Mr.Beer Community
pearlmikejam

Spilled Wort During Transfer, Is the Beer Doomed?

I got the Gold Kit from my wife for Xmas.  She also got me an Diablo IPA extract.  On Saturday, I boiled some Cascade and Simcoe hops for 2 minutes, removed them from the heat and stirred in the extract.  When transferring to the LBK, I spilled a bit of the wort, maybe 8 oz.  I still added water to the 2 gallon mark.  Is the batch ruined?  I have added the yeast and am doing my best to let the fermenting take place, but I am worried that there is too much water or not enough wort.  My plan was to dry hop in two weeks.  How can I tell if the batch is ruined?  Will the fermenting not look as expected?

• Like 1

Your alright, you sure ain't the first to make that particular mistake(spilling during transfer)...though I might've been ;) 

• Like 1

The Beer is not doomed, but you are - you WASTED BEER!  :lol:

Your beer will be a tad weaker than expected, you likely won't even notice.  Lots of additions for a first batch...

After this batch, practice pouring WITH WATER into an empty LBK.  Pour TOWARDS YOU.

• Like 2

I spilled a good bit my first time. No noticable difference. As what rick said practice pouring. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses and the reassurance!

54 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Your beer will be a tad weaker than expected, you likely won't even notice.  Lots of additions for a first batch...

After this batch, practice pouring WITH WATER into an empty LBK.  Pour TOWARDS YOU.

I did get a creative with my first batch, but I am a little particular, especially about the hops in my IPAs.  Since Mr Beer does not disclose what hops were used in the extract, I wanted to make sure I got the hops in there I like.  I debated doing a full 60 minute boil to try and clone the hop schedule of one of my favorite IPAs, but it sounded like that would not work with an extract, based on what I read.  I am hoping to have imparted some hop flavor without affecting bitterness.  Fingers crossed.

A 2 min hop addition will affect aroma, a tad flavor, but no bitterness, and of course neither will a dry hop.  

The downside of doing this is that you won't know what Diablo tastes like with no additions.  

I use a large sanitized funnel because I'm clumsy. lol

Just to be on the safe side, send me all your bottled beer once fermentation is completed and I'll give each bottle a taste test to determine if it is ruined or not and get back to you with the results as fast as I can.:D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

A 2 min hop addition will affect aroma, a tad flavor, but no bitterness, and of course neither will a dry hop.  

The downside of doing this is that you won't know what Diablo tastes like with no additions.  

I planned to do 5 minutes, but started to get a little worried that may be too long.  I guess with it only affecting flavor a bit, I will get an idea how the Diablo tastes.

45 minutes ago, John1801 said:

Just to be on the safe side, send me all your bottled beer once fermentation is completed and I'll give each bottle a taste test to determine if it is ruined or not and get back to you with the results as fast as I can.:D

This seems fair.  Why would I want to drink my own batch?:rolleyes:

On January 4, 2016 at 11:15 AM, RickBeer said:

This just happened to me this morning while making the Abbey Double...Rookie mistake I guess LOL...I will practice pouring forward. Didn't know about this technique. Thanks Rick for the advice as always. Happy Brewing!!

FYI...in the chaos, I forgot to take a OG reading...oh well, I already added the yeast so I'll just got with the defaulted OG: 1.059 (approx.) -- FG: 1.018 (approx.). Let see after 21 days how the FG reads. 

• Like 1

Goodness I just did this, what a mess. I don't think I lost too much.  First brew so hopefully all will be ok.  I was totally freaked out, forgot to take og.  It is an Octoberfest basic refill, no booster or LME added. Hoping it won't be too weak.  I covered with a towel and put in front of the a.c. after I wiped it all down. Hoping that works for temp control.  I need one of those strips that stick to the side and tell the temp.  Slightly sad cause I thought I had the Bavarian weissbier refill. Lol. Have to get that ordered for when my lbk is ready.  Does anyone know if the Octoberfest is hoppy?

Edited by morriganpoe
Forgot a sentence.
  • Like 1

did the same with my first batch. Monday is day 21. I really doubt i will notice the difference lol. Ive been drinking Budweiser and Keystone Ice...

Im just happy my first batch "should" be ready for football season

• Like 2

2 hours ago, morriganpoe said:

Goodness I just did this, what a mess. I don't think I lost too much.  First brew so hopefully all will be ok.  I was totally freaked out, forgot to take og.  It is an Octoberfest basic refill, no booster or LME added. Hoping it won't be too weak.  I covered with a towel and put in front of the a.c. after I wiped it all down. Hoping that works for temp control.  I need one of those strips that stick to the side and tell the temp.  Slightly sad cause I thought I had the Bavarian weissbier refill. Lol. Have to get that ordered for when my lbk is ready.  Does anyone know if the Octoberfest is hoppy?

Oktoberfest isn't very hoppy.  Why wait?  Order a 2nd LBK & get that Bavarian underway!  You're going to eventually buy another anyway, and there's no time like the present!  Good luck!?

• Like 2

Lol gotta wait till payday n have to talk to the hubby.  Don't think I will have his support till I make something drinkable.  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morriganpoe said:

Lol gotta wait till payday n have to talk to the hubby.  Don't think I will have his support till I make something drinkable.  ?

Hang in there.  By your third batch he'll be fighting you over who gets to drink the last one.  Good luck!  ?

• Like 2

On 23/07/2017 at 6:33 AM, morriganpoe said:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised..

• Like 2

On 7/23/2017 at 8:24 AM, AnthonyC said:

Hang in there.  By your third batch he'll be fighting you over who gets to drink the last one.  Good luck!  ?

Started this hobby from a gift last Christmas, I just ordered my 3rd fermenter and am looking for a larger fridge for the basement. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, 76shovel said:

Started this hobby from a gift last Christmas, I just ordered my 3rd fermenter and am looking for a larger fridge for the basement. 

The addiction will take hold & take over!  You buy one LBK and then you become a fiend...  another LBK, then another, then....

• Like 1

Yeah, that's like me.... I just bought a third full kit.... But I got it for $30 and it came with 2 refills!... SCORE! my problem is I already have 2 batches in bottles, and I have 4 yet to make!.  Hahaha, good problems to have!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cammanron said:

Yeah, that's like me.... I just bought a third full kit.... But I got it for $30 and it came with 2 refills!... SCORE! my problem is I already have 2 batches in bottles, and I have 4 yet to make!.  Hahaha, good problems to have!

I'm proud to say that I have a stable of six LBKs and one vintage clear upright Mr. Beer fermenter.  Don't even get my started on brewing buckets.  

• Like 1

It's bottled, 3 weeks and a day in the fermenter.  It was nice and clear.  I found a 1 by 1 piece of wood left over from a window repair to tilt the trube away from spigot, and the whole setup sat in a foil turkey roaster pan in the a.c..   off to vacation tomorrow.  How long before i can drink it? I used the drops does that make a difference in the amount of time I have to wait?  2 per half liter mr beer pet bottles.

• Like 1

Rule of thumb is 3wks.  Amount of drops won't make a difference.  I know that you probably followed what you read, but 2 drops is a bit much.  Next time cut whatever the directions tell you to do by 1/4 to 1/3.  Either way you made beer and you may love it just the way it is.  Congrats!  ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, morriganpoe said:

Thanks!  Good to know.  Is it better to use priming sugar in the bottles as opposed to the drops?

They'll both achieve the same result.  With "regular" sugar you have more control over the carbonation.  It's easy to fine tune to your preferred carbonation level.  Some folks batch prime so they don't have to deal with adding sugar to every bottle (look about half-way through this post for a tutorial on batch priming).  I just use Domino's Dots.  One cube = 1/2 tsp.  I use one cube for 12 oz bottles, two for 16 oz or 500 ml bottles.

• Like 2