Mr.Beer Community
Cuban IPA

Hydrometer- When is the best time to get reading?

I just received my hydrometer with 9 days in on fermenting. I know it has to be a minimum of 10 days, which is tomorrow. Would I be able to check tomorrow to get a sample of my batch to get the OF reading to see if its ready for bottling instead of waiting till Saturday (day 14), 01/16/16?  

OF?

OG - original gravity

FG - final gravity

SG - specific gravity

You really don't want to bottle after 10 days.  As you were told by Josh here: 

even if you have a hydrometer he would go 3 weeks.    Also, you either want two matching readings 24 - 48 hours apart, or you take a FG reading to compute ABV or see you hit your target FG.

• Like 1

I have a hydrometer AND follow the 3-4 rule. So I take my OG just before pitching my yeast. Take the FG just before adding the priming solution on bottling day, just to find the actual ABV.

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

OF?

OG - original gravity

FG - final gravity

SG - specific gravity

You really don't want to bottle after 10 days.  As you were told by Josh here: 

even if you have a hydrometer he would go 3 weeks.    Also, you either want two matching readings 24 - 48 hours apart, or you take a FG reading to compute ABV or see you hit your target FG.

Rick, I mean to say FG..my bad. Alright, three weeks it is than and I'll follow your advice on the two matching sample reading 2 days before bottling. Thanks again guys.

If you didnt take a og reading you wont be able to figure your abv. You will be just testing that you are done fermenting.

And if you go 3 weeks,  you don't need to take 2 readings. Take 1, if it is at expected FG you are done. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

And if you go 3 weeks,  you don't need to take 2 readings. Take 1, if it is at expected FG you are done. 

Perfect! Thnx

Why waste beer go 3 weeks on fermentation and then bottle 2.1 gal. is all you get so don't take a FG and bottle it all. IMHO;)

27 minutes ago, John1801 said:

Why waste beer go 3 weeks on fermentation and then bottle 2.1 gal. is all you get so don't take a FG and bottle it all. IMHO;)

There is ZERO waste.  

Take FG sample.  Read gravity.  Drink sample.

• Like 1

Rick you are right but I prefer my beer to be conditioned and carbed if its only 2 gal.

So today is that 13 day of fermentation for my Diablo IPA and I decided to take a hydrometer reading and I got FG 1.008 which seems pretty low compared to what I calculated the FG to be between 1.014 - 1.015. I calculated this by using the given range of the OG from the Craft series which is 1.055 - 1.058. My adhesive thermometer reads 68-72 degree, which I assume is the temp of my beer. Does the test sample need to be at a specific temp for accurate reading?  I also tasted it and it didn't taste sweet at all but bitter on the back of the tounge...just like I would taste a room temp IPA. Even when I was getting my readings, I saw Cardon dioxide bubbles in my tube. Is this a good sign? The beer had a good Amber color to it was clear (no sediment).

Have you read the How to use a hydrometer thread?  All hydrometers are calibrated, most to 60, and then you adjust if you're higher - but the adjust is very minor.  

Bubbles are irrelevant.

Again - as has been stated before - you should wait 21 days to give the yeast time to cleanup.

Yes I did read it and I'll go back and read it again as a refresher. I'll take another reading tomorrow to see if it changes or stays the same, just for my knowledge and experience. But Rick, even if I do the taste test and it taste like a flat beer, wouldn't it be ready for bottling? Just asking cause that's what I have read...

I read it and if would only be a difference of 0.001 for a temp of 72 degrees...still low. I even used the calculator link you had on the thread. Let's see tomorrow, if not I'll wait till next Saturday for the 3 week mark to see if the yeast does anymore cleanup. 

So this morning I did some more research and I figured out that a typical medium bodied pale ale (5.5% ABV which is the ABV for MrB Diablo IPA) would have an OG of ~50 and the FG of ~ 10. I got a reading yesterday of 8 which is fairly close. Second reading will be done tonight and probable bottling for tomorrow. Looking forward to this!