Mr.Beer Community

We can't buy WDA anymore but can we craft the recipes using just Mr. Beer extracts?  I am willing to find out so here is what I came up with in what I am calling End of Winter Dark Ale -- Defibrillator Option:

American Porter HME

Oktoberfest HME

Robust LME

Safale S-04 yeast

OG 1.068

SRM 40+

IBU 62

1.95 kg of hopped malt

For the Black Moon Rising Option, I would simply substitute 2 Smooth LMEs for the Robust LME which would (in theory) lower SRM from 47 to 36, and increase hopped malt to 2.2 kg.  I would try this Porterfest BMR Option myself, but all 3 LBKs are now once again in use!  You will note that I am not venturing into any extra hopping here, but would really be interested to hear what the Forum Brewers might recommend.  Finally, as with any brewing experimentation, in the end I will have made beer.  But I am hoping that these attempts will be successful and maybe help those suffering through their WDA withdrawals. :)

At least until that other Craft Series is announced...

• Like 2

Interesting! That looks like a good beer even if it turns out not to be quite as the WDA. Seems to me getting the dark fruit tones is a challenge, not sure how to get that. I do have a can of XXXX brand Porter LME so I am trying that in things too.

• Like 1

I am hoping this is a win-win for me too.  Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just gone for it with some Hallertau, Saaz or Mt. Hood hops for balance.  My thinking at the time was to see how this basic recipe tastes and then go from there.  I appreciate the feedback @Nickfixit!

Just so that I don't confuse (myself) or others, my calculations for "hopped malt" include the weight of the LMEs as well.  A more accurate descriptor would have been "fermentable malt."  Interesting goings-on in the LBK -- after just 10 hours, I had frothy foam right up to the lid and figured I was going to have a blow-out for sure.  I put the LBK in the kitchen sink for containment, but this morning, things had calmed down just enough to where it looks like it will be OK.  I knew the Safale S-04 was going to get things going fast, but wow!

Skip the Hallertau and Saaz which would probably favor the Oktoberfest malt profile and instead dry-hop some Goldings or Northern Brewer at 1-week to accentuate the darker malts?  Any comments or ideas are strongly encouraged!

Note to Self (pretty much sums up this thread... ;))

May be on the right track as far as any hopping is concerned -- I noticed that a couple of the higher OG recipes (Count Hopsulator and Slap Hoppy Stout) do hop with Goldings and/or Northern Brewer.  The question is will additional hops help in melding the two HME malt profiles, or will it take away from the Defibrillator flavor that I am looking for?  I knew from the start that there is way more to crafting a beer than matching SRMs, IBUs and ABVs and this experimenting may prove that out, but I am still hopeful that I am going to end up with a nice dark balanced beer!

End of Winter Dark Ale is bottled and now all I can do is wait.  For fun, I poured a shot of Defibrillator Doppelbock to compare and was pleased with the result.  @Nickfixit pretty much saw it coming though, or maybe it was the power of suggestion at work but my EOWDA may be missing some of those stone fruit and/or dark chocolate flavors at the end.  I do like the way the Porter/Robust malts take center stage over the Oktoberfest though, and I may be on the right track there.  Also, I actually exhibited some restraint with this recipe and did not take a chance on another unexperienced hops choice without first determining whether any are needed (see the Dark Wheat Lager thread:wacko:)!

FG was 1.013, so ABV works out to 7.2%

It would be very interesting to try a cacao nibs addition next time -- thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Sincerely,

Steve:D

• Like 2

Maybe some steeped Black or Chocolate malts to 'fill in the gap?'  See what all this Partial Mash business has started?  Oh my...

• Like 1

Stone Fruit option?

Summer (Australia)

5.6-6.4%   A hop variety formerly known as Summer Saaz that has a gentle floral aroma, slightly earthy. Expect apricot and stone fruit notes when used in dry hopping.
  • Like 1

Just finished a bottle of the WDA brewed with  0.5 lb Muntons Dark DME, Mangrove Jack  Newcastle Dark Ale yeast.  Bottled 9/2015.

Now very smooth and great flavors as it warms.

I still have another to make up :-)

• Like 3

I also mourn the loss of the Winter Dark Ale. I bought 2 cans when it went on sale and it clearly has been the best stand alone refill I had (I've brewed 40+ LBKs). Such a nice balance of rich malty goodness and a nice hoppy finish.

Online I have found cans of Coopers Dark Ale that makes 6 gallon batches and wonder if that is the same recipe. Obviously one could split the big can into 2 or 3 LBKs. Anyone ever tried that or know anything about the comparability of the two? I'd love to brew the Winter Dark Ale again.

• Like 3

Probably worth trying the Cooper's until Mr B has something better.

I have thought the same myself.

The can is 3.75 lb  Assuming bitterness will be right for 6 gal, and you want 5.5% same as WDA,

- splitting into 3x 2 gal batches will mean you get 1.31 lb per batch so need another 1.5 lb to make up to the WDA's 2.86 lb.

- splitting into 2x 2.2 gal batches will mean extra bitter, and give 1.87 lb per batch, needing 1 lb to get up to the WDA's 2.86 lb

I would not use the enhancer (booster approach but add

- for the 3 way split, 3 packs robust or 2 robust and a smooth LME per batch. (1.31 + 0.5x3 = 2.81)

- for the 2 way split, 2 packs robust or a robust and a smooth LME per batch.  (1.87+ 0.5x2 = 2.87)

If I try it that is what I will do. Either way it means added 6 LME packs  or 3 lb dark LME of some kind.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 5:00 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Maybe some steeped Black or Chocolate malts to 'fill in the gap?'  See what all this Partial Mash business has started?  Oh my...

I picked up some "Chateau Chocolat" malt the other day, so I think I might start with that along with some Carapils.  And if I could find the English Coffee malt that hoppy suggested, maybe a little of that too?   

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

The can is 3.75 lb  Assuming bitterness will be right for 6 gal, and you want 5.5% same as WDA,

- splitting into 3x 2 gal batches will mean you get 1.31 lb per batch so need another 1.5 lb to make up to the WDA's 2.86 lb.

- splitting into 2x 2.2 gal batches will mean extra bitter, and give 1.87 lb per batch, needing 1 lb to get up to the WDA's 2.86 lb

- for the 3 way split, 2 packs robust or a robust and a smooth LME per batch.

- for the 2 way split, 3 packs robust or 2 robust and a smooth LME per batch.

If I try it that is what I will do. Either way it means added 6 LME packs  or 3 lb dark LME of some kind.

Thanks for doing the calculation. Very very helpful.

Yeah, I have 2 LBKs, so the latter route sounds best, probably the 2 robust/1 smooth. Just bought a bunch of seasonals so won't have a chance to try this anytime soon, but if anyone does try it, please share your experiences.

4 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

- for the 3 way split, 2 packs robust or a robust and a smooth LME per batch.

- for the 2 way split, 3 packs robust or 2 robust and a smooth LME per batch.

Good Luck with the Munton's/Coopers attempts!  For me, this is all just for fun (or maybe a challenge of sorts), to try to come up with something close to the Defibrillator Doppelbock using Mr. Beer ingredients.  Even with my first attempt coming up short on carbonation (except for 2 of 15 bottles, which appear to be perfectly carbed), it is something to build on.  Still looking forward to a cold one tonight!:)

Forget the label, you may need a new one :-)

I am now making DunkelWeiss. All Extract and Partial Mash to see difference.  The All Extract is started and smelled very aromatic at day 2 sniffing LBK vents.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, ICEdaddy said:

Thanks for doing the calculation. Very very helpful.

Yeah, I have 2 LBKs, so the latter route sounds best, probably the 2 robust/1 smooth. Just bought a bunch of seasonals so won't have a chance to try this anytime soon, but if anyone does try it, please share your experiences.

Oh BTW I made up one of the Porter with a Robust and a Smooth LME and it came out pretty nice. Still missing the stone fruits though.

Read this and it may help. I am not sure the WDA would have had candi sugar but it may have some interesting malts

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/09/homebrewing-advice-how-to-brew-belgian-strong-dark-ale-beer.html

They reference malts - "Special B will provide a raisin quality and CaraMunich can add dried plum and cherry notes. "

And candy sugar - "I'm a fan of the candi syrups from Dark Candi Inc. Their D syrup is reminiscent of plum, raisins, and figs."

A couple say they do but they are ones I don't know.

I have seen the references with Nugget, Zythos (a blend) , BitterGold, Chellan, Sumner.

Also yeasts http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=189

I see crystal malts cited also   e.g.

Wild Turkey Barrel Obfuscation Imperial Stout

Chocolate and coffee roast malt flavors dominate this rich, powerful stout. Crystal malts add notes of dark fruit and toffee. After aging in a bourbon barrel, wonderful oaky vanilla notes were added to the mix. 10% ABV

Re Cooper's Dark Ale Refill  - I got an Amazon coupon for 25% off on one (coupon did not extend to < 1 can  :-/ ) and free shipping so in some months I will be able to tell you how bad it is for $18 + extra malt/booster for 5 or 6 gals of dark beer. 

Undecided as to 2 way or 3 way split right now.  (2.5+2.5)? or (2 + 2 + 2)?

The 3 way split I can make 3 different beers with it even. e.g.

1. Original Cooper recipe ( but using booster instead of Brew Enhancer). 1/3 can HME + 1 pack Booster. (That is 12.5 oz booster to replace 1/3 of a 1 kg (35.2 oz) box of brew enhancer - pretty close).  Not a strong beer.
  2. 1/3 can HME + 2 Robust LME, + 1 Smooth LME --> Same strength as WDA. based on malt total = 2.81 vs. WDA 2.86 lbm--> 5.5%
  3. 1/3 can HME + I may make this one with just 1 Smooth for dark session beer.

Of course doing 3 at once will mess up my pipeline timing.

And everyone was too polite to mention my error on post above for malt adds on 2 or 3 batch split. (I edited it now).

On February 25, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I picked up some "Chateau Chocolat" malt the other day, so I think I might start with that along with some Carapils.  And if I could find the English Coffee malt that hoppy suggested, maybe a little of that too?   

Well, this turned out pretty good.  Ended up using the Chocolate malt, 2-row Carapils and Simpson's Brown Coffee malt with a 7 minute Northern Brewer hop boil.  I could drink this all night but at 7% ABV, one will have to do. ?

• Like 3

On March 2, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Nickfixit said:

Re Cooper's Dark Ale Refill  - I got an Amazon coupon for 25% off on one (coupon did not extend to < 1 can  :-/ ) and free shipping so in some months I will be able to tell you how bad it is for $18 + extra malt/booster for 5 or 6 gals of dark beer. 

Undecided as to 2 way or 3 way split right now.  (2.5+2.5)? or (2 + 2 + 2)?

The 3 way split I can make 3 different beers with it even. e.g.

1. Original Cooper recipe ( but using booster instead of Brew Enhancer). 1/3 can HME + 1 pack Booster. (That is 12.5 oz booster to replace 1/3 of a 1 kg (35.2 oz) box of brew enhancer - pretty close).  Not a strong beer.
  2. 1/3 can HME + 2 Robust LME, + 1 Smooth LME --> Same strength as WDA. based on malt total = 2.81 vs. WDA 2.86 lbm--> 5.5%
  3. 1/3 can HME + I may make this one with just 1 Smooth for dark session beer.

Of course doing 3 at once will mess up my pipeline timing.

And everyone was too polite to mention my error on post above for malt adds on 2 or 3 batch split. (I edited it now).

Looking forward to hearing how this one turns out.  I really miss WDA and have been looking for a substitute.  Got a couple of Munton's and Cooper's brews to try and see if they're close.  WDA seemed to be very popular and I'm surprised they would discontinue it.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:51 AM, M42 said:

Looking forward to hearing how this one turns out.  I really miss WDA and have been looking for a substitute.  Got a couple of Munton's and Cooper's brews to try and see if they're close.  WDA seemed to be very popular and I'm surprised they would discontinue it.

Will bottle these 3 during week of April 24th. Will get some early idea then.  

Tried the Coopers Dark Ale and found it's lighter than WDA.  On the next batch I'm going to try adding 2 lbs dark DME, 1/2 lb light DME and some Fuggle hops  and see if that will get it closer.  

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:27 PM, Nickfixit said:

Will bottle these 3 during week of April 24th. Will get some early idea then.  

Bottled all of them tonight, it was a long session.

(This is 1 Coopers Dark Ale can split evenly between 3 LBKs (after dissolving the whole can in water).)

Taste impressions so far.

The #1 -  Coopers HME and Booster - ~ 3.5%. A serviceable light ABV dark ale, reminds me of English mild but this hop is a little more spicy. Not a  lot of residual sweetness.

The #2  - Cooper's HME, 8oz Sparkling Amber DME, 8oz  Special Dark LME, 8 oz Pilsner DME 0.5 oz HBC438 hop at flameout. This one had better body and mouth feel. You get some roasty and caramelly but the hop is unusual. I was getting mint and bubblegum and other strange things, very lightly. Mind you this was flat and warm so, later will be different. I think that hop might be better in different beer. They had mentioned Pale Ale - and it IS "experimental" for Home Brewers. I have more so we will see.

The #3  - Cooper's HME, 1lb of Special Dark LME, 8 oz Light DME, 0.5 oz EKG hop at flameout. This was more bitter, and EKG was evident. More roast and dark flavors from malt, no obvious choc or coffee, maybe some bitterness, but not unpleasant. Very little residual sweetness, so hops come through. Did not get the stone fruit or richness of the WDA but maybe needs a little bit of the other Malt to give a little residual sweetness too. Maybe time will make some differences to that.

With all, bitterness in the mouth for a while after so they must have fair IBU although not super hoppy  drinking.

All 3 LBKs had very tight trub and they had fermented fast (but I left them 3 weeks). I used 1/3 pack of the Coopers yeast in each. I was able to get all beer out by tilting LBK except maybe less than a shotglass without trub.

It is interesting finding out what the ingredients do to the same base. I had small glasses of each I could sip and compare.

I put less priming than usual in PET bottles -2 DOTS in 750 ml, 3 DOTS in 1L and same as usual (1 DOT) in 12 oz (which I usually do in 12's so as not to explode them).

Now to leave them 4 weeks and see what happens.

• Like 3

Nick, I'm curious to see how your #3 turns out after four weeks of conditioning since your recipe closely mirrors what I came up with to make this ale closer to WDA.   Thanks for updating us!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:52 PM, M42 said:

Nick, I'm curious to see how your #3 turns out after four weeks of conditioning since your recipe closely mirrors what I came up with to make this ale closer to WDA.   Thanks for updating us!

I am very curious about the HBC438 hop in #2, as to whether it has such strange flavors as to make it yucky.

Well, I tried a bottle of the Cooper's Dark Ale and wasn't impressed.  It wasn't even close to WDA.  The best description I can give is that it was thin and weak.  I'm going to let is set for another month and try it again in four week intervals and see if it improves.  For now, it's a big disappointment as was the other Coopers I made last year.  It also was weak and never picked up any body.

I made the Dark Ale with 2 1/2 lbs of DME and filled the fermenter to the 19L level or 5 gallons and not the recommended 6.  I can't imagine how weak it would have been had I made the suggested 6 gallons.  Thus far, I simply haven't been impressed with Coopers and understand why home brewers have a disdain from brewing out of a can.  If Coopers was all I had tried I would feel the same way.  Mr. Beer kits are far better as are Muntons (and yes, I realize Coopers makes Mr. B. now).  I think I'll see if Muntons has anything that might be close to a WDA.  Anyway, that's my short review of Coopers Dark Ale; it ain't no WDA by a long shot.  Good thing I got some Bewitched Amber Ale that will be ready soon.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2016 at 2:26 PM, M42 said:

Well, I tried a bottle of the Cooper's Dark Ale and wasn't impressed.  It wasn't even close to WDA.  The best description I can give is that it was thin and weak.  I'm going to let is set for another month and try it again in four week intervals and see if it improves.  For now, it's a big disappointment as was the other Coopers I made last year.  It also was weak and never picked up any body.

I made the Dark Ale with 2 1/2 lbs of DME and filled the fermenter to the 19L level or 5 gallons and not the recommended 6.  I can't imagine how weak it would have been had I made the suggested 6 gallons.  Thus far, I simply haven't been impressed with Coopers and understand why home brewers have a disdain from brewing out of a can.  If Coopers was all I had tried I would feel the same way.  Mr. Beer kits are far better as are Muntons (and yes, I realize Coopers makes Mr. B. now).  I think I'll see if Muntons has anything that might be close to a WDA.  Anyway, that's my short review of Coopers Dark Ale; it ain't no WDA by a long shot.  Good thing I got some Bewitched Amber Ale that will be ready soon.

That is what I was afraid of. The Mr. Beer WDA had a IBU of 60, and, although I can't find a site that the Cooper's Dark Ale IBU was quoted at, I remember it was in the 20s. To me that suggests the cooper's lacks that awesome hoppy bite that the Mr. Beer kit had. Obviously the IBU can't speak for the maltiness of the WDA, but it sounds like that was lacking as well.

Anyone have any idea which hops were used in the WDA? I would guess something like Northern Brewer, Fuggles, and Styrian Golding or something in that general category of hops.

Of course, waiting a month or two may change things, but the above post is not promising.

I have yet to see @MRB Josh R chime in on these WDA conversations... Dont you have the ingredient list somewhere? I know you know enough to atleast get us very close

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

I have yet to see @MRB Josh R chime in on these WDA conversations... Dont you have the ingredient list somewhere? I know you know enough to atleast get us very close

No clue, unfortunately. It's a proprietary Cooper's product.

28 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Plus that would just spoil all the fun we are having with our experimental attempts. ;)  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Its a secret even if its not being produced anymore? 

Heres my recipe:

coopers dark

hop shot @ 60

done

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

Yes.

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Heres my recipe:

coopers dark

hop shot @ 60

done

Nice try Creeps...?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ICEdaddy said:

That is what I was afraid of. The Mr. Beer WDA had a IBU of 60, and, although I can't find a site that the Cooper's Dark Ale IBU was quoted at, I remember it was in the 20s. To me that suggests the cooper's lacks that awesome hoppy bite that the Mr. Beer kit had. Obviously the IBU can't speak for the maltiness of the WDA, but it sounds like that was lacking as well.

Anyone have any idea which hops were used in the WDA? I would guess something like Northern Brewer, Fuggles, and Styrian Golding or something in that general category of hops.

Of course, waiting a month or two may change things, but the above post is not promising.

It tastes like I doubled the recipe, in other words, like it should be made in a 2 1/2 gallon batch instead of 5.  I know some dark beers take months to come of age and I'm willing to wait awhile and see if this is the case.  Hopefully it will age out nicely.  I don't know what the IBU is.  The website says it is 400 something, but I don't know how to convert that into IBU's.  

I'm still on a quest to find something similar to WDA and I may try another batch with Dark Ale as a base adding some steeping some grains, dark DME and English type hops.  I still don't get why it was discontinued as it seemed to be popular.  When I inquired with Mr. Beer why it was discontinued I was told it was a seasonal offering, but it never appeared in the seasonal section, but rather as one of the craft offerings.  Maybe we should start a petition and see if we can get them to bring it back :)

10 hours ago, M42 said:

I still don't get why it was discontinued as it seemed to be popular.  When I inquired with Mr. Beer why it was discontinued I was told it was a seasonal offering, but it never appeared in the seasonal section, but rather as one of the craft offerings.  Maybe we should start a petition and see if we can get them to bring it back :)

Maybe there was some secret legal issues or something. It really doesnt make sense, its a great HME, the best ive had from MRB so far. 

There is a few regular refills i think could be gotten rid of, but they choose a craft refill instead. The crafts should be your bread and butter, something to really impress your customers with. I just want it back. When it was $5 i should have bought 100 of them. Brewed up 200 gallons and filled 2,000 bottles and then retired and live off my $500 worth of beer and been happy with a poodle to help drink the beer i spill while i steal internet from the starbucks next to my alley house and watch saved by the bell all day and nap when i feel like it and trade WDA for spaghetti o's cuz they have a full serving of veggies in each can and been happy... Forever, me, my alley, my spaghetti o's and my freaking great tasting winter dark ale... And my poodle

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Maybe there was some secret legal issues or something. It really doesnt make sense, its a great HME, the best ive had from MRB so far. 

There is a few regular refills i think could be gotten rid of, but they choose a craft refill instead. The crafts should be your bread and butter, something to really impress your customers with. I just want it back. When it was $5 i should have bought 100 of them. Brewed up 200 gallons and filled 2,000 bottles and then retired and live off my $500 worth of beer and been happy with a poodle to help drink the beer i spill while i steal internet from the starbucks next to my alley house and watch saved by the bell all day and nap when i feel like it and trade WDA for spaghetti o's cuz they have a full serving of veggies in each can and been happy... Forever, me, my alley, my spaghetti o's and my freaking great tasting winter dark ale... And my poodle

I see the new baby is keeping you up at night, eh? ;)

• Like 2

I don't need nothing else! except for this ashtray! and that's all I need! I dnt need anything else! except maybe this paddle game! and that's all I need this ash tray and this paddle game and that's all I need, oh I need these matches! that's all I need is this ash tray this paddle game and these matches! and that's all I need! and maybe this telephone! that's all I need is this ash tray, this paddle game these book of matches and this telephone and that's all I need! and this chair!

• Like 1

Ok Steve Martin (I didn't want to call you a Jerk)... 

• Like 1

This must be some kind of middle aged person inside joke cuz this 30 year old has no idea what youre referencing... Wu tang???

• Like 1

On April 14, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Well, this turned out pretty good.  Ended up using the Chocolate malt, 2-row Carapils and Simpson's Brown Coffee malt with a 7 minute Northern Brewer hop boil.  I could drink this all night but at 7% ABV, one will have to do. ?

I think I got the hops wrong or I should have skipped the boil.  I'm sitting here comparing original Defibrillator Doppelbock against the End Of Winter and the follow-on End of Winter w/grains + NB hops.  The first attempt at a Defibrillator clone is very close -- I honestly can't taste much difference between the two, so I guess I should just be happy with that! ?

• Like 1

Ok Ok Ok, Now im getting into this cuz my Black Moon Rising tasted so good last week.  Someone with more familiar taste buds please try this.  Had to make it a 4 gallon batch for correct ABV.

So... heres my logic.  Using @Bonsai & Brew 's suggestion on hops cuz I trust him.  Good dude though. Using Extract cuz... Lets keep it simple people.  According to Qbrew Winter Dark by itself is 75 IBU's, 23 SRM, and 3.9 % ABV.  From my own tastes I would say chocolate, toffee, sweet, yet hoppy.  Lets get down to business

Creepy Winter Clone

Recipe   Creepy Winter Clone   Style   American IPA
Brewer       Batch   4.00 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.040 OG   Estimated FG   1.010 FG
Recipe Bitterness   75 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   3.9%
Recipe Color   22° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   3.0%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
3.30 lb   Briess DME - Traditional Dark   Extract   Extract
0.50 lb   Chocolate Malt (US)- [Chocolate, Coffee, Nutty, Toasted]   Grain   Mashed
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
2.20 oz   Northern Brewer (Germany) - Multi-purpose bittering hop with other hops woody/earthy/fruity aroma and flavor   Pellet   60 minutes
Quantity   Misc

So, Briess Dark LME consists of:

INGREDIENTS

54% Munich Malt 10L

30% Base Malt

13% Caramel Malt 60

3% Black Malt

FLAVOR

Sweet, Intense, Malty

What do you think?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:
Creepy Winter Clone

Recipe   Creepy Winter Clone   Style   American IPA
Brewer       Batch   4.00 gal

FLAVOR

Sweet, Intense, Malty

What do you think?

This sounds good, you'll have to let us know how it turns out.

how ironic the title is The End of Winter Dark Ale?? the WDA in the bourbon barrel probably will be ready by winter, so to me it'll be the Beginning of The Winter Dark Bourbon Ale

• Like 1

Just to clarify @Creeps McLane, the batch that I made with grains + Northern Brewer is really good (I'm having the leftovers from last night's taste test right now), but IMO not a match for the Defibrillator.  It just seemed to overpower the beer at least compared to my last bottle of DD.  Good luck with Creepy Winter Clone though -- looks like my kind of beer! ?

• Like 1

The more I think about this, the more determined I am to figure out what's going on with the grains + NB hops.  For all I know, the 'extra' flavor may have come from the grains.  I only did a 7-min. NB hop boil, so if anything, all I did is add some aroma.  Wonder which of the grains is responsible?  I used Chateau Chocolate, 2-row Carapils and Simpson's Coffee malts.  So, back to @Creeps McLane, brew the Creepy Dark Winter as is and let us know!  Gonna ferment that with S-04? ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

The more I think about this, the more determined I am to figure out what's going on with the grains + NB hops.  For all I know, the 'extra' flavor may have come from the grains.  I only did a 7-min. NB hop boil, so if anything, all I did is add some aroma.  Wonder which of the grains is responsible?  I used Chateau Chocolate, 2-row Carapils and Simpson's Coffee malts.  So, back to @Creeps McLane, brew the Creepy Dark Winter as is and let us know!  Gonna ferment that with S-04? ?

I hadnt thought much about the yeast.  Id probably use 05 since thats what ive previously used with the WDA.  Just to see how close I am, ya know?

OK, well if you make the Cooper's dark ale to their recipe it will be "weak" it is only touted at 3.5% with the can and Booster they need as well - lol.

But it is a satisfactory "Mild Ale".

That is why I made it up to stronger in the other 2 tries I did in the 1-->3 split. (Posted earlier in this thread.)

I think so far (very early) I like #2 the best.

An update on the Dark Ale I brewed.  I previously reported that after five weeks of conditioning I was disappointed in the ale as it was weak and thin.  I tried another bottle after two more weeks conditioning and am happy to report it is much improved.  Although not a top rated beer, it has developed more body and flavor and I can see potential in this brew.  The flavor profile that's developing reminds me of the Muntons Nut Brown Ale I brewed last summer and if it continues to improve and reaches the level of the Muntons (which was just like a Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale)  I will be very happy with it.  It's at seven weeks conditioning now and I'm thinking another two or three weeks will make this a pretty good beer.  Still not substitute for the WDA as it is, but it may serve as a base adding some dark DME, chocolate malt grains and with the correct hops it may get close.  I like to experiment, so we'll see what I create with the next batch.  As long as it's drinkable I'm good.

• Like 1

Opened a bottle of standard dark ale. Can + booster. It continues to be a nice tasting balanced mild ale. Very sessionable.  Was good with french toast. All it lacked was head retention. 

Tried another bottle at two months conditioning now.  It's no longer thin and weak as I reported in my initial review.  This one takes some aging and may not improve much more as it is only a little better than the last one I tried two weeks back.  As it now stands it is a decent beer and the flavor profile is close to the Munton's Nut Brown Ale, just a little lighter.  It's no substitute for WDA, but I would brew it again.  As Nickfixit said it lacks head retention, but that's not a complaint.  The Munton's had an excellent head.