Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DeanoG

Weissbier, Booster Use

Howdy,

Thanks to all of the loyal and helpful users of the community.  I have my first batch now fermenting (Canadian Blonde) but have a question about booster use.

I ordered a standard refill of Weissbier that comes with the standard booster (not LME) and have refills already (from a local K-Mart that carriers Mr. Beer refills) of Classic American Light and American Lager.  After reading many opinions about booster use in general, I was looking for advice on which extracts the non-LME booster may be good to use on.

Also, is the booster advisable for use in the Weissbier extract?

Thanks for advice!

Deano

I saved my booster for cider! If you are considering trying a cider out, I'd suggest just saving for that ? although some seem to add half a booster or so to some of the lighter recipes.

i'm a constant booster abuser, I can't seem to get enuf of the stuff! when I get below 5 packs, I order 10, that's no joke! LOL! I use a minimal one per 2 gallons, and up to 5 or 6 in 5 gallon recipes. one way to try the weissbier to know for sure, is to brew without, then brew a weissbier with a booster. but that can add up money wise sometimes. in my honest opinion, surely one booster can't hurt, especially if it comes with the HME.

booster will affect Weissbier like it affects all other HMEs.  It adds ABV and some 'mouth feel'.  Been done a lot, YMMV...  if you want to 'dress up' your Wheat beer, look under the recipes on the main site, search under View All - then scroll down to where on the left you'll find a Brewing Extract filter... select the Bavarian Weissbier and you'll see 8 different recipes that use that extract as a base... you can also find some in the archives...  

My experience with booster has been less than positive:  used it twice and was underwhelmed both times.  I'd much rather use LME or DME to add ABV and mouthfeel/body.  Spend the (minimal) extra money on Golden LME/DME for your Weissbeir and in my opinion you'll be happier with the results.

• Like 1

I  would try it and see how you like it. Both the wheat and CAL are lighter tasting & I think may benefit from the booster more.

You may like it better if you had added malt but you probably will like it better with booster than without if you do not add malt.

Next time

14 hours ago, MichaelL said:

My experience with booster has been less than positive:  used it twice and was underwhelmed both times.  I'd much rather use LME or DME to add ABV and mouthfeel/body.  Spend the (minimal) extra money on Golden LME/DME for your Weissbeir and in my opinion you'll be happier with the results.

I did a batch of Weissbeir with some Breiss Wheat DME, hallertau hops, orange peel and coriander seed that turned out quite tasty. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scouterbill said:

I did a batch of Weissbeir with some Breiss Wheat DME, hallertau hops, orange peel and coriander seed that turned out quite tasty.

That sounds awesome.  I'll have to keep that one handy...

5 hours ago, scouterbill said:

I'd like that, too.  If you have a minute, let me know if you add the orange peel and coriander seed at the end of the boil.  Is the orange peel the orange zest/grated orange part of the peel?

2 hours ago, K5WX said:

I'd like that, too.  If you have a minute, let me know if you add the orange peel and coriander seed at the end of the boil.  Is the orange peel the orange zest/grated orange part of the peel?

Add the coriander seed (no more than 1 oz. freshly crushed) at the end of boil. On day 5 of fermentation, peel the flesh (be careful to not get any pith) of a large Valencia orange and place it in a container (bowl, cup, etc) with just enough vodka to cover the peel. Let that sit for 2 days and then put the orange peel (with the vodka) into the fermenter for the remainder of fermentation. Bottle, condition, enjoy, repeat as often as needed! ;)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, scouterbill said:

Add the coriander seed (no more than 1 oz. freshly crushed) at the end of boil. On day 5 of fermentation, peel the flesh (be careful to not get any pith) of a large Valencia orange and place it in a container (bowl, cup, etc) with just enough vodka to cover the peel. Let that sit for 2 days and then put the orange peel (with the vodka) into the fermenter for the remainder of fermentation. Bottle, condition, enjoy, repeat as often as needed! ;)

THANKS!  I'll follow those instructions exactly!   I owe you one.....