Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DeanoG

Advice From a New Brewer - First Batch Fermenting!!!

Just a note of thanks to all the great advice on getting started in this new, and tasty, hobby.

My first batch, Canadian Blonde, was put in the LBK just over 2 days ago after a thorough sanitizing and to the letter instructions and advice.  It's fermenting in an area fortunately at a constant 65 degrees and I've already seen the yeast hard at work.  Upon sage advice, I did not add booster or anything else to this first batch to get a "baseline" of the beer for future recipes.

My advice to new brewers (which has been said over and over again):

• Read about brewing on the forum well in advance of making your first batch.  RickBeer's signature links are terrific.  I'm afraid I would have been disappointed if I would have fermented and conditioned the amount of time the instructions said, if I would have been more casual with sanitizing, etc.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions - I have and I'm confident that my beer will be better off for it.
  • Mr. Beer staff is a great resource when ordering. - I placed an order and talked to Josh and, as a brewer himself, gave me insight on the various extracts and some useful suggestions.
  • Give back to the community - OK, so you've learned a lot from these expert home brewers. When you can help others out by sharing your experiences, answering a question or posting a recipe, you (and I) should do it. The community exists and thrives only as long as members contribute.

Thanks to all that have helped me along the way, directly or indirectly.  I'm counting down the days to bottling, conditioning and trying out my first home brew beer!

Deano

• Like 9

Welcome to the community.  We were all once first time Brewers. Enjoy this hobby, no, addiction.  Just remember you'll have some failures but you also have a lot of successes. Use the questionable batches as a learning experience.

• Like 3

I am brewing my first batch myself and have found the information that I have found here to be very helpful.

thanks Guys.

• Like 2

I noticed in one of posts that they talked about adding sugar at the beginning of the bottling process.  I am near that point. I bought a hydrometer but it may be too late to use on this batch. any clarification about the use of sugars would be helpful.

Ken:

If you read the directions from Mr. Beer, it explains that you need to add sugar to your bottles and then add the beer from the fermenter.  The sugar is then eaten by the yeast and creates carbonation.

Your kit may have come with carbonation drops, which are merely solid sugar.  In your instructions, you will find the amount of sugar that your bottles need - it depends on size.  Add the sugar or carb drops, add the beer, then put on the cap and store around 70 or higher for 4 or more weeks.