so the surface around the hole is smooth for where the washers will contact.
  • Third  go to home improvement or garden store and get hose washers for 5/8in hose. The ones I use are like black "O" rings. Use one of those on the OUTSIDE between keg and spigot to increase the sealing. (Goes on spigot before inserting into keg)

Using these steps, I have only had 1 leak. and that was when I did not follow my own instructions - lol.

• Fourth - check where the leak is coming from  and contact Mr B Customer Service. They are usually very supportive.

Nick - the washer goes on the OUTSIDE, not the inside.

Appreciate the fast responses guys, gets me excited to try it again.

14 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Nick - the washer goes on the OUTSIDE, not the inside.

Yes - Thank you - you are correct.  However it has leaked for me also when used outside one time and inside also without O ring in either case.

It is when I use the 2 washers I place them with O ring outside and Taper washer inside and I get no leaks that way.  If using 2 I doubt it matters which way they go (inside or outside) . But putting flat side of tapered washer to keg WILL most likely leak.

I edited the post.

Thanks

I will almost bet its the seam problem. Two out my three I recently received I had to smoth the seams with sand paper. I also had a plastic notch on the nut end for the spigot that I needed to smooth out too.

Good luck! And welcome. Everyone here is very helpful and insightful.

After examining the hole it looks and feels like the area they sealed the two sides together under the spigot is defiantly not even with one another.  Any recommendation on a sand paper to use? I think I'll try the sanding with washers as well.

Just don't make it weak from being too thin when you sand it.  If you use coarse sandpaper it will level it off fast but give you grooves from the sand scratches that the liquid may seep out along. If you can sand in rotary motion around the hole too, any scratches will not go from the hole to edge of washer so will be less likely to leak out.

I have been successful using a box cutter in a manner that scrapes the surface of the higher plastic parallel to the surface using the straight sharp edge of the cutter. This gives a fairly smooth surface on the plastic.

If the issue can't be resolved using the methods mentioned in this thread, send us a picture of the damage or leak (customerservice@mrbeer.com) and we'll see about getting you a replacement.

• Like 1

Tip - after filling the LBK with 2 or so gallons of water, take a paper towel and dry around the spigot and the area directly under the spigot where the bottom of the keg slopes up.  Wait about 15 mins.  Now go back and check for leaks.