Mr.Beer Community
Dundiesel86

Water measurements

I have noticed in some recipes that before adding the wort to your keg it says to fill with cold water to the 4 quart mark while others say to fill to the #1 mark. I want to assume these are the same thing but I thought perhaps there was something I was missing and would hate to make a silly mistake on future brews. My LBK has a 4 quart mark however no #1 mark. Thanks in advance for any and all help from a New Brewer, looking forward to learning and crafting:)

Ignore the references to the #1 mark. Always fill the LBK with 4 quarts of chilled water before transfering the hot wort. Then top up to the 8.5 quart mark with more cold water. This should get you to the proper yeast pitching temperature.

• Like 4

I just pour in 1 gallon of puified water that i buy at the store then i put in the freezer for a few hours before brewing. 4 quarts is a gallon.

2 hours ago, JohnnyPalm said:

I just pour in 1 gallon of puified water that i buy at the store then i put in the freezer for a few hours before brewing. 4 quarts is a gallon.

I keep 1 gallon bottles of spring water from the store in the garage fridge. That way, I always have cold water ready to go.

I guess the 4 quart mark is the 1st mark (in upward direction ) so could be construed as #1 mark. but  "4" mark is what to fill to at first.

I used filtered tap water today...cool but not refrigerated. Probably pitched a little warm, but I've got plenty of action already, so I guess I didn't kill the yeast. :)

3 hours ago, J A said:

I used filtered tap water today...cool but not refrigerated. Probably pitched a little warm, but I've got plenty of action already, so I guess I didn't kill the yeast. :)

You will have beer. But you will have much better beer if you can get your wort between 62-65 F before pitching your yeast.

• Like 2

Is there a big difference in water quality.  I've started my first batch, and I used refrigeratored spring water.  Just wondering, because I was tempted to use distilled water.  

Spend some time reading the forum.  If it tastes good,  brew with it.  Don't use distilled water. 

Pitching the yeast at too high a temperature will not necessarily give you a "bad" beer. It will however decrease the survival of the yeast as they rehydrate and get their metabolism started. This is also influenced by the gravity of the wort. Your "Lag" time is changed by aeration too. The basic idea is that you want enough yeast surviving the initial inoculation of the wort.

5 hours ago, Brian N. said:

BTW - much discussion on water in previous threads. Don't use distilled water.

That's only true if you're doing all grain. The reason is that the yeast need some minerals to be healthy. But if you're using extracts, those minerals are already present. 

As a side note, if you're doing all grain,  RO water should also be avoided. 

• Like 1

Go drink a glass of distilled water.  Then drink a glass of spring water or good tap water.  If you think they all taste the same, then brew with them.  Most think that distilled water doesn't taste great.

• Like 1

When we culture microorganisms in the lab, we find that "Deer Park" spring water has just the right balance of minerals to successfully grow the little critters. Never had good results with distilled water, unless we added nutrients and minerals. Point is, good tap water or spring water is just fine for beer brewing at home, at the level most of us brew. Warning: some spring water does expire. Look for a date on the jug.

4 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

When we culture microorganisms in the lab, we find that "Deer Park" spring water has just the right balance of minerals to successfully grow the little critters. Never had good results with distilled water, unless we added nutrients and minerals. Point is, good tap water or spring water is just fine for beer brewing at home, at the level most of us brew. Warning: some spring water does expire. Look for a date on the jug.

I've always wondered what happens to spring water when it expires, does it turn to wine :lol:

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:40 PM, scouterbill said:

Ignore the references to the #1 mark. Always fill the LBK with 4 quarts of chilled water before transfering the hot wort. Then top up to the 8.5 quart mark with more cold water. This should get you to the proper yeast pitching temperature.

Both of my LBK kits only have mark 1 and mark 2, no 8.5 quart mark on the LBK's themselves.  I assume they are one and the same.  Even the Mr. Beer instructions say to fill to line 1 with cold water before adding wort, then to fill to mark 2 with more colder water before adding yeast.  Did they change marking systems along the way or something?  I followed the directions and filled all three refills I have brewing up to mark 2 as indicated.  I hope I didn't muck something up.  The confusing part is all three refills have the same instructions on the can indicating fill to the 8.5 quart mark. 

1 minute ago, RickBeer said:

The older LBKs have no "1" and "2" marks, that's what I own.

OK, so as I have the newer kits, when it says to top off the LBK's to mark 2, that must be 8.5 Quarts.  Would that be correct Rick?  I didn't measure it, I just followed the markings as indicated on the paper instructions that came with the LBK's themselves.  Just making sure I didn't go 1/2 quart light of water in every batch. 

Yes, 8.5 quarts is the proper mark.  The refills are all designed to do 2.13 gallons except for the 6 gallon one of course.  That is 8.52 quarts.

33 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Yes, 8.5 quarts is the proper mark.  The refills are all designed to do 2.13 gallons except for the 6 gallon one of course.  That is 8.52 quarts

Gotcha.  I wonder when the instructions on the cans will eventually coincide to the paper instructions and the new LBK's that don't have any quart markings, only mark 1 and 2?  I'm sure I just overthought it, but it would be good to have symmetry as to not confuse any newbies like myself..

The markings must have changed with the new LBK's. I just checked the new LBK (black lid and spigot) that my wife got me for Christmas and sure enough, a '1' and a '2' is marked on the end. I'm not sure how I feel about that!

Anyways, sorry about any confusion @Dundiesel86 & @Nightwulf1974 that my earlier post might have caused. Yes, mark 1 is the cold water fill line prior to wort addition (4 quarts) and mark 2 is the 'total' fill line (8.5 quarts).

2 hours ago, scouterbill said:

The markings must have changed with the new LBK's. I just checked the new LBK (black lid and spigot) that my wife got me for Christmas and sure enough, a '1' and a '2' is marked on the end. I'm not sure how I feel about that!

Anyways, sorry about any confusion @Dundiesel86 & @Nightwulf1974 that my earlier post might have caused. Yes, mark 1 is the cold water fill line prior to wort addition (4 quarts) and mark 2 is the 'total' fill line (8.5 quarts).

No apology necessary.  It was just a little confusing, but I assumed that the 8.5 qt. mark was the same as mark 2 on the newer LBK's like I have.  I actually went on the videos section, and the 2014 ones still use the old markings, so this has to have been a change within the last year I'm guessing?  Anyways, it may not be a bad idea to update the instructions as aforementioned so there is symmetry in that regard, especially if reading directions right off the HME's that Mr. Beer sells that still mention 4 qt. and 8.5 qt. markings.  Thanks again.