Mr.Beer Community
Newmoon brewer

Belgain Blanc Questions

I am planning on doing the Belgian Blanc tonight or tomorrow, but I have a few questions.  It says I need orange zest. So for those that have experience with this recipe or any input, am I better off putting some strips of the orange peel in the wort or should I take a grater to a whole orange and get the zest?

After the boil and putting in the zest, coriander, LME, and the Brewing Extract, is it best to cool the wort to a certain temperature prior to pouring into the LBK? I have made 3 other brews but did not cool to a specified temp but I have read that it is beneficial to cool the wort before pouring into the LBK, any thoughts?

From everything I've read before this recipe it was a big NO NO to open the lid of the LBK once fermentation was started, yet this recipe calls for the 1 week mark to put in the hops. Obviously the recipe calls for it so it must be ok but whats the problem otherwise? Isn't there just as much a risk as getting an infection as other recipes? Is the 1 week mark a good time to toss the hops in or should it be longer or shorter?

You need to grate it for the zest or you won't get any flavor extraction.

The instructions say to fill your fermenter with 4 liters of COLD (refrigerated) water, add your wort, then top it off with more COLD water. This cools the wort for you.

Opening the lid for a few seconds to add the hops won't hurt anything. Just be sure the hop sack is sanitized before adding the hops. The 1 week mark is when you add the hops.

Thanks Josh, I know about adding the cold water prior and post wort in the LBK. I thought I had read on some homebrew sites guys were saying best temp to get the wort to was like 80 ish degrees then put in the carboy or fermenters and add the yeast. Because it helps the yeast or something I do not remember exactly, still pretty green here.

Zest is zest, peel is peel.  You don't want pith, which is the white part - it is VERY bitter.  So either do zest or buy orange at your LHBS.

No Mr. Beer recipe to my knowledge requires cooling.  If you follow directions - 1 gallon of COLD water, dump in the pot, and top off with COLD water, you will end up right where you need to be.  Only people who boil a lot more than 4 cups of water need to cool wort down (I end up with 2 - 2.5 gallons of wort when I brew, which I cool to around 95 and then mix with refrigerated water, ending around 60 or so.

And Josh was typing while I was...

14 minutes ago, Newmoon brewer said:

Thanks Josh, I know about adding the cold water prior and post wort in the LBK. I thought I had read on some homebrew sites guys were saying best temp to get the wort to was like 80 ish degrees then put in the carboy or fermenters and add the yeast. Because it helps the yeast or something I do not remember exactly, still pretty green here.

80 degrees doesn't help the yeast, it hurts it. You want to pitch at 75 or lower. Higher temps can produce off-flavors.

1 hour ago, Newmoon brewer said:

So then cool the wort to 75 or lower before adding the yeast in the lbk. Correct?

That is correct!

I use potato peeler on an orange after washing/rinsing it to get thin peel and put it in a hop bag with coriander crushed. Comes out fine. If I used fine grater or chopped the peel I may get more flavor out. You can also buy a "zester" that scrapes smaller bits off the skin.

I like to add the crushed coriander seed during the last 10 minutes of the boil. Then I will peel the orange on day 5 of fermentation and place the peel in a bowl with just enough vodka to cover it (the vodka will sanitize the peel and extract the essential oils). Then I put the peel (with the vodka) in the fermenter on day 7. That's just what works for me.

yeah, go for zesting or the vodka soak (but vodka soak has to be done in advance of brew day).  and don't get crazy with the coriander - start with the recommended dosage and you can adjust next time to taste.  

for the cooling, you might be reading about all grain boils or some other non-extract process for brewing.  In those cases, there is active cooling to bring down the wort temp.  not needed with a belgian blanc recipe.  do what Josh suggested, and use refrigerated water to get you to BELOW 75 - I like to get below 70, as the board will tell you, the optimum fermenting temp is around 65 F.  

a lot of recipes call for additions at the 1 week mark, so opening the lid is needed.  Just do it as quickly as you can, to reduce any possible contaminates from entering..  and, of course sanitize the hop sack, tongs, plate, etc, whatever you are using that may contact anything going in the wort.  

Sorry to bring this back to life but as I'm preparing to start this recipe I have one final question. The last 3 brews I did, I was without a thermometer to monitor the wort's' temperature while it was fermenting. I did not realize it would get so much warmer than the room temp. I have been suggested to use a cooler to keep the wort temp lower than the room which is at roughtly 68. My question, is there a calculation or formula to figure as to what the correct ambient temp should be to keep the wort at a certain temp?

Thanks in advance!

OG was 1.035 Mr beer recipe says OG at 1.042 approx. So it was .007 lower than approximation.

Today it has been 2 weeks + 1 day I checked the gravity and it read out as 1.005(.006 lower than recipe approximation). FG per recipe approximation is 1.011. 

Good to go for bottling right!?

Give it a few more days.  Most here recommend three weeks of fermentation to allow the yeast to clean up the byproducts produced in the process.  At the very least, you'll want to check the gravity one more time in another day or two to be certain that fermentation has stopped.  From that reading I'd guess there's a good chance that it's done, but check once more and if you get the same number you're good to go if you want to bottle.

I'm planning on making this brew again. I picked some hallertau blanc hops from my LBHS. Their packages only come in 1 oz packs so I bought two since the recipe calls for 1.5 oz. Will it be a significant taste difference if I use all two ounces or am I better off sticking to the 1.5 oz?

Edit: I just realized on the package it says alpha acid 8.8 and MB hallertau are 3.5-5.5! What will that difference do, more bitter?

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:47 PM, Newmoon brewer said:

OG was 1.035 Mr beer recipe says OG at 1.042 approx. So it was .007 lower than approximation.

Today it has been 2 weeks + 1 day I checked the gravity and it read out as 1.005(.006 lower than recipe approximation). FG per recipe approximation is 1.011. 

Good to go for bottling right!?

Maybe your hydrometer is .006 off, if so, you are spot on!

I bottled my first try at Belgian Blanc tonight after three weeks fermenting time.  OG was 1.036.  FG was 1.004.  I think my hydrometer reads low.

I used a Blue Moon spice pack from the Local Homebrew store.  It's their mixture of sweet orange peel, bitter orange peel and coriander.  I used a muslin sack, but seemed to have a lot of those spices floating around and some down in the trub.  Don't know if my muslin sack broke up or split or what.  I've been tempted to go commando...and maybe I ended up doing that.   In any case, it had a good taste and should be a good summer beer.  Color was good.

I'll post a photo showing the label I made for it.  I'm calling it Blue Moon Loon!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K5WX said:

I bottled my first try at Belgian Blanc tonight after three weeks fermenting time.  OG was 1.036.  FG was 1.004.  I think my hydrometer reads low.

I used a Blue Moon spice pack from the Local Homebrew store.  It's their mixture of sweet orange peel, bitter orange peel and coriander.  I used a muslin sack, but seemed to have a lot of those spices floating around and some down in the trub.  Don't know if my muslin sack broke up or split or what.  I've been tempted to go commando...and maybe I ended up doing that.   In any case, it had a good taste and should be a good summer beer.  Color was good.

I'll post a photo showing the label I made for it.  I'm calling it Blue Moon Loon!

I'm surprised that the spice pack didn't come with a side pack of Hallertau Hops.  Every recipe I've seen for Blue Moon clones have this.  Either way, it sounds great!  Can't wait to hear your review! :)

6 hours ago, K5WX said:

Put hydrometer in distilled water at 60 (assuming that is what it is calibrated for) and it should read 1.  One of mine reads 0.98, so I add .02 each time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Newmoon brewer said:

I'm planning on making this brew again. I picked some hallertau blanc hops from my LBHS. Their packages only come in 1 oz packs so I bought two since the recipe calls for 1.5 oz. Will it be a significant taste difference if I use all two ounces or am I better off sticking to the 1.5 oz?

Edit: I just realized on the package it says alpha acid 8.8 and MB hallertau are 3.5-5.5! What will that difference do, more bitter?

Rick do you have any thoughts on the info above?

13 hours ago, Newmoon brewer said:

*actually, the recipe calls for 1 quantity of 1/2 ounce of Hallertau hops... this is very common mistake, to read the ingredients as 1.5 oz, when it is actually one, one half-ounce package that is needed...  

so... using 2 oz will be using FOUR times the amount.. yes it will be noticeable.  

• Like 2

When I did my Belgian Blanc last Saturday I added 1/2oz at flameout, and I'll add another this Saturday (1 week mark). 

11 hours ago, cowboykyle said:

*actually, the recipe calls for 1 quantity of 1/2 ounce of Hallertau hops... this is very common mistake, to read the ingredients as 1.5 oz, when it is actually one, one half-ounce package that is needed...  

so... using 2 oz will be using FOUR times the amount.. yes it will be noticeable.  

Good catch cowboy! First time around I had just ordered the recipe from mrbeer.

I must have been drunk at this one time, I was looking at my recent mr. beer order that arrived, and noticed they only sent 1/2 oz of hop instead of the 1 1/2 oz hop, so I think I called them and it might have been Tim I talked to, he then clarified the issue with me, so everything worked out, and Tim got to meet the split personality Hoppy guy on the phone! it all worked out just fine

• Like 1

On 3/19/2016 at 6:49 AM, HoppySmile! said:

might have been Tim I talked to

I thought for sure I was the only one that remembered that conversation.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:49 AM, HoppySmile! said:

I must have been drunk at this one time, I was looking at my recent mr. beer order that arrived, and noticed they only sent 1/2 oz of hop instead of the 1 1/2 oz hop, so I think I called them and it might have been Tim I talked to, he then clarified the issue with me, so everything worked out, and Tim got to meet the split personality Hoppy guy on the phone! it all worked out just fine

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:49 AM, HoppySmile! said:

"he then clarified the issue with me"--and exactly how long did this take, Tim?  ;)  :)  Love ya, Hoppy! 

• Like 1

Sorry, Sarge.  I'm juggling the forums, the bloodsucking student loan company, and my killer miniature dachshunds trying to gang r@*e the neighbor's husky!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

sometimes very often / nearly always / normal state of being /  I have to be drunk to remember drunken moments

• Like 2

This is a total epic fail on my part. I am hoping you guys can give me a quick answer. I'm making the Blanc again, today as a matter of fact. I go to get my supplies from my inventory and I realize I spaced out purchasing wb-06 dry wheat yeast. I have S-33 and of course the yeast that comes under the Bav Weiss lid. Are either of these usable for the Blanc recipe!?

Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmoon brewer said:

This is a total epic fail on my part. I am hoping you guys can give me a quick answer. I'm making the Blanc again, today as a matter of fact. I go to get my supplies from my inventory and I realize I spaced out purchasing wb-06 dry wheat yeast. I have S-33 and of course the yeast that comes under the Bav Weiss lid. Are either of these usable for the Blanc recipe!?

Thanks in advance!!

I used the yeast under the hood for a Belgian Blanc Orange & it turned out fine.  Just make sure it isn't too old.  Good luck! :)

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, Newmoon brewer said:

Thanks in advance!!

i'm using an s-33 on a Czech pilsner partial mash recipe, I think it needs to ferment lower temps than the yeast under the lid. i'm brewing the Czech @58 degrees. eventhough it's an ale yeast i believe you almost have to brew it like a lager yeast, but it should yield a cleaner better tasting beer in my opnion

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

i'm using an s-33 on a Czech pilsner partial mash recipe, I think it needs to ferment lower temps than the yeast under the lid. i'm brewing the Czech @58 degrees. eventhough it's an ale yeast i believe you almost have to brew it like a lager yeast, but it should yield a cleaner better tasting beer in my opnion

According to the company, the ideal temp is between 59-68, which is lower than the recommendations for our yeast. It can tolerate as low as 53 F, though, which is within lager temps. 

• Like 1