Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DeanoG

Cold Crashing, Batch Priming and Bottling Buckets

Getting close to 21 day fermentation and am somewhat confused on the cold crashing, priming and bottling bucket process.  I've read many/most/all of the guidance in other posts and signatures but I may just be a little dense.

Should I decide to cold crash it seems straight forward that I move the LBK to the fridge for the appropriate time period (72 hours...).  I also understand that I shouldn't let the beer warm up prior to bottling.  So, if I cold crash, want to batch prime AND use a bottling bucket (should I use a bottling bucket/slimline?) do I add the cooled priming mixture to the bottling bucket/slimline?  Should move the beer to the slimline first then add the priming mixture or vice versa?

Finally, one more question.  In looking at the calculator on www.screwybrewer.com, I see the various standard carbonation levels of various beer styles.  Is there a place that reconciles the MRB extracts to the beer styles?  For example, I'm currently fermenting Canadian Blonde.  Which beer style should I use on the screwybrewer site to determine the approximate carbonation levels?

I researched the forum and some other sites but couldn't find answers.  It's possible I confused myself (wouldn't be the first time...).

Thanks much,

Deano

• Like 1

Boil your priming water, I let mine boil for 5 minutes if I can. Since you're only doing two gallons I assume that may be hard. Maybe just boil a cup or a cup and a half. Add priming sugar and let cool.

meanwhile id be washing bottles or whatever. Boil your water first. Oh and cover with a sanitized aluminum foil while cooking, just so no junk gets in. 

Slimline is cool, I like my other LBK for batch priming. Start draining into whichever you choose. About 1/3 of the way through transferring, dump in the priming sugar.  Finish transferring. The draining will mix the priming sugar for you. A vinyl tube works the best but I don't have one that's good grade so I just drain in slowly at an angle. Then I stir ever so gently with a sanitized spoon, gently, very gently. 

Then start bottling. I like batch priming cuz it minimizes my trub, and maximizes my yield.

as far as screwy Brewer, I just get it close, it's a preference thing. 

Im bottling tonight too, maybe I'll take some pics...

thats how I do it, works for me. Just be clean. Batch priming is twice as quick as bottle priming unless you use tabs.

The Screwybrewer sugar levels are what I use and they seem spot on. Pick the brew that most closely resembles a light ale for the Canadian Blonde. Higher carbonation levels can bring  a crisp finish to the beer, which is popular in the lighter beers. Cold crashing is NOT a requirement. Personally, I don't cold crash my beers. I would bottle prime, unless you are determined to batch prime.

6 hours ago, DeanoG said:

Should I decide to cold crash it seems straight forward that I move the LBK to the fridge for the appropriate time period (72 hours...).  I also understand that I shouldn't let the beer warm up prior to bottling.  So, if I cold crash, want to batch prime AND use a bottling bucket (should I use a bottling bucket/slimline?) do I add the cooled priming mixture to the bottling bucket/slimline?  Should move the beer to the slimline first then add the priming mixture or vice versa?

Finally, one more question.  In looking at the calculator on www.screwybrewer.com, I see the various standard carbonation levels of various beer styles.  Is there a place that reconciles the MRB extracts to the beer styles?  For example, I'm currently fermenting Canadian Blonde.  Which beer style should I use on the screwybrewer site to determine the approximate carbonation levels?

I researched the forum and some other sites but couldn't find answers.  It's possible I confused myself (wouldn't be the first time...).

Thanks much,

Deano

bottling bucket, slimline, LBK, all work.  best to use a tube, to minimize aeration - which is bad at this point.  

yes, add priming mixture to bottling bucket.  you'd be wasting some if you left it in with the trub.  lots recommend a gentle stir after adding, as well as another gentle stir halfway through bottling.  

and as other have said, just pick the style you'd like, if it isn't specifically listed.  *however, if it lists anything above 3.5, don't listen to it.. that is just too much and you'll end up with bombs or super foam beers...  

If this is your first batch, I'd STRONGLY RECOMMEND you not batch prime.  Cold crash if you want (see info in my sig), but batch priming should not be done on your first batch.  You need to learn how to bottle properly, and should not be worried about buying a slimline, hose, and the process yet.  

Also, I think you're close to 14 days, not 21, based on your original post.

I'd also suggest you NOT read a whole bunch of sites at first.  Like any hobby, brewing has lots of different approaches.  Get the PROCESS down first, then look to do new things.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.  I'll likely bottle prime this time (and use up the carbonation drops that I got).

In regards to batch priming in the future (thanks RickBeer), if I would cold crash the LBK I assume it would not be a problem to have the room temperature priming solution mixed with the cold beer (whether its bottled from the LBK or a slimline) would it? 

Out of curiosity, if I use a slimline it seems easy to move the beer from the LBK via some tubing, etc.  How do you all bottle from the slimline?  In looking at it, I'm not sure a bottling want can connect to the spigot on the slimline.  Do you just use the spigot?

Thanks again.

RickBeer - you're correct, about 14 days in so I have some time.

AnthonyC - big Dean Martin fan so the pic is mandatory...

• Like 1

No issue with warm cup of priming solution. 

Tubing from LBK spigot into slimline or 2nd LBK. 

Bottling wand fits inside slimline spigot or small piece of hose for LBK spigot.