Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

Kegging Questions

My buddy bought 2 brand new 5 gal corny kegs... Very excited. 

Anything I need to know before we start this new chapter in brewing?  Weve watched all you tube videos, Im looking for more of a silly little things a person wouldnt think of on their first go round.

even if force carbing you'll have trub, utilizing a tube cutter cut the pick up tube a half inch shorter. 

I replaced all my ball lock posts, and put in new seals when I purchased my used kegs. I also purchased some keg lube it helps with the sealing and prolongs the life of the seals too.

I'm sorry y'all are spending the money just to carb & pour your beer, instead of actually making beer itself.

:P

the beer is already made, kegging it is a good way to continue the aging process, storing larger quantity in one container to help having to go through the bottling task. it's just a preference for some

While I do in fact keg I am not currently doing so.  Irony of ironies, running an LHBS leaves me little time for brewing.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2016 at 3:48 PM, slym2none said:

I'm sorry y'all are spending the money just to carb & pour your beer, instead of actually making beer itself.

:P

I said "My Buddy Bought"  Not me, Him.  I says to "how about we focus on something else weve never done before, Like liquid yeats?"

Next time I see him he says he ordered the kegs.  And if it hadnt have just been xmas he wouldve ordered some 10 gal Mash Tun/ Brew Kettle thing with a heating element in it so you can brew basically anywhere.  That was $700...

Liquid yeast will have to wait I guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

"how about we focus on something else weve never done before, Like liquid yeats?"

Whats a Yeat? Is that something I should be adding to my brewing inventory? ;)

• Like 1

A good reading of some Yeats helps dry out Irish Stouts. Or at least makes them witty.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, slym2none said:

A good reading of some Yeats helps dry out Irish Stouts. Or at least makes them witty.

:lol:

theres a guy in Fayetteville, Ark. that makes keggles, mash tuns, and hlt's out of 15.5 gal. kegs and charges about $140.00 each, I've already got me a keggle, but i'm currently interested in the mash tun & hlt. just not on the budget table right now....

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

theres a guy in Fayetteville, Ark. that makes keggles, mash tuns, and hlt's out of 15.5 gal. kegs and charges about $140.00 each, I've already got me a keggle, but i'm currently interested in the mash tun & hlt. just not on the budget table right now....

Are you planning on batch sparging or fly sparging? You can build a mash tun for fairly cheap yourself:

10891.jpg

The most expensive part on this is the thermometer, which is optional anyway. You can install a cheaper one or just use an external thermometer.

You can also go with a false bottom or a manifold. The manifold is the cheaper route:

DSC_0002.JPG

• Like 4

if that's a Rubbermaid 10 gal. those run about $60.00 new, I got one on ebay, used in perfect condition for about $45.00, use it for the cool zone kit I have+great for putting my 3 gallon kegs in iced down ( didn't know that until I put the keg in with ice). I would go that route, but i'm looking at two of these, one for sparging, and one for the mash, plus the valves, and thermometers, still could be push two hundred bucks maybe??? what your thot on this Josh?

What do you mean by "one for sparging, and one for the mash"? The sparging and the mash happen in the same container - the mash tun. You have to sparge the mash, and you can't do that if the sparge and the mash are separate :blink:.

For fly sparging, all you need to do is set up a sparge arm over the mash tun. You can build one for fairly cheap rather than buying one new (http://www.bohack.com/2010/10/how-to-make-a-rotating-fly-sparge-arm-for-all-grain-brewing/).

For batch sparging, you simply need to pour hot water into the wort and drain. Of course, this isn't as efficient as fly sparging, and these round coolers don't work well for batch sparging anyway. For that, you'd want to build a mash tun out of a rectangular camping cooler instead so you have more surface area and more room for the grain to spread out.

You can build a nice mash tun for under $100 easily. 

• Like 1

ok it gets tricky, bcuz I always get this stuff confused, ok so now I have to have an HLT? correct? that's two ?

On January 3, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Jim Johnson said:

even if force carbing you'll have trub, utilizing a tube cutter cut the pick up tube a half inch shorter. 

I've been kegging for years and have never cut the tube on any of my kegs..

• Like 1