Mr.Beer Community
KCullison86

Purified Water VS Tap Water

Since I'm getting ready to brew my first batch of beer, is it better to use purified water then tap water for brewing beer? Figured I would ask now so I can be ready for when its to start brewing.

I usually brew 2 batches at a time,and my local grocery store has a filling station to fill up your water jugs.It's supposed to be filtered water,I guess,but for 35 cents a gallon,I fill up 5 gallon jugs.Put them in the fridge until brew day,and have had good results,for the most part.My tap water is "City Water" which is heavily chlorinated,so I always go with the bottle fill-up route.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KCullison86 said:

Since I'm getting ready to brew my first batch of beer, is it better to use purified water then tap water for brewing beer? Figured I would ask now so I can be ready for when its to start brewing.

Purified or filtered?? According to Mr. Beer tap water should be fine unless you know if there is to much chlorine. I use filtered tap water, some here use store bought bottled water, some others use straight tap water. As long as you don't use distilled water you should be fine. 

• Like 3

For the most part if your water makes good coffee it'll make good beer. I been using tap water since December 2012. Check with your water company about what it uses as a disinfectant, somethings require other chemicals to remove..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like coffee. One might say I can't function until I've consumed two cups. Two very large cups. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, slym2none said:

If you mean what I think you mean...

...ewwwwwww.

Of coffee you sicko. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slym2none said:

I thought you meant a different "function".

Two minds in the gutter makes for a hostile work environment... 

• Like 2

Trying to eliminate competition in the gutter..... My mind has been there for so long I own rights. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the post, about to start my first batch as well and wondering if tap water will work.  I have a private well, run a filter.  The water makes decent coffee, but I have been contemplating if the softened water or the water that bypasses the softener will work better.  I think I will try a batch both ways, let you guys know which seems more successful.

Yea, welcome to the forum and good luck with your brews. Don't mind Slym and I, were the class clowns with bad case of ADHD. 

• Like 2

I've never had an issue with using tap water (especially when making coffee) and I thought I'd ask. I didn't know if it made much of a difference between Purified Bottled Water and Tap.

Tap water here also. Just fine. But if you are concerned get an analysis from your local water company and then compare it with brewing water from all over so you can see what style yours is best for. Then just brew it anyway lol.

If really concerned you can add minerals and/or dilute with distilled water to get a result more like the water from the desired style's original place. There are water calculators on-line to help you figure what chemicals to add.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

There is a drop down menu for water profile in this one. You load the profile you want and as you add minerals the errors change until you get it good enough.

Welcome to the group.

For what it's worth, I've used Ozarka Spring water since my first brew.  I've done 8 batches so far with it.  You can look at their water analysis if you're curious about what's in it.

I figured that I would be consistent with the water I use as I'm trying to learn how different beers develop different tastes.  Plus, I like to tell my friends that my brews are more "natural" that some other beers since I'm not using city water that is chlorinated and has added fluoride and whatever else people flush down the drain upstream of us.  Mr. Beer says their extracts are GMO-free and free of additives and preservatives so I want to keep everything else as natural as possible.  Just my two cents worth.

Lets do this one step at a time. I would recommend to get the brewing procedure down first then step up to light modifications w/Hops, LME/DEM's, steeping grains and so forth. Water modification such as adding and removing chemicals is an advanced  area that should not be preformed when trying to learn to brew(IMHO). With that being said you can help your beer by removing chlorimine by adding a 1/4 tab prior to brewing with tap water.

Does your tap water taste OK? If so, it will make good beer.

Does your tap water taste like crap? If so, it won't make good beer.

It's as simple as that.

• Like 4

For my LBK batches I buy 1 gal. of filtered drinking water (88 cents), refrigerate it and put it in the keg first. I then pour in the wort and top it off with tap water.

• Like 2

I'm lucky, I live in "wide spot in the road" Ga.. We get our water from an artesian spring, the only thing local water adds is chlorine. (Boils out quick)

I have used tap water, filtered tap water and spring water all with success. Basically if the water tastes fine, so wlil the beer (unless you screw up somewhere else in the brewing process). Distilled water is not recommended. To me distilled water tastes "flat" anyway - missing too many minerals.

So I tried my first kit (Apple Brown Beery) using city tap water and it soured. I may have jumped the gun and instead of brewing another kit, I am trying my hand at an all grain brew. This time I used water from a well. (I’m getting ready to bottle this week). 

My biggest question is what is the best water to use???  I’ve read thru the forums and even more online and I’m still confused!!!

Our water is like liquid rock it is so hard, so we have an RO/DI unit for our aquarium water.  I just run it through the RO, takes out most everything, leaves soft water and so far seems to be good for brewing.  No difference with what you get out of those machines in the store except I know when my filters were last changed and exactly what the hardness of the water is.  My total investment was maybe a hundred bucks and about 30-60 bucks a year in filters.

• Like 1

Water did not turn your beer sour.  

If the water tastes good, it is fine for Mr. Beer.

• Like 1

Is your ABB "sour" or is it tart?  If you were looking for a sweeter result, this one's not it as it's a tart product.  I like it that way, but my wife not so much.  So if she wants one I put about 1/4 cup of apple juice in her glass before pouring the ABB.  That cuts the tartness quite a bit.

I use 1 gallon jugs of spring water from the grocery store.  When it comes to tap water, its not the source water that concerns me as it has to meet certain standards.  Its all the piping from the source to my tap.  Who knows whats in them.  Bottled water is cheap insurance of a good water.

Put the water jugs in the fridge, if I forget to fridge them, 90 minutes in the freezer does the trick.

In Palmer's book, he suggests using distilled water as he says that the LME has minerals from process of making the concentrate...

4 hours ago, Cammanron said:

In Palmer's book, he suggests using distilled water as he says that the LME has minerals from process of making the concentrate...

I kind of get what people say about not using distilled water, but my RO water isn't much different than distilled, and I make good tasting beer.  So really, I am not quite following the tap or spring water only mantra.  All I know for sure is if I use my tap water, you'd need a chisel to break off pieces of the beer after it all solidified from it's liquid rock state.

5 hours ago, Cammanron said:

This is true. Our extracts also have minerals added, but I still never recommend using distilled water unless you are building a water profile.

15 minutes ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

I kind of get what people say about not using distilled water, but my RO water isn't much different than distilled, and I make good tasting beer.  So really, I am not quite following the tap or spring water only mantra.  All I know for sure is if I use my tap water, you'd need a chisel to break off pieces of the beer after it all solidified from it's liquid rock state.

RO water loses some chemicals and salts during the process, but many beneficial minerals still remain in the water.

• Like 3

The beer books say - if you are using extract and your water tastes good to you   - use it.

However if you are making a different style than the HME was intended for and the water of the target style location is much harder for instance, than the HME would suggest, I would think you might get some flavor differences from adding minerals.

Or you can also add distilled to reduce the mineral taste.

I did put some gypsum in my Irish red, but only because Dublin water is very hard and this was made from CAL which I assumed had a low to middling mineral level, and my home water is middling. I did not add any with the one I made from Can Blonde. I have no idea what Canadian water is like.

This gives a summary of Ca, Na and MG for various places around North America and also in a range of bottled waters (might be handy :-))

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1525-1497.2001.04189.x/full

• Like 3

Would water filtered with a Pur filter be okay? That is what i use for my coffee and it comes out good

Refer back to my post.  "If the water tastes good, it is fine for Mr. Beer."

On 12/29/2015 at 8:32 PM, Jim Johnson said:

For the most part if your water makes good coffee it'll make good beer. I been using tap water since December 2012. Check with your water company about what it uses as a disinfectant, somethings require other chemicals to remove..

My tap water makes my coffee taste weird. I bought a Pur water filter to use for my coffee. When I did my beer I just bought some gallon jugs of spring water. They are easier to put in  my fridge ten trying to find pitchers to put filtered water in to chill.

53 minutes ago, RickC1970 said:

My tap water makes my coffee taste weird. I bought a Pur water filter to use for my coffee. When I did my beer I just bought some gallon jugs of spring water. They are easier to put in  my fridge ten trying to find pitchers to put filtered water in to chill.

Ours, too.  Of course, what some think is 'good' coffee others might think otherwise.  When I started brewing with MRB a friend of mine who has been brewing for a long time told me to use bottled spring water, if possible, and not distilled water.  Seems to make sense.  Our well water isn't probably the best to use and I haven't yet (except for sanitizer).

Years ago, the city I live in ran a test of our water. At the same time, several different bottled waters were also tested. The results were that our city water was much cleaner than any of the bottled waters. Less impurities, chemicals, etc. I'm not sure how much I believe this study, however, I'm not sure how much I believe the labels on bottled water either. So being totally confused about the whole thing, I made my first batch with bottled water and my second with our tap water. It makes good coffee and tastes really good to drink. I wasn't really worried about the taste as much as not knowing if there was anything in the tap water that might effect the beer. So, I figured the best way to find out was to give both a try. Will know the results in a month or so.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Don H said:

Years ago, the city I live in ran a test of our water. At the same time, several different bottled waters were also tested. The results were that our city water was much cleaner than any of the bottled waters. Less impurities, chemicals, etc. I'm not sure how much I believe this study, however, I'm not sure how much I believe the labels on bottled water either. So being totally confused about the whole thing, I made my first batch with bottled water and my second with our tap water. It makes good coffee and tastes really good to drink. I wasn't really worried about the taste as much as not knowing if there was anything in the tap water that might effect the beer. So, I figured the best way to find out was to give both a try. Will know the results in a month or so.

Was it two different beers or were both brews the same recipe?

27 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Was it two different beers or were both brews the same recipe?

I used bottled water for American Light and tap water for Octoberfest

• Like 1